PDA

View Full Version : Who's the new cutting edge?

rogue
05-08-2003, 11:50 AM
I've been wondering if MA have gotten complacent again. Everything from JDK to TKD seem to be in a rut as far as innovation goes. In the past we had Oyama, Lee and the Gracies to name just a few who attacked the current dogma of their peers. Who do you believe is currently thinking outside of the box when it comes to the martial arts.

Or has the box become so big that it's harder to be an innovator or even a resucitator(sp)? :)

Black Jack
05-08-2003, 11:54 AM
Does it have to be a box. Are you a bigot against triangles?

yenhoi
05-08-2003, 12:05 PM
Im a fan of triangles too.

Full contact weapon fighting is the cutting edge rogue, literally.

:eek:

Suntzu
05-08-2003, 12:13 PM
I'll have to go with a lot of the 'reality' and MMA guys… Tony Blauer… Team Militich(sp?)… American Top Team… Coach Sonnon… gotta big up USA San Shou… Matt Thornton… folks like that… they re-remove the fantasy that MA was associated with for the past few...
it will be interesting to see the changes MA makes now that it has to look at itself in the mirror with no makeup…

Ray Pina
05-08-2003, 01:07 PM
I believe when the folks truly studying Hsing-I and good Ba Gua now, when they make it their own and start going out ... I believe there will be a revolution in martial thought.

This is just my opinion. But it's becoming more popular now and people are learning ... the UFC and what not has shown those truly interested what aproach to training is realistic and what is fanciful notions of "kung fu".

You see it here even on this board. There are those truly exploring knife fighting and h2h combat and really searching. This is good! We'll all find our own way and encounter and influence others. I believe MA is beginning to turn around. I think all the chop suey movies had their impact but there is no denying reality fighting events. They are waking people up ... even the Gracies. One time legends ... absolutely! But they will have to evolve too or they will be has beens instead of watch outs.

I think it's a great time to be a martial artist ... so much info out there. Yes, there's A LOT of crap. That's OK ... the bills need to be paid. But for those who have developed an eye ... there's good stuff out there too.

Martial Artists greatest enemy right now is themselves ... it's easy to get caught up ... train, test, train.

I'm interested to see where all the pieces fall in 5 years.

Ben Gash
05-08-2003, 01:42 PM
Were those people stand-out innovators or good self publicists ? Just because you aren't reading about stuff in magazines doesn't mean it's not happening.
I'm really heartened by the growing number of grass roots traditional yet functional kung fu schools in this country. Guys who appreciate the historical and artistic aspects of CMA but at the same time fully understand that it has to work for real and they aren't snobbish about what other styles have to offer.

Suntzu
05-08-2003, 02:01 PM
publicity is only part of their 'success'… how many of these 'tradional' guys pump themselves up but are only selling BS… obviously what they do works… they have people under them that shows and proves… all of these cutting edge undergrounders that u speak of... its all good... i dont know them... and it doesn't make them any less legit... but i was giving examples of who i'm familiar with and can easily be researched as to what they have to offer...

Shuul Vis
05-08-2003, 02:18 PM
well i dont think the power rangers get enough credit.

Sin The'
05-08-2003, 03:08 PM
Shao-Lin Do has been and always will be the cutting edge. The rest are merely child's games.

NorthernMantis
05-08-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by yenhoi
Im a fan of triangles too.

Full contact weapon fighting is the cutting edge rogue, literally.

:eek:

True, I saw a tournament clip a while back with people sparring with spears. Pretty cool stuff.