PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Plea For Sanity

taltos
05-09-2003, 08:27 AM
I would like to propose a course of action for the future...

If someone on the forum posts something that is off-topic, "trolling," insulting, or otherwise distracting to the discussion at hand, please try one or both of the following two options:

1. Ignore it. If you don't respond, they can't draw you out of the real discussion. Don't even post to tell them that you are ignoring them, just ignore them.

2. Report it to the moderator if it is in violation of a rule. If it is a violation, it will be removed. Maybe not immidiately, but it will come down eventually. That's why Sandman is here - to ensure that we follow the rules and that each message complies with the rules.

If you absolutely cannot ignore it, and you don't feel like reporting it to the moderator, add that member to your Ignore list. Now you never have to get all worked up over nothing again.

If everybody engaged in at least one of the three options above, it would not take long for bandwidth to clear and posts to become substantial and maneagble. This would open more time for actual WC practice, and less time for keyboard wars and elevated stress levels.

Again, I am in no position to tell anyone what to do, nor would I presume to. I am merely offering up a potential solution to the main issue that seems to be plaguing the forum. When things are going smoothly, I enjoy the discussions, even if I disagree with everything being said. If it stays respectful and open, I have to acknowledge and respect everyone's honest opinion.

Any takers?

-Levi

reneritchie
05-09-2003, 08:37 AM
Well said, and done!

kj
05-09-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by taltos
I would like to propose a course of action for the future...

If someone on the forum posts something that is off-topic, "trolling," insulting, or otherwise distracting to the discussion at hand, please try one or both of the following two options:

1. Ignore it. If you don't respond, they can't draw you out of the real discussion. Don't even post to tell them that you are ignoring them, just ignore them.

2. Report it to the moderator if it is in violation of a rule. If it is a violation, it will be removed. Maybe not immidiately, but it will come down eventually. That's why Sandman is here - to ensure that we follow the rules and that each message complies with the rules.

If you absolutely cannot ignore it, and you don't feel like reporting it to the moderator, add that member to your Ignore list. Now you never have to get all worked up over nothing again.

If everybody engaged in at least one of the three options above, it would not take long for bandwidth to clear and posts to become substantial and maneagble. This would open more time for actual WC practice, and less time for keyboard wars and elevated stress levels.<snip>

Simple logic. Amen.

If you reward behaviors by giving them attention (positive or negative) they'll never cease. Ignoring behaviors (desirable or undesirable) is one of the most effective ways of extinguishing them.

Any takers?

Save an occasional slip up, it's my general policy.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo