PDA

View Full Version : How do I get my own domain?

IronFist
05-14-2003, 10:31 AM
Dreamwater just deleted my site where I was selling my book. So now I say screw these free websites where I have to abide by other people's terms.

How do I get my own domain? Where is it cheapest and easiest? Am I correct in assuming I can do it all at my house and just upload my stuff to a remote server? Or would I actually have to get my own server?

Come on web guys, I know you know :)

Thanks,

IronFist

MasterKiller
05-14-2003, 10:34 AM
You don't need your own server. Just an FTP program to upload files to someone else's.

Yahoo charges $8.95 a month, with a free domain, 5 free emails for that domain, and no setup fee.

You also get 5 sub-domains like this:

There are some places that charge less, but you have to register the domain yourself ($25/year).

http://www.register.com

IronFist
05-14-2003, 10:40 AM
I might do that. Are there bull**** popup ads or anything? Probably not right, cuz you pay for it?

IronFist

MasterKiller
05-14-2003, 10:41 AM
If you pay, there are no pop ups.

IronFist
05-14-2003, 10:43 AM
btw, your site looks pretty cool.

Good job :D

IronFist

MasterKiller
05-14-2003, 10:46 AM
Thanks.

The only problem I have with Yahoo! is that you can't use a cgi-bin, so custom scripts won't run. I wanted to install my own message board instead if using theirs, but it wont let you.

Otherwise, I have no complaints.

IronFist
05-14-2003, 10:47 AM
If I register something with register.com, how do I upload my stuff?

IronFist

MasterKiller
05-14-2003, 10:50 AM
They supply you with a URL and a password. You use an FTP program like SMART FTP (free) or CUTE FTP (better, but costs) to upload you stuff to the location they tell you. They redirect your domain to that URL for you.

Once you register, it usually takes a couple of days to redirect the URL. After that, when someone types your domain, it goes to your website.

You'll still have to re-register ($25) your domain every year or every 2 years, depending on your contract.

The good news is, even if you buy a domain name and don't like register, or whoever else is hosting it, you can move it later to another server without much effort.

IronFist
05-14-2003, 11:18 AM
Hey, why'd you use yahoo for $9/month when it was cheaper to register your own?

I'll probably have more questions later. :D

Thanks,

IronFist

Guile
05-14-2003, 11:22 AM
Register.com is pretty good for that

MasterKiller
05-14-2003, 11:32 AM
Yahoo charges $9/month for the server space. They give you the domain for free.

You will still have to pay register a monthly fee for using their server space (like $14.95), even after paying the $25 for registering the domain. You will also be charged a setup fee (something like $20).

Yahoo isn't the cheapest, but it's not bad for what you get. Plus, they autmatically renew your domain every year for free.

Oso
05-14-2003, 11:45 AM
get a girlfriend who knows how to do it, be sweet to her and see what you get out of it.

for example

www.ashevillemartialarts.com :D

the content of the photos page is pretty weak now but I just got a new camera so stay tuned.

btw, MK, I looked on your profile for a website and didn't see one.???

Royal Dragon
05-14-2003, 11:48 AM
Hi,
My Dreamwater account closed too.

I went with:

Paramount Web Host Team
Support@paramountwebhost.net <mailto:Support@paramountwebhost.net>
Phone: 1-800-709-7475

$39 a year for the basic set up, and you get full CGI-BIN

You can get as much site space as you can afford with them.

Xebsball
05-14-2003, 12:58 PM
you can upload stufff in whatever server then get a free cjb.net cool name thang for it

like http://www.xebsball.cjb.net is mine BEATCH and you cant have it BEATCH

http://www.cjb.net

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-14-2003, 01:31 PM
or you can go with the company gda words for ....

http://www.1st.net/nthosting/

9.99 or 14.99 per month. 25 setup fee and 40 for 2 year domain registration. not the cheapest but we have had almost 0 downtime the entire 3+ years i have been here. maybe 5 hours total in 3 years .... if that. we dont fu ck around.

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-14-2003, 01:33 PM
iron .. like master said it's two differant things.

if you want ironfist.com that's gonna cost you a yearly rate of about 25.

if you want to sit your website somewhere thats gonna be about 10 per month and possibly a setup fee. if you choose not to buy your own domain for 20 per year your url would be http://ironfist.1st.net

Souljah
05-14-2003, 01:59 PM
Well, its usually 25 or so for registering the domain for 2 years.
And also, the rates for hosting havent been standardised as they should have so you might get one person offering you 100mb of space for the same price as someone offering 50mbs with the same bandwidth quotas.....

Valuehost.com (http://www.valuehost.com) Are good value for money - and probably the best on the net -

For one year at about $100 gives you
500mbs space,
'Unlimited' bandwidth usage
(this really is about 20GBs a month - but most people dont even get near a gb so your safe)
Any top level domain - eg www.ironfist.com.....registered for 2 YEARS.
Im with the UK branch and I must say theyv been pretty good.
The only bad thing I'd say is that there are sometimes an overload on the servers and it can get slow - but this is apparently getting sorted by the adding of more servers.....

Hope this helps

-greg

ewallace
05-14-2003, 02:11 PM
Do you guys have sql server on any of your hosting plans?

Laughing Cow
05-14-2003, 02:21 PM
IF.

I got webspace with my ISP account and simply subscribed to a Domain registration service (Apointe) for my URL, E-Mail redirecting, masked URL forwarding and a few other services.

If you want to sell goods go and rent a proper web-space via your ISP or similar.

Accounts like yahoo and similar EVEN when you pay for them got plenty of conditions attached, plus they tend to get botched down regularly.

In some cases your ISP will also provide domain registration service and similar.

Seeya.

Souljah
05-14-2003, 03:12 PM
Do you guys have sql server on any of your hosting plans?

Up to 3 sql databases allowed on mine

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-14-2003, 03:18 PM
ewallace ... it used to be that we only did access on nt and mysql on unix ... let me check on that tomorrow though because that was supposed to be remedied.

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-15-2003, 12:43 PM
ewallace ... sorry dude ... still access on nt.

ewallace
05-15-2003, 01:46 PM
Let me know if it changes. What about cold fusion?

I know, I wouldn't want to host CF either but I know of a guy who might need to change and his site is CF.

cwheelie
05-15-2003, 01:51 PM
How can I be master of my domain?

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-15-2003, 07:11 PM
"How can I be master of my domain?"

<kill>woman</kill>