PDA

View Full Version : Drunkard KF by Lueng Ting and Sifu Chiu Chung Yat

diego
05-14-2003, 03:48 PM
Hello, does anyone have this book in english?. I have a copy scanned from the library, but it's in chinese which I can't read. I hope to find out more info on the sifu demoing the set, and would like to find out where this particular southern 8 immortal set is from...anyone know if it has a tibet white crane or hop gar link?...because in the application section the attackers are using longfists like TWC uses!. Help:)

http://www.superiormartialarts.com/images23/50187.jpg

50187 The Drunkard Kung Fu and its Application
by Leung Ting (5.5” x 8.5”, 161 pp.)
This classic book reveals a famous southern style of Drunken Kung Fu. This style is based upon the popular characters from Chinese mythology known as the eight drunken immortals. Sifu Chiu Chung Yat, trained in the Nam Wah Monastery in Southern China, demonstrates this rare form of Kung Fu and its applications. $14.85

yutyeesam
05-15-2003, 06:58 AM
When I first saw this book advertised, I thought that Leung Ting was teaching a Drunken Ving Tsun form! Now that's comedy!! I had disturbing images of someone doing chain punches while doing sloppy kay-lun bo stances! :D

HuangKaiVun
05-15-2003, 12:41 PM
This book does exist in English.

I do not agree with the applications, but I do use elements of the Drunken Style in my combat method.

Drunken style is particularly good for what I call "oblique" fighting.

diego
05-15-2003, 05:03 PM
:) Dam, 100 views and noone knows anything about Sifu Chiu Chung Yat eh??. Ran a search on google and came up with nothing...what is nam wah temple?.

Also, i'm not trying to get this book in english, just want to know about chui chung yat!.:cool:

diego
05-16-2003, 12:49 PM
Hm, guess dude ain't that popular of a sifu then eh....well **** yall then:D i'ma bring this up on the main forum!.

HuangKaiVun
05-16-2003, 09:09 PM
What do you mean "noone knows anything about Sifu Chiu Chung Yat?"

You asked whether or not this book existed in English. Your question was answered.

I then mentioned my take on his stuff. I study it all the time, actually.

Chiu's biography is documented in his books for Leung Ting. He also did a "Southern Drunken Monkey" style and a "Kwan Do" analysis, if I recall. Basically, Chiu is a self-admitted PERFORMANCE kung fu artist as opposed to a fighter - and an excellent one in my opinion.

I seriously doubt that there was any direct hop gar or Lama link to Chiu's applications. . . not that I would use those applications myself.

This set comes out of Southern China. Both the video and the book talk about the history behind the method. I'm sure that the history was flowered up to some extent.

What else do you want to know, diego?

diego
05-17-2003, 01:01 PM
Hello Haung:) i said does anyone have it in english, not is it in english ;) :D

I know hopgar etc has drunken sets, so i was hoping this set may be a close rep...Does it mention what is nam wah temple in the books bio of chung?...I found on the net that north and south have drunken sets...does it give the specifics who this set belongs to...why did leung ting make a southern drunken book and showcase this particular set...is it a famous set...i know drunken is famous i mean the books-set:).

What's up with oblique fighting?...don't know much about this...is it kinda like where you hit him while moving kinda like some of pakuas strikes?....was taught a couple techniques like that where you walk around his center and strike his blindsides.

HuangKaiVun
05-19-2003, 12:48 PM
If the hop gar sets indeed do have drunken sets (possibly), I'd imagine that they'd be influenced by Southern drunken kung fu not unlike that put in the video.

But I'm not a hop gar expert. Ask some of the Lama guys (e.g. Steve Ventura) here that question.

The form here is a SOUTHERN drunken set. There are books on Northern drunkard kung fu (Zuijiuquan), but the moves and arrangement are totally different.

Leung Ting, for a long time, has been researching and cataloguing assorted kung fu styles known to him in the Hong Kong district. He's mainly into Wing Tsun, but he has done great work in analyzing these other styles. His books on the "Shaolin 10 Animal Set" and "5 Pattern Hung Kuen" are really terrific, in my opinion.

The Nam Wah temple I know nothing about. Chances are that it was a typical Chinese religious temple focusing on ancestor worship. A lot of those temples practice martial arts for exercise (as opposed to combat) sake.

"Oblique fighting" is a term I coined for my own uses that focuses on fighting from angles people normally don't fight from.

For example, the "Goliath Drinks Wine" technique of the Drunken form features a person lifting an imaginary urn with both arms and then leaning backward to drink out of it.

One of my "oblique" applications for this move is used in response to a low shoot. I turn my body to the side and level my shoulder and arm into the attackers crotch.

My bigger students sometimes lift the opponent all the way off the ground, just as Sam Seed did to Jackie Chan in the "learning how to fall" sequence of "Drunken Master".

No_Know
05-21-2003, 12:07 PM
The book shows a Southern popular form. I have this book (somewhere around) when it was a green front cover.

diego
05-26-2003, 08:37 PM
Thanx for the reply's you guy's......anyone know what is the nam wah temple?.

Crushing Step
05-29-2003, 09:59 AM
I have heard of "wah nam" temple... it is the style of Wong Kiew Kit, he teaches I believe out of Malaysia. He has some articles on tai chi and shaolin on dragonslist.com, and also has some books on amazon

Gandolf269
06-07-2003, 12:37 AM
You can get the English version on the Web at http://www.bafa.biz/index.html, then click on English books.