PDA

View Full Version : Hip Injury

Viper555
05-10-2003, 02:49 PM
It started when we began to Hsing I at the beginning of my kung fu class for warms up. After about a week of doing these my left hip started to hurt and it was painful to try and do the animal drills anymore. Well I let it rest for about 5 days. On the fifth day of resting it I went swimming and whenever I went to jump into my pool I raised up my left leg any my hip popped. It hurt like hell. I laied on the bottom of the pool until I had to come up for air and then I laid on the side of the pool for about 10 minutes before it finally stopped hurting.

That was a couple of days ago. After that happend kicking with that leg has been out of the question. I've begun stretching it and trying to do low kicks to get in some training but it still is painful to do this.

Basically my question is this: What in the hell did I do to my hip and how long should I rest it?

Becca
05-10-2003, 09:19 PM
All kinds of help at this link:
www.fit4martialarts.com (fttp//:fit4martialarts.com

It sounds like you may have pulled a ligament. I dislocated my hip seven years ago, and it still pesters me.
Ligaments get very little blood supply, so they heal slowly. For starters, you need to give it more than five days of rest. Two weeks of no stretching at least. Then work in some light stretching. Lay off splits all together for a while. It will take a lot of time to rehab it, but if you rush things, you could develop tendonitis, which can't be fully healed at all, as tendons do not get any direct blood supply. (learned that lesson with an ankle injury)

Becca
05-10-2003, 09:36 PM
Forgot to add that you probably injured it by not warming up properly in the first place. It takes me ten minutes to warm up my hips for regular class. I need more than that if we are going to be working kicks or leaps. The last time I didn't take enough time to warm up, I agrivated the scar tissue of my injured ligament and had to take nearly a month off right before rank test. I failed my horse stance because I couldn't hold it or get very low, and almost failed the test altogether.

Guile
05-14-2003, 09:49 AM
No kicks for you for a while! :mad:

TenTigers
05-15-2003, 06:29 AM
here's food for thought-I was getting tendon and ligament damage for the past two years and couldn't undestand why. until I realized that two years ago (during the anthrax scare) I came down with pneumonia and was put on cipro. One of the side effects of cip[ro and quite a few other strong antibiotics is weakening of the tendons. I am still recovering from a tendon/muscle tear in the brachialis all the way up to my shoulder-from doing hammer curls. Oh well-"fall down seven times, get up eight"