PDA

View Full Version : clf's 8 drunken immortal form info please

5thBrother
05-15-2003, 12:22 AM
hi. can some one tell me about this form in clf?
what kinds of techniques are in it?
what kinds of training
does it have many/any falling down, flips, "dangerous" / dificult movements? and what are they.. how diffuclt are they for non super athletic n young types.
is this form have practical application possibilities or is it more like a modern wushu gymnastics demo thing?

thanks for all such iunformation :)

take care

yutyeesam
05-15-2003, 07:08 AM
I read somewhere that Drunken Style is a very well known fighting system in China......for losing!

I laughed out loud when I read that.

But seriously, if you want to learn about Joi Kune in CLF, Lee Siu Hung and Joe Keit have a video of it on their website at http://www.leekoonhungkungfu.com

Kung-Fu/qigong magazine has an article about it written by the same people, but I forget what issue it is.

CLFNole
05-15-2003, 10:17 AM
The form does not have any "acrobatic moves" to it. Some shoon fun toi's (tornado kicks) and 1 roll. On the surface the form is relatively easy. The hard thing is to learn the feel and learn to have very relaxed, explosive power.

This set in our lineage has a variety of palms, panther fists, traps, blocks and fakes. It is somewhat of a freestyle form in that you have some license into how long you stagger, etc...

Overall it is not one of my favorite forms, however it is nice to know since many people are taken by the name. So from a business standpoint it is a good form to have.

Peace.

yutyeesam
05-15-2003, 10:41 AM
And good for tournaments...but dang, if I hear that Wong Fei Hung theme song one more time, I'm gonna pull out what's left of my hair!!!!

A plea to those who chose music during their form performance - STOP PLAYING THIS SONG. STOP PLAYING MORTAL COMBAT, ALSO.
Be original!! :D

iron_silk
05-17-2003, 12:10 AM
ha ha ha

that is funny...

Steve Ventura
05-18-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by CLFNole
The form does not have any "acrobatic moves" to it. Some shoon fun toi's (tornado kicks) and 1 roll. On the surface the form is relatively easy. The hard thing is to learn the feel and learn to have very relaxed, explosive power.

This set in our lineage has a variety of palms, panther fists, traps, blocks and fakes. It is somewhat of a freestyle form in that you have some license into how long you stagger, etc...

Overall it is not one of my favorite forms, however it is nice to know since many people are taken by the name. So from a business standpoint it is a good form to have.

Peace.

That's Funny I have an Joi Baat Sin form from Choi Lei Fut and a Baat Sin Jui Jow from Lama Style and they are full of very good fighting techniques but they also have quite a few techniques that could be considered tricks or acrobatic techniques including butterfly kick. I have taught this form with application in seminar for small groups. Not exactly a form for someone with less than 5 years of intense training. It is a very long routine from either style. I agree with the statement that there is plenty of room for interpretation of the drunken flavor. The form does have very distinct strategies behind each Immortal. I have performed both several times in demonstration and have it on tape.

CLFNole
05-18-2003, 12:46 PM
I agree that the form does have some good fighting techniques and a more advanced level student would generally be able to understand them. I never meant to say that the form itself was easy or for beginners. However most of the techniques are generally not that hard to do if you have been doing CLF for a while. The understanding of the movements and feel of the drunken style itself is what is difficult.

Peace.

PHILBERT
05-18-2003, 10:49 PM
The issue that the article appears in is July/August 2001 (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/kunmag20juli.html) and I dare say the first issue I ever purchased (ironically). A quick search on Martial Arts Mart for Drunken Kung Fu (http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/nsearch?follow-pro=1&vwcatalog=martialartsmart&catalog=martialartsmart&query=Drunken&Search.x=0&Search.y=0) has some interesting results.

Shaolin-Do
05-19-2003, 01:18 PM
*sigh*
I dont understand.
8 immortals is 1 form in CLF?
There are 8 immortals, each with several forms, a few empty hand and a weapon.
8 immortal society based in san fransisco... dont know what lineage, forgot. But they specialize in nothing but drunken boxing, and require a previous blackbelt in another kungfu style to join.

joedoe
05-19-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Shaolin-Do
*sigh*
I dont understand.
8 immortals is 1 form in CLF?
There are 8 immortals, each with several forms, a few empty hand and a weapon.
8 immortal society based in san fransisco... dont know what lineage, forgot. But they specialize in nothing but drunken boxing, and require a previous blackbelt in another kungfu style to join.

Just like 5 animals can be one form in some systems. Everyone does it differently :)

Tainan Mantis
05-23-2003, 06:22 AM
8 Drunken Immortals is detailed in the oldest known Shaolin Manuscript on empty hand fighting.
It is called Chuen Jing-Chuen Fa Bei Yao.

I wrote more about it in a thread a called," Shaolin's Ming Dynasty Secret Manuscripts."

It is in the Shaolin kung fu forum.