PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here, want to begin studying. Can i get some input?

shaolin_kapalit
05-15-2003, 10:34 AM
Hi every one, first post on these forums.
May be wondering what my screen name stands for, shaolin_kapalit.

Kapalit is tagalog (phillipino) for substitute. Or in other words, my screen name means this:
shaolin_not actaully the real thing.

See I'm completely new to any form of martial arts. But i have been facinated with it for far too long. Now i want to begin studying it, more specifically shaolin - kung fu.

So I just need a little bit of input to get my started in the right direction. I don't know where to start really to begin researching all of this. Do you have any online resources or something along those lines to get me going? Or some information of your own you could post up? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks alot in advance.

HuangKaiVun
05-15-2003, 12:58 PM
Hang around KFO.

There is a ton of interesting commentary by all levels of martial artists.

Read, watch videos, surf the Net, visit schools. If you can, get yourself a book on "Shaolin kung fu" and try doing some of the moves yourself.

There is no specific way of learning about kung fu.

Judge Pen
05-15-2003, 01:11 PM
Where do you live? You can get all kinds of opinions on kung fu schools in your area. Also, what aspects of kung fu are you interested in? These will help us give you some direction.

shaolin_kapalit
05-15-2003, 01:25 PM
Great, thanx for the responses. I will actually be stopping by the book store tonight to see what I can find.

I live in des moines, iowa. When you say which aspects im interested in, i really couldnt tell you specifically. I wouldn't know where to begin since I don't know what forms there are.

Ill definitly check out a few of the other forums as well. Would you happen to know of any where where i can get video clips and graphs/diagrams on forms?

norther practitioner
05-15-2003, 01:46 PM
For Shaolin, browse around here for information, or for all styles the main forum. Russbo (http://www.russbo.com) is a good shaolin resource. Find out what style are in your area, and what teachers (makes the difference).

draggin dragon
05-18-2003, 01:19 AM
S.K.

According to my calculations, I live about one hours drive from you. I currently study the taichi 24 posture form & a little choy-li-fut & hung-gar from a good sifu that would probably be about 9o min. drive 1x a week for you.

Read what you can on these styles & if you are interested in learning more feel free to email me, or private message.

Fen
05-18-2003, 02:20 AM
Hello!

This is all I found for the Des Moines, Iowa area! I do not know the school or the Sifu (teacher) of it. But you can check it out and see if it will fit your needs. Here is the Link ( Des Moines Eagle Claw Kung fu ) (http://12.216.136.42/) Good Luck in your training!!

~Jason

shaolin_kapalit
05-18-2003, 06:10 PM
Yeah, i just met Don Walth yesterday. There was a festival and part of this show was eagle claw kung fu. I got to talk to him and turns out a friend of mine i grew up with was there with them. I hadnt seen him for a long time.

i also just recently purchased "The art of shaolin kung fu, wong kiew kit". Pretty good resource if i do say so myself.

draggin dragon: thanks for the invite, you've got PM.

THanks guys for the input.

maccajim
05-25-2003, 11:14 AM
Hiya have a look at this website www.shaolinwolf.com
the training section has some good photos of various kicks and punches with some explanation on what to concentrate on.