PDA

View Full Version : Me = graduate

IronFist
05-10-2003, 07:35 PM
I just came back from my college ("University" if you're not in the US :D ) graduation ceremony. I finished finals on Tuesday but it wasn't official until today.

So I now have B.S. in Information Technology. :D

Soon begins a night of drinking :D :D :D

Now it's off to find a job...

Or maybe come back for a masters...

Oh yeah, has anyone taken GMATs? Are they hard?

IronFist

shaolin kungfu
05-10-2003, 08:15 PM
Congratulations!

Becca
05-10-2003, 08:22 PM
Yes, they can be. My degree is an AS of CIS, if that is any help placing waght on my answer, but I did have 7 years OJT experience as well. My recomendation is to take 'em twice. Once to see what you need to know, and a second time to actually pass 'em. That theory works for most certs, especially MCSE and MSDBA.

JAZA
05-10-2003, 10:25 PM
Congratulations, there are some gmat and gre sample at www.800score.com/ and others sites.
They are not harder than college, but you have to remember some first year concepts.

SevenStar
05-10-2003, 10:52 PM
congrats, bud.

Sho
05-11-2003, 02:46 AM
Congrats, dude! Work for a while and then go for the masters.

Former castleva
05-11-2003, 05:37 AM
Gongrats.

bodhitree
05-11-2003, 05:43 AM
Thats terrific, congratulations

FatherDog
05-11-2003, 08:54 AM
Congratulations, Iron! Good luck in the job search. Enjoy the drinking :D

guohuen
05-11-2003, 08:59 AM
Congratulations Iron fist.

dezhen2001
05-11-2003, 09:03 AM
well done buddy - i hope i can graduate this year... already resitting my final year coz of financial probs... hope i can finish my classes this summer :)

dawood

Sho
05-11-2003, 09:44 AM
Good luck, dezhen! :cool:

dezhen2001
05-11-2003, 10:02 AM
thanks man, im gonna need it :D got to finish 3 classes this week and hand them in, then a 10 000 word essay during the summer :eek:

dawood

IronFist
05-11-2003, 11:41 AM
Thanks guys.

I'm just thinking about my masters right now because the overall job market is not the greatest right now (except for for the marketing guys). So... hmmm... I dunno. I think I'm just going to chill for a while and see what happens.

IronFist

joedoe
05-11-2003, 03:50 PM
Congratulations IronFist.

norther practitioner
05-11-2003, 04:14 PM
Congrats and good luck!

TjD
05-11-2003, 04:37 PM
congrats on graduating IF... i know what your feeling (just graduated myself).

took the GREs last summer and the computer science subject GRE a couple months ago.

GREs werent bad with studying (except for the verbal, but as a CS major english isn't my strong point). CS GRE was a bit harder :D

luckily i still got into grad school, woo woo

anyways, have a beer or 3 for me :D

Laughing Cow
05-11-2003, 04:40 PM
Ironfist.

Congrats.

Here is also some of my own experience, if the job market is bad most companies won't hire highly qualified people unless they are the top of the crop.

With the job situation being bad they got a large pool of applicants to choose from and normally will hire a less skilled and cheaper worker that they can train up.

Having had a good education can bite you badly in a job-hunt.
Also remember that your current school creds are good for your FIRST Job after that your school/Uni achievements tend to diminish and actual experience and skill will be rated more.

IME, 2 or 3 years actual work experience will pay more than an extra diploma.
I did 3 1/2 yrs Uni (IT) in a 10-month compressed course, started working 3 yrs ahead of my friends and earn more than they do.

Go for the Masters when you feel that your career needs an extra boost.

Just some thoughts.

Robinf
05-12-2003, 06:02 AM
IronFist,

CONGRATS!!!! That's fantastic!

As far as going for a Masters. I haven't heard of that being a popular choice in IT or IS, unless you're looking to go into a think tank situation.

Just market yourself. Keep after the jobs. Go on all the dot com job boards and fax, mail or walk your resume down. Put up an online resume on your own webpage (and pay for site so as not to have their banner ads). Get a job agent. Temp. Get creative and have fun. Remember, you're selling yourself--you'll be a great aSSet to any company! :D

You could get a job and get your masters at night, if you really want the degree.

TigerJaw
05-12-2003, 06:08 AM
Congratulations IronFist. Have a pint for me.

MasterKiller
05-12-2003, 07:47 AM
Welcome to the real world, where every day blurs into the next, time is no longer spatially separated by semesters or vacations, and the majority of your day consists of staring out a window while pretending to be working.

:D

But at least the chicks look hot in their little business suits.

Sho
05-12-2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by dezhen2001
then a 10 000 word essay during the summer :eek:Wow! That's quite a lot of words. What are you writing about?

Robinf
05-12-2003, 08:43 AM
Masterkiller,

That's a perfect summary! lol.

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-12-2003, 09:04 AM
graduating is pretty cool, but im here to congratulate you on the drinking.

Suntzu
05-12-2003, 11:31 AM
big deal… get a sucky job… bury yourself in debt… and more debt… propose to the g/f… get her pregnant and watch the both of u get fat… and if u happen to maintain your sanity after all that… than do the happy dance…

MK… u have a window :( ... lucky bastid...

this could be YOU (http://www.sherdog.net/forums/attachment.php?postid=1319682 ) ...

MasterKiller
05-12-2003, 11:41 AM
MK… u have a window ... lucky bastid...

I've had a window for the last 4 years. It looks over a pond, which houses freaky large fish, geese, and a beaver.

However, a manager from another department has decided he likes my window, and I am being forced to move next month so that he can have my office space.

This is exactly what you have to look forward to, IF, now that your growns up and your growns up and your growns up.

dezhen2001
05-12-2003, 02:26 PM
Sho - my essay is on media portrayal (specifically Web based) on Islam due to recent events - and how it compares to what we are taught.

not very interesting to u guys but it is to me :)

dawood

TjD
05-12-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
Thanks guys.

I'm just thinking about my masters right now because the overall job market is not the greatest right now (except for for the marketing guys). So... hmmm... I dunno. I think I'm just going to chill for a while and see what happens.

IronFist

i'd watch out about this IronFist, because thats what everyone else is doing. getting into a grad school now is REALLY difficult (everyones applying cuz the job market is so bad). i applied to 11 schools for my PhD and only got into 1 :( i got real lucky

just be careful man and don't put all your beans into one bucket (i think thats the right saying :D ) don't quit lookin for a job and count only on grad school.

joedoe
05-12-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by dezhen2001
Sho - my essay is on media portrayal (specifically Web based) on Islam due to recent events - and how it compares to what we are taught.

not very interesting to u guys but it is to me :)

dawood

I was reading on the internet the other day that Islam is evil :D

IronFist
05-12-2003, 11:34 PM
MasterKiller said:

Welcome to the real world, where every day blurs into the next, time is no longer spatially separated by semesters or vacations, and the majority of your day consists of staring out a window while pretending to be working.

That's what i hear.

But at least the chicks look hot in their little business suits.

**** right!

GDA said:

graduating is pretty cool, but im here to congratulate you on the drinking.

Rock on :D :D

Time for bed.

IronFist

Serpent
05-12-2003, 11:42 PM
Go you!