PDA

View Full Version : The return of the name this fight thread!

Chang Style Novice
05-13-2003, 08:19 AM
The game is simple. Post a description of a fight - it could be from a movie, tv show, a real event, or whatever - and other forum members try to guess where it came from.

I'll go first.

TV Show - A drunken ex-speznaz mouths off to a couple of low-level mafiosos. One of the wops loses his temper and busts a bottle on the red's head. The ex-spez throws one to the ground, but the other takes his back and tries to choke him. The russkie is eventually choked out by the bottle-swinger, who uses a pole lamp to do the job.

Real event - Heavyweight championship fight, scheduled for 15 rounds. The heavily favored champ is KOed in the 2nd after being knocked down several times.

Chang Style Novice
05-13-2003, 09:01 AM
12 views and not even a guess? C'mon, these are easy!

apoweyn
05-13-2003, 09:17 AM
Well, I'm not surprised that I didn't get the real event. My best guess is the Tyson Douglas fight, where Buster KO'd the champ. And never did anything worthwhile again. (In boxing, that is.)

The show, I'm stumped. But just for the sake of it, The Sopranos.

Stuart B.

Chang Style Novice
05-13-2003, 09:26 AM
Yeah, the Sopranos, but what episode? I don't need a name, a general plot synopsis would be plenty.

It suddenly occurs to me that the description of the boxing match could have happened a number of times - I'm talking about one I happened to see rerun on ESPN classic or whatever in a bar a couple weeks ago. Tyson-Douglas went ten rounds, though, so it doesn't match up.

Merryprankster
05-13-2003, 09:29 AM
The first fight would be "Kung Fu vs. BJJ" with the Kung Fu guy getting choked out.

The second fight would be "Kung Fu vs. MMA," with the Kung Fu guy getting knocked out.

However, you got the second fight wrong. That's two SECONDS into the FIRST round.

MasterKiller
05-13-2003, 09:32 AM
My turn.

Two guys who are actually the same person rant at each other online. He challenges himself to a fight, and tells himself to meet himself at a park by a fountain. He also tells himself that he will park his white Ford compact car close by.

After much bickering, he fights himself, only to realize that his self-taught BJJ is superior to the kung fu he taught himself. He relishes the victory over himself, and returns online to gloat.

Chang Style Novice
05-13-2003, 09:35 AM
MP and MK -

Ha, you guys funny.

MK - I assume you refer to Ralek vs. ShaolinTiger00, although I don't personally believe they are the same person.

Merryprankster
05-13-2003, 09:48 AM
For the last time, they aren't the same guy. I know bill, and he has nothing to gain--not even entertainment--from pretending to be Ralek.

Chang Style Novice
05-13-2003, 09:51 AM
hint - the boxing match is an oooooold fight. 1973.

SevenStar
05-13-2003, 09:57 AM
Dunno about that sopranos episode, but the fight was foreman / frazier

Chang Style Novice
05-13-2003, 09:59 AM
Dingdingding! One point for sevenstar!

apoweyn
05-13-2003, 10:46 AM
Bah. I've never seen The Sopranos. But two minor league mafiosos vs. one ex-spetznaz. And they win. I couldn't think of any other TV show in which the mafioso would be the protagonists.

:)

FatherDog
05-13-2003, 11:54 AM
Isn't that the Sopranos ep. where he's telling them on the phone that the Russian worked for the Secretary of the interior, and they think that means he's an interior decorator?

Chang Style Novice
05-13-2003, 12:02 PM
Heh - yeah, that's the one. The title of the ep is "Pine Barrens" but recognizing the relevant dialog gets Fatherdog the point.

Tony on the phone to Paulie: "He used to work for the Interior Ministry. He's some kind of Russian Green Beret; he killed 16 Chechnyan rebels single handed."

Paulie to Chris: "He killed 16 Czechoslovakians. He's an interior decorator."

Chris: "His house looked like sh!t."Okay, somebody else post something now.

edit - Hey, you live in NJ, FD. Is the Sopranos as true to life there as Walker: Texas Ranger is to life here?

chen zhen
05-13-2003, 12:15 PM
Teaxas ranger is pretty realistic, though;)

rubthebuddha
05-13-2003, 01:36 PM
beard, truck, bad martial arts and plenty of belt buckles. yeah, sounds like the texas i've seen. :D

FatherDog
05-13-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
Heh - yeah, that's the one. The title of the ep is "Pine Barrens" but recognizing the relevant dialog gets Fatherdog the point.

Okay, somebody else post something now.

edit - Hey, you live in NJ, FD. Is the Sopranos as true to life there as Walker: Texas Ranger is to life here?

Well, the Sopranos shows a very small segment of Jersey life. Being a good Polish boy, I can't say whether it depicts life on the inside of mob families very well, but the public appearances that it shows of the Italian-Americans is pretty similar to what you tend to see in that segment the population.

The Sopranos is filmed mostly in North Jersey, by the way. I drive past those big oil tanks in the opening on my way to the gym :D The accents of the characters that aren't Italian are pretty close approximations of your general North Jersey accent. Which is distinct from Central Jersey, South Jersey, the Shore, and the Pine Barrens, all of which have distinct sounds to 'em.