PDA

View Full Version : Lineage specific????

azwingchun
05-09-2003, 09:11 AM
Out of all seriousness, when people talk about not discussing things in a lineage specific manner, don't we all do this? No matter what the topic or thread is at hand, we all speak from personal experience. This being from out of personal experience and training from whatever lineage(s) that may be.

I don't care if it is HFY or YMWC, we are speaking in terms of what we know. Just because we may not mention the name of the lineage we are doing the same thing. Correct???? But as soon as someone mentions a certain tile of school people seem to go off. Why is this?

I feel the best way to handle such issues is to put aside personal feelings and discuss the topic at hand, regardless of what lineage it stems from. Again, whether you or I like rene's, Savi's, Terence's or anyone else's point of view shouldn't be the issue. The idea of the forum to me is to learn from everyone and to keep an open mind. Not to mention to learn from everyone here.

Just my two cents. ;)

reneritchie
05-09-2003, 09:18 AM
There's a difference in *how* you do it. Most people, unfortunately aren't mature enough to handle it properly.

The good way: express what you learned, listen to what other's learned, explore the differences and similarities and gain insight into your own methods as you gain knowledge of others.

The bad way: say your lineage does something one way, the only real true way. If anyone differs, they are directly challenging the truth of your lineage and the word of your sifu, and are obviously practicing an inferior, less complete, etc. art. If they don't immediately realize and admit that, they are close minded and are attacking you and you must retaliate...

In order to beneficially discuss lineage specifics, you need to be knowledgeable and experienced in your own lineage, but confident enough not to see disagreement as a threat to it, and wise enough to know no one person or lineage has a monopoly on truth.

azwingchun
05-09-2003, 11:49 AM
I can agree with you in a sense, I for one will never say that I am the best or the only way. I always refer to the human factor of humans aren't perfect and therefore make errors. But at the same time, there is nothing wrong with stating this is how we do it, and this is why we do it, and this is why we feel it is a better approach.

Right or wrong, there isn't anything wrong with being confident in what you do. As long as it isn't done in a c@cky manner, and as long as you can present the reasons why you feel this way. I do believe in being humble myself.

I am of the mind frame that we can all learn from each other, regardless of how it is presented. Though, I also understand that if something is presented in a certain manner that it turns people away. But sometimes that is also due to the arrogance of that individual as well. Though, again this is just my opinion.

;)

desertwingchun2
05-09-2003, 11:53 AM
John you are wise to recognize that this is possible. I have been following the threads recently a little closer. The statement I've made many times over regarding a few bad apples that spoil the bunch is being proven correct over and over again. All the banter stems from a few and their continuous insults.

Someone recently had a thought to start a thread where lineage isn't discusssed at all. That would be great. The threads would be more productive and the one's that wish to detract would be filtered out rapidly. Reason being is, we would be all discussing our understanding of a certain topic. The only way to attempt to cause conflict would be in essence saying "I don't have that same view." Then what would happen? We would actually have something else to discuss.

Here's to hoping ....

-David

azwingchun
05-09-2003, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the compliment. LOL!!! But I really believe if once we all can (if possible) set aside our own egos this forum would be much healthier for all. And maybe, just maybe we can learn from each other. Regardless of the differences, whatever they may be. ;)