PDA

View Full Version : The elements of Power

marcelino31
05-09-2003, 11:52 AM
How does your WC deal with power in theory, application, and development. How do you receive an opponent's power -- do you move towards it, away from it, absorb it etc.

I am looking for answers related to: centeredness, relaxation, alignment, connection, grounding, uprooting, and spiraling.

TjD
05-09-2003, 12:57 PM
for receiving, structure is key.

i look at this in terms of the three hands: tan, fook and bong.

if my structure is good i can use them aggressively:
tan - wedge through to strike
fook - absorb
bong - jam/uproot

if my structure is poor or the incoming force is too strong, i have to resort to using them more passively:
tan - disperse
fook - redirect using the elbow joint to let it pass by
bong - redirect using the shoulder joint to let it pass by

if im in really bad shape and the above wont save me, retreat or sidestepping is the last option.

for generating and developing power, it's all in the wooden dummy/biu jee. practicing the dummy develops a good strong root and proper timing. practicing biu jee teaches the more subtle waist/leg movements involved in generating a lot of power. basically, use your stance, if you're uprooted by the dummy your timing and/or structure is off. practice until you're not. stay relaxed.

taltos
05-10-2003, 07:02 PM
As I progressed into the latter stages of my WC training and began to see the depth of the art, it became glaringly apparent to me that true power only really comes from the entire body being behind a motion in correct alignment.

When I stopped trying to punch HARDER and started trying to punch MORE PERFECTLY, I began to punch HARDER. And so it was with everything else.

When I had no stability or mobility (i.e. no true foundation or center), it didn't matter how much oomph I put behind something: it was inneffective.

However, proper root, and proper structure to take advantage of root and skeletal alignment, made everything fall into place.

Relaxation played a huge part in my ability to generate power as well. When I punched more like a whip and less like a baseball bat, I imparted the same force in a smaller window of time, and it had a greater energetic impact on my sihindai.

-Levi

EnterTheWhip
05-10-2003, 09:42 PM
yes, to everything.

marcelino31
05-11-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by taltos
As I progressed into the latter stages of my WC training and began to see the depth of the art, it became glaringly apparent to me that true power only really comes from the entire body being behind a motion in correct alignment.

When I stopped trying to punch HARDER and started trying to punch MORE PERFECTLY, I began to punch HARDER. And so it was with everything else.

When I had no stability or mobility (i.e. no true foundation or center), it didn't matter how much oomph I put behind something: it was inneffective.

However, proper root, and proper structure to take advantage of root and skeletal alignment, made everything fall into place.

Relaxation played a huge part in my ability to generate power as well. When I punched more like a whip and less like a baseball bat, I imparted the same force in a smaller window of time, and it had a greater energetic impact on my sihindai.

-Levi

Good reply!