PDA

View Full Version : fat loss and aerobics

Robinf
05-13-2003, 08:15 AM
I've been reading more on this topic and I found this article:

aeobics and fat loss (http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/articles/aerobicexercise.htm)

Here's a little snippet that I found most interesting:

This isn't surprising when you consider how many calories are contained in a pound of fat. Each pound of fat contains the equivalent of approximately 3,555 calories. The most fundamental aspect of any fat loss program is to create a caloric deficit — to expend more calories than are consumed. Unfortunately, moderate aerobic exercise has only a moderate caloric requirement — around 187 calories per session [7]. Based on this estimate, it could take up to 19 moderate aerobic workouts to lose just one pound of fat.

What this means is that the benefits of low-intensity aerobic exercise are more apparent when you're trying to keep the weight off. The exercise doesn't have to be particularly vigorous or demanding. Just three hours of walking each week appears adequate to prevent the post-diet decline in fat oxidation.

Japanese scientists have discovered that a moderate aerobic exercise program can reduce subcutaneous tissue to a greater extent than diet alone [1]. In contrast, diets appear to have a greater effect on the fat that surrounds the internal organs (known as visceral fat).

Ford Prefect
05-13-2003, 08:44 AM
Not a bad article. I don't think many people really grasp how the body functions and why certain things will premote weight loss. Most people figure "Hey, if I eat less, then I'll lose weight" or "if I workout, I'll get trim" etc. It's sad really.