PDA

View Full Version : Who did Bruce Lee teach JKD to?

Skarbromantis
05-09-2003, 04:42 PM
Did he teach anyone the JKD system?

Did anyone get the system, or at least what he developed before he died?

Serious Question

Skard1

Cyborg
05-10-2003, 06:16 AM
"Did anyone get the system, or at least what he developed before he died?"

Are you serious? 'Cuz I hate responding to trolls...

JKD is not meant to be a system. It's meant to be a "way". It is his collection of theories. Now if you mean the actual techniques, that's a different thing entirely. He taught different things to different people depending on where (timeline) he was in his life.

yenhoi
05-10-2003, 08:26 AM
Good book to check out would be "JKD Conversations."

Cyborg is on it, there is no JKD system. There is a Jun fan Gung Fu system, however, and Dan Inosanto's academy would be a good place to start if your looking for what "is" JKD.

I would also check into Ted Wong.

:eek:

Skarbromantis
05-10-2003, 07:20 PM
Thanks, and yes im serious, I dont study JKD but the question was always in my mind, so its not a system, I think I understand, still alitte confused :confused: why I ask is I bought a early bruce lee book, called chinese gung fu, on the cover he is in a traditional outfit, good book, but I just got to think so I thought to ask, anyother info into the JKD style? system? would help, thanks again.

Skard1

yenhoi
05-12-2003, 01:48 PM
KFO has a link on the cover page to a "Hardcore JKD roundtable," which is very limited in info, but has plenty of links to lots of JKD places and resources on the net.

Keep an open mind, the realm of JKD, like all Martial Arts, is full of red, blue, green, yellow, and white tape.

Skarbromantis
05-13-2003, 11:16 AM
Yenhoi thanks i'll keep that in mind, anyone know any about this book, Chinese Gung Fu?, comments on the book?

Skard1

yenhoi
05-13-2003, 11:21 AM
Its just a little tiny book Bruce Lee wrote as a thesis paper for the University of Seattle or some such.

Good warmups, and clear applications considering the time period.

Its also the only book ever intentionally published by Bruce Lee.

HuangKaiVun
05-15-2003, 01:52 PM
Bruce Lee's "Chinese Gung Fu" book is basically a scrapbook of the knowledge he accumulated over the first part of his life.

Up to that point, he had studied the differences between the different martial arts. Not until he made "JKD" did he begin to perceive the similarities.

Though Lee's attitude was in the right place, it is my opinion that his training methods had not evolved to the point where he didn't have to throw away the classical techniques that had a big role in making him "Bruce Lee".

My feeling is that had Bruce Lee lived to the age of about 50 or 60, he would've invented up forms containing very simple movements that could be fanned out into sophisticated ones.

Cyborg
05-15-2003, 04:45 PM
"My feeling is that had Bruce Lee lived to the age of about 50 or 60, he would've invented up forms containing very simple movements that could be fanned out into sophisticated ones."

My feeling is that he wouldn't have. He had already thrown out the "dead patterns" and shut his official schools down as he didn't want them to return.

I have trained with Ted Wong and I'm VERY impressed.

HuangKaiVun
05-16-2003, 09:40 PM
Very well could be.

Then again, I have a feeling Bruce Lee never ran into some of the more traditional kung fu arts that emerged AFTER Red China allowed more people to leave its borders.

Many of the arts (particularly the authentic combat Neijiagong which was completely unknown to Southeast Asia and the West until recently) did not emerge until the early 90s, long after Lee was dead.

Had Lee been alive, he'd have to have acknowledged the fighting skill of the authentic traditional fighters. Some of those guys can REALLY FIGHT.

He may not necessarily have agreed with the methods, but he would've had some fun duking it out with practitioners of those methods.

Repulsive Monkey
05-22-2003, 09:11 AM
I think there are many he didn't come into contact with too. I'm quite sure that in fight situations he came against very few internalists.

method man
08-22-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Skarbromantis
Did he teach anyone the JKD system?

Did anyone get the system, or at least what he developed before he died?

Serious Question

Skard1

how da'heck this matter???? he taught nobody since 1973. if nobody learnt everything before 1973 u think they all been doin' nuthin' for the last 30year or what??????

Ego_Extrodinaire
09-10-2003, 07:48 AM
Method Man,

Hack it matters. Bruce Lee is supposed to be the originator of JKD. If he taugght it to no one and the only records of JKD are his srap notes and a university assignment he did the night before don't you think the legend of Bruce Lee is built on foundations as shaky as his stances.

Let's talk about his fighting skills - it is concluded in another post that even that is brought to question.

Let's talk about his acting - he is a side kick known as the Green Hornet and David Caridine was chosen to be the lead actor of Kung Fu instead of Bruce.

A style which he did not teach, fights no one saw him won, acting that is bad. The perception of Bruce Lee today lies in Hollywood myth.

Ego_Extrodinaire
09-12-2003, 05:35 PM
Empty Cup,

Your right, before Chuck Noris became the Walker Texas Ranger he played the bad guy in Bruce Lee movies - starring Bruce Lee. Chuck Noris lost every time even though on many occasions he would be on the verge of winning. I witnessed that with a couple of hundred people - in the cinemas.

No one can say that they can beat Bruce otherwise they'll be called phoneys and liers. But if you say you'd fought Bruce or even better - had a chat with him afterwards - you can write a book and make millions.

Ego_Extrodinaire
09-15-2003, 07:26 AM
EmptyCup:

It is obvious that Bruce learned from Chuck and not the other way round. If Chuck thought Bruce was so good as to follow him around, then why would be not want to admit in public that he learned from Bruce? Use your brain boy!

Of course Chuck or Joe today will say they learned from Bruce because that's about the only politically correct thing to say. There can only be a diminishing number of people who have learned from Bruce as time goes by and accordinlgy the value of this stature increases. Am I not correct?

Bruce and Chuck were probably just good friends from way back. Both were interested in martial arts and maybe Chuck just got on well with Bruce. It's just that hollywood found Bruce and made a monster of a man out of a 5'7" egotistical kung fu no hoper.

Ego_Extrodinaire
09-16-2003, 04:09 AM
Bruce was just some loser for chuck to kick around in real life. The tables turn when they're on the film set. sounds fair to me. Anyway David Caradine also wrote a book and had good kung fu moves in the television series. Smart man.

apoweyn
09-16-2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Ego_Extrodinaire
Bruce was just some loser for chuck to kick around in real life. The tables turn when they're on the film set. sounds fair to me. Anyway David Caradine also wrote a book and had good kung fu moves in the television series. Smart man.

Now I know you're trolling.

Yung Apprentice
09-28-2003, 02:50 PM
Chuck was an AMDITTED student of Bruce, but that didn't mean Bruce did learn from Chuck. Even Bruce Lee said there were a couple theories that he and Chuck disagreed on, and Chuck actually proved him wrong.

Yung Apprentice
09-29-2003, 11:08 PM
when did chuck admit this

In his book.

the point is that bruce was chuck's sifu for a time. it was not an exchange of ideas between two equals.

Sifu's don't stop learning. The only difference between them and students, is that they teach. Chuck was from another disicipline. Bruce picked up movements from many different arts, and I'm sure he picked up quite a few things from Chuck. I know for sure, Bruce didn't believe in high kicks before meeting Chuck, that was in his Chuck's book too.

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-01-2003, 05:35 AM
Empty Cup

Bruce was not a believer in anything except his role as the green hornet. David Caridine got the part in Kung Fu instead of Bruce and he too wrote a book.

Maybe you should read this book for inspiration. I don't think you are ready to read Chuck's book at your level of understanding.

Vash
10-01-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Ego_Extrodinaire
Empty Cup
I don't think you are ready to read Chuck's book at your level of understanding.

Holy Goodness. Excuse me, I need to wash out my eyes with ethynol . . .

yenhoi
10-01-2003, 10:39 PM
wow.

lol

:confused:

Ego_Extrodinaire
10-04-2003, 07:23 PM
EmptyCup,

If Bruce has been diagnosed with Hep A - a symptom being Jaundice, it would be irresponsible for him to apply for an acting role or anyother role for that matter until his condition has been treated.

The cause of his yellow skin (Hep A) is contageous. Bruce should learn to wash his hands before he eats or least learn not to drink from the toilet bowl.

dezhen2001
10-05-2003, 03:35 AM
good to see you back ego... saying as the northern/southern guys scared you off (and the ngo chor guys too) youre now bashing JKD :rolleyes:

dawood