PDA

View Full Version : Wing Chun expresions

tparkerkfo
05-12-2003, 07:04 PM
I was reviewing some tapes and got to thinking. We all do wing chun, except for those few misguided, misdirect, and obviously lost MMA folks 8 D Yet we all do wing chun different. We can all argue night and day about our WAY of doing wing chun and why this stance or that Tan Sau is better/worse than that one. I myself am not interested in which is the best or which sifu changes this or that.

What I am interested in is personal expersion that is taught in your school. My teacer teaches a certain way. We try to hold true to the concepts of wing chun. So we question everything off of them. Can a girl do it. What does that mean anyways? Corey Everson can do a lot of things I cannot. LOL. But that is a standard.

As I watched the tape, I noted that we do some things a bit different. SOme things have been "modified" ever so slightly to fit in with our style. We can discuss the merits of of change latter. But I am currious how different lines emphasize a particular thing over another. How does this affect their wing chun?

Example. The Leung Sheung method that I have been exposed to, based on my limited experience, is focused, but not limited with, the up the center mentality. We will go to the outside, but we have been shown the bueaty of the center. The end of SLT typically has a section where the hands wipe downwards. Some people do it very exaggerated, almost like a gwat sau, where the arms are going to the side. I was told we want to hold to our principles and it would be better to focus on more of a gan sau movement, if that is the correct term. We stay focused on the center and don't want the hands going to the sides.

As I thought about this, I thought is one method any better than the other? Well, in my particular lineage, I could say YES. But I don't think the same arguments would hold true for another lineage that does the other movment because they have a different philosophy than us. So while we have the same hands, we may prefer different ones that promote the philosophical nature of our style and may either put less emphasis on this hand or that, or say this is more advanced, or something.

Any thoughts,
Tom

Also, My time is now in demand so my precence will be extremely limited. But I will check back for those awsome replies!
________
Asian vids (http://www.****tube.com/categories/4/asian/videos/1)

Wingman
05-12-2003, 07:44 PM
Even if they have the same teacher and taught exactly the same, grade school pupils will have different handwriting. Each student will write a different "A", a different "B", etc. compared to his classmates. But although all their A's, B's & C's are different, we can still recognize it as an A, B, or C. However different their A, B, or C may be, you dont called it "modified A", "modified B", or "modified C". It's just plain A, B, or C.

It's the same with WC. Each person might perform it differently; but we can still recognize it as WC.

TjD
05-12-2003, 07:50 PM
it's still useful to question the philosophies and nature of other peoples WC hands. it's a great way to gain insight about how other people see their bodies/WC working, and challenge our own.

through challenging our own understanding of WC, it can only be better. questioning other people can either provide new insights or new challenges.

Lindley
05-14-2003, 10:03 AM
TParkerKFo,

Two good responses to your question by TJD and Wingman. Martial Arts is a path to liberation. One cannot be truly liberated by following the exact process of another. The road to Martial Arts Mastery is not built by a "follow by imitation" approach. The Wing Chun System, like many other martial arts styles, provides a foundation for you to build upon, based on individualism. It is through experimentation and experience, we call "training", that one makes discoveries and insights and can become creative through the art. Creativity results in differences.

I assume you have just started your training. At this stage, exercise trust in your school and Sifu. Otherwise, you will "what if" yourself in various directions. Do not be afraid to ask your Sifu or Sihings/SiJays meaningful questions, but keep in mind that as you grow your questions will be more intelligent. A process that moves from quantity to quality. The more able you are to "discuss" your Kung Fu, the better you will understand the methods of others. You will gain ability to decipher on your own what is solid interpretation that expands your understanding of the Kung Fu and what is a promotion of useless information.

Good luck in your Kung Fu!