PDA

View Full Version : kuk sool won general discussion

netfreak
05-09-2003, 09:48 AM
Here's a topic that will keep everyone busy for a while. Kuk sool won is said to be traditional, around 2000 years, born in korea, others say that it has (just like all other arts) roots in shaolin, and that some koreans are commercializing it to be something like 5000 years old. I've read plenty on the "system", and really don't care about much of the debate on it. Just so long as it's effective in self defense, that's what is really important.
How about you guys?

yenhoi
05-13-2003, 03:45 PM
How do you judge a system's effectiveness at self defense?

Systems dont fight, people do.

What is self defense?

What is effectiveness?

:eek:

rogue
05-13-2003, 09:28 PM
Isn't ksw based on hapkido?

netfreak
05-14-2003, 10:08 AM
Some people argue that it's based on hapkido, while hapkido was based on jujutsu, while others say that it's a completely traditional martial art from korea with no influences from other countries. I know that systems don't fight, that it's the people who do, but different systems teach different things, i just choose the one that is most suited for me. I'm still trying to arrange my time in order to train.

Former castleva
05-31-2003, 08:58 AM
My knowledge of kuk won sool is very limited but I doubt it is based on hapkido,maybe related but hardly based.

It is well-established knowledge that hapkido derives from jujutsu,and certain other arts to some degree.

chen zhen
05-31-2003, 10:45 AM
is it related to Wharang-Do?(sp?):confused:

Former castleva
05-31-2003, 11:06 AM
You must mean hwa-rang-do.
I have not heard of such a connection,some say hapkido and hwa-rang are very similar but thatīs how much I know.

chen zhen
05-31-2003, 12:04 PM
Wha-rang do is supposed to be based on the ancient fighting arts of the medieval warrior castes of Korea.. sorta like the korean version of the Samurai.

So I don't really know what's based on what.
I'm not really up to date KMA-wise

MonkeySlap Too
06-02-2003, 10:07 AM
Hwarang-Do and Kuk Sool Won both taught out of the same manual back in Korea.

Both are definitely in the same stream as Hapkido, but with some additions.

rogue
06-02-2003, 02:14 PM
There's a lot of weirdness in the Korean martial arts and very hard to get a straight story.

But....

The HRD, KSW connection. (http://www.hwarang.org/Contemporary.html)

More (http://www.hwarang.org/Personal.html) Search for Kuk sool