PDA

View Full Version : martial nutrition

reneritchie
05-09-2003, 01:48 PM
This is spun from the discussion on the Cadio thread with Andrew. Does anyone have any thoughts on what/when to eat to help maximize workouts?

I've read some on eating protein before a workout, carbs after, but has anyone really looked into this?

dzu
05-09-2003, 02:06 PM
I salute you Rene!

I've read that the best method to replenish yourself after a workout is a combination of high glycemic carbs combined with whey protein or some other highly bioavailable protein source. The high glycemic carbs will help to increase the rate of protein absorption and post workout is the optimal time to do it. I try to do this within an hour after finishing my workout and will eat a semi sensible meal afterwards.

For pre workout energy, I usually carb load the night before I run and then try and eat a light snack an hour or two before a run or workout.

Also, I try to stay hydrated by drinking throughout the day and an hour or two before a run/workout, I'll drink 16 oz of water. About 15 mins before a run, I'll drink another 8 oz of water.

I've been focusing more on stamina and endurance lately and have been running more and just maintaining in my lifts. I haven't been using whey protein or supplements lately due to costs. I'm using mostly eggs/eggwhites, tuna, lean steak, chicken, turkey, and fish for my main protein sources. For fats I've been eating a variety of nuts and nut butters as well as the occasional yielding to my cheese craving. I just try to stay moderate in my diet and let my body rest when it needs it.

Stay away from poutine and Taco Bell and you should be OK :)

Dzu

reneritchie
05-09-2003, 02:10 PM
Dzu,

I double salute you! Nice new website, BTW, please put up more pics of Dave being pounded!

high glycemic carbs

Anything particular you recommend?

Two other questions:

Late night eating? I typically finish training 9:30ish at night. Do you still eat protein and a meal after that? I usually find the meal too heavy late at night.

Early morning eating? What're the thoughts on first-thing-up-breakfast type stuff?

dzu
05-09-2003, 02:26 PM
I've read that it's best to stop eating after anywhere between 7-9pm. I've tried eating some protein with a minor amount of carbs before bed and it seems to help the next day. I wake up early on a more regular basis and feel more refreshed. Eating too late (especially high carb meals) tends to make me sluggish the next morning.

If you're training hard I'd err on the side of eating late rather than eating nothing at all. On the occasion I come back late, I'll have some protein (palm sized piece of meat or some deli turkey/roastbeef) with a handful of almonds or cheese and a small piece of fruit. Or I might stop off at a mexican food place and get a carne asada burrito :P I've tried taking meal replacement shakes instead, but they tend to bloat me up and I'm hungry again 1 hour later.

As for breakfast, I'll eat some non instant oatmeal with some fruit or honey, add some nuts and finish with an egg white omlet. Sometimes I'll mix it up with whole wheat toast, or half a bagel with some cream cheese.

My eating is based upon one principle: eat what I like in moderation with lots of variety and keep the macro nutrients in balance. I've tried counting calories but it's a real pain and takes a lot of discipline to do.

Dzu

Ernie
05-09-2003, 02:59 PM
dzu,
health and fitness are my life and some times my lively hood , your advice and break down of what to eat when and what not to eat . is by far the best I've seen on a martial art forum and best of all you kept it practical, I'm a vegetarian and I train a lot more then the average Joe '' got no kids and allot of time'' so my diet or should I say fuel source is a bit more intense and specific combined with supplements . but your info is much more universal , good post man.

jesper
05-10-2003, 05:28 AM
another thing is that you should eat more often than what is common.
The best thing is to have 5-6 smaller meals a day instead of 3 big meals. That way your system will always have fuel to burn which helps in restitution.

As for eating late, contrary to common belief its actually a good thing. The reason is that nighttime is where you repair the biggest part of the muscles you damaged during your training, so it makes sense you need to have your fuel reserves stacked up.

Alpha Dog
05-10-2003, 05:31 AM
What did Yip Man eat? From the looks of it, one bowl of rice every three days.

kj
05-10-2003, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by Alpha Dog
What did Yip Man eat? From the looks of it, one bowl of rice every three days.

At one time I fancied you were the 2nd biggest troll on this forum. Then you span the tale of Don Chi Sau. (I still wonder how it ends.) You crack me up.

Welcome back, and thanks for the morning chuckle.

Regards,
- kj

Alpha Dog
05-10-2003, 05:58 AM
In fact I was just on the phone last night with Aaron Spelling about the ending to Don Chisao. Will keep you posted.

Okay, it's already written! But I can't release it yet.

yenhoi
05-10-2003, 08:32 AM
At any rate everyones metabolism is different. My suggestion is to experiment with many different nutrition systems for yourself and actually feel what makes the difference where.

Garlic before qigong = bad idea.

:D

yuanfen
05-10-2003, 08:46 AM
Alpha Dog sez:

What did Yip Man eat? From the looks of it, one bowl of rice every three days
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Gandhi too and he walked the length and breadth of a large land mass.... miles and miles every day- without orthotics!!

Rice, some lentils and fruit and yogurt.

Too bad I discovered Krispy Kreme- (I need a lawyer to sue them)but I try to limit myself to nibbling on the holes-the disctinctive thing about donuts!!

AndrewS
05-10-2003, 11:42 AM
Alphadog,

what do the words 'cancer wasting syndrome' and 'cachexin' mean to you?

Andrew

yuanfen
05-10-2003, 02:13 PM
True for the late years of Ip man- not true for Gandhi- weighed about 90 pounds- amazing stamina.

The earlier pics of Ip man didnt have the wasted look- but he was still fairly light in weight.

reneritchie
05-12-2003, 10:44 AM
Thanks Dzu, that's just what I was looking for! Una Grande Saluta to you!

Guile
05-14-2003, 12:22 PM
i EAT 20 OZ OF CHOCLATE.
mmm
:D
I guess thats why I have a belly

AndrewS
05-14-2003, 12:33 PM
Hey Rene,

just noticed this thread again-

I generally have a protein shake post-workout. If I'm doing serioius strength work and/or am trying to add mass, I'll go with high protein real foods an hour or two later to get me through the night. If the next day is going to be something brutal, I may stock up on some carbs.

Later,

Andrew