PDA

View Full Version : Punching w/weights

Shaolin-Do
05-12-2003, 07:54 AM
Ive recently added a new workout to my regimen, so far seeing and feeling excellent results.
Would have started with a 10 lb dumbbell, but regardless of wheather or not you are strong enough, you need to develop your tendons first, to get them used to the added weight pulling you at the end of each punch.
I simply stand in horse stance, and do 100 reverse punches as fast and hard as I can, holding a 5 lb dumbbell in each hand.
Stand in bow, 50 back fists per hand.
Stand in horse, throw 50 exaggerated hooks
Stand in horse, 50 upper cuts

do that 4 times. So far its working great. Just wondering if anyone else has tried something similar.

fa_jing
05-12-2003, 09:42 AM
Don't snap your elbows

Judge Pen
05-12-2003, 09:42 AM
SD,

Do your short forms with wieghts in each hand. Great way to cover your basics and to blast your shoulders. As for tendon conditioning, Five Animal dead play or the first 4 I Chin Ching excercises work for me.

SevenStar
05-12-2003, 12:50 PM
be leary of punching with weights as fast and as hard as you can...

Guile
05-14-2003, 09:47 AM
Seven Star is right.

TenTigers
05-15-2003, 06:34 AM
Did tha Pope tell you to do this? What are you insane? That is the easiest way to severely and permanently damage your tendons. NEVER, I repeat NEVER punch fast and hard while holding weights. Instead do slower, controlled punches with weights THEN remove the weights and practice fast-=you will see an improvement in speed.

Judge Pen
05-15-2003, 07:52 AM
When I do forms with weights, I do them slow with full extension on each hand-technique and usually hold for a two count before going to the next technique. Sorry for any confusion.