PDA

View Full Version : ATT: San Antonio members

Water Dragon
05-15-2003, 11:55 AM
There is an ACSCA Shuai Chiao school recently opened in San An. The teacher, Kirk Woller is a 20 year student under Master John Wang. If you are interested in learning a Kung Fu system that will teach you to fight in about a 1 year period, pm me for details.

Shuai Chiao is a fighting school and classes are full contact.

TaoBoxer
05-15-2003, 12:09 PM
Very good.... San Antonio needs some Traditional Martial Arts... I just hope they can generate enough students to keep it going.

Where is the Kwoon?

Water Dragon
05-15-2003, 12:12 PM
Me too, cause if I move down there, I'll be training there. I know they are current;ly training in the UTSA campus and also a lot of backyard training, which is the traditional SC way.

Are you interested? Cross trined fighters are VERY welcome. Especially if they have sport fighting experience.

Fred Sanford
05-15-2003, 12:40 PM
What is Shuai Chiao?

:D

Water Dragon
05-15-2003, 12:48 PM
It's what happens after the Kun Tao gets you into range. :D

TaoBoxer
05-15-2003, 01:08 PM
MMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....Kun Tao <homer voice>

San Antonio is a beat town for training.... There is a lot of Kempo, and a lot of the "Mythical" korean arts (kuk sul won, Kung Jung Moo Sul, Chung moo doe)... and there is some decent back yard stuff, but that always takes a long time to find. You just gotta be careful of the Tai Chi Police.

While I was in san antonio I managed to find Yang Taiji, Tang Shao Tao Hsing I, Ba Gua, Pekiti Tirsia... all underground.

I wish these Shuai guys the best.... I know some folks at the UTSA Judo club also....

ewallace
05-15-2003, 01:43 PM
PM me with the details eh.

Taomonkey
05-15-2003, 02:04 PM
"It's what happens after the Kun Tao gets you into range."

Could you explain this, are you implying that Kun Tao is for long or medium range while Shuai Chiao is for close range. Please give an example.

Water Dragon
05-15-2003, 02:08 PM
Fred trains under the same teacher as I do. Our teacher is a big fan of Kun Tao and certain aspects of the art are required no matter what we do. SC blends well with any art. It was a public-private comment. No hidden meaning.

Taomonkey
05-15-2003, 02:11 PM
not looking for hidden meaning, just wondering what you mean, I still dont get what you ment. I could just be slow today. Not pickin just askin

Water Dragon
05-15-2003, 02:15 PM
Kun Tao places a big emphasis on entering techniques. Getting into the fight. It's amazing for getting past someones punches and kicks and putting you in grappling range.

Taomonkey
05-15-2003, 02:22 PM
So is Shuai Chiao for close range and ground work?

Water Dragon
05-15-2003, 02:22 PM
Shuai Chiao is a throwing art. No groundwork.

Chang Style Novice
05-15-2003, 02:35 PM
That's not quite fair. There's a goodly amount of controlling a guy on the ground with qin na (plus a tacit encouragement for kicking and stomping grounded opponents.:p )

Taomonkey
05-15-2003, 02:43 PM
topeling from the top or the bottom? Are tthe throws more like a jujitsu? Or is it more close quaters breaking the one point. Similiar to tiger style? or Kun Tao's base destructions?

Water Dragon
05-15-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
That's not quite fair. There's a goodly amount of controlling a guy on the ground with qin na (plus a tacit encouragement for kicking and stomping grounded opponents.:p )

Well yeah, but he's usually senseless from the fall! :D

Taomomkey, check out www.combatshuaichiao.com

Shaolin-Do
05-16-2003, 08:06 AM
WD, pm me the location of the school please, I would like to check it out.
Bad news on the training tho dude, I completely dislocated my left shoulder a couple nights ago. Ill still be working on stances like mad, but upper body work is out for 3 weeks. :(
When do you plan on heading down this way?

'MegaPoint
05-16-2003, 03:03 PM
I live like 5 minutes from UTSA. I am taking grad courses for an MBA. Do you guys train at the convocation center? I have done Judo and GJJ, so I would like to peep your stylee. Right now I travel to Bastrop to train with one of the only legit Okinawan Karatejutsu guys in these parts. Grappling would be a fun thing too!

As long as that freak mofo Scott Flowers doesn't take the class I'd be glad to join. I also helped sponsor a Caique (BJJ) seminar at UTSA a couple of years back with Dr. Clark (Judo club guy). Where were you warriors then?

There is a serious dirge of any legitimate arts here regardless of country of origin. The MAs world disses SA like the rest of the business and entertainment world does. Fuc k'em! They don't like SA cuz we gots too many beautiful folks here (read RACISM). People are too use to plastic surg. f u cks or ugly, run-down looking pale and dark skin-ded peeps, hahahaha!!!! Plus our city is too clean, hospitable and has nature. God forbid trees and grass in a big city!!!

Water Dragon
05-16-2003, 04:40 PM
'Megapoint
You should go to the class. You've done Judo, so you know what you'd be getting into, and you've done BJJ, which I know Kirk is interested in. All I know is that they are training on the wrestling mats at UTSA. I have an e-mail for the senior student there. I'll post it when I get a chance to dif it up.

SD, I'l be in town around July 7. Tend to your shoulder so we can play when I get there.

TaoBoxer
05-17-2003, 09:40 AM
No one "disses" san antonio more than san antonio disses itself. It's horrible.... It's the most low rent city I have ever lived in and I have lived in 12 states all around the US. San Antonio doesn't have "beautiful people." San Antonio is the fattest city in the US, which is why that phony diet guru based himself there. I will stay away from racial stereotypes..... But no one in SA wants to train. They are lazy. All of the cops are "bubbas" (Knife?? who cares boy.... I got me a Glock) and most of the students just wanna sit around and watch Enter the Dragon and some Shaws Brothers movie. I once went to a Chinese New Year "festival" at a wing chun/ tai chi/ pentjak silat/ shao lin school over on West Ave... Was there Lion Dancing? Was there a seminar or guest instructor? Was there anything even vaguely cultural relevent? No. Students sitting on the floor watching some early 70's schlock movie with lots of wire work.

I knew a guy who had an ultra traditional GoJu school on Nacco-Perrin. He never had more than 5 students and it closed.... My Hsing I Sifu never had more than 5 students. Same for Ba Gua, and even less for Tai Chi, where i learned alone. But what thrives?? Mcdojo and people who outright lie and make up pseudo-japanaese "koryu" arts where all the techniques have names like a dish from the "black pool restauraunt" in Big Trouble in Little China.... and teaches "Japanese Tai Chi" (not TaiKiKen, mind you) where he starts in Seiza.... does some garbage that looks like Serving Tea, and then stands up to do the Yang Simplified.

No business "disses" san antonio..... SA simply has zero skilled workers except Nurses who make almost 1/2 the national average. San Antonio has a lot of colleges, and a lot of hospitals.... a similiar demographic to Boston..... So why is SA so poor?? Look at the labor business that has left SA.... Levi, Bauch and Lomb, all of the Civil Service out of Kelly Field. And why?? Not cuz it is cheaper someplace else.... The south side of SA is the cheapest place to do business in the country, I'd bet. As for as "entertainment" goes.... What do you mean? There is some sleazy strip club in almost every strip mall in the city. As for Greenery.... nothing in South Texas is green.... it is all yellow, and brown... and dead.

San Antonio is avoided by men and women of quality for a reason... It has the biggest concentration of shar chi I have born witness to. Don't blame racism or say we're just not down with "la raza" because we avoid SA. We just saw all that was worth seeing.... had every different kind of taco there was..... and got tired of having no culture other than Fiesta and NIOSA, no careers other than Barnes and Nobles or Bill Millers, no ocean other than Canyon Lake, no recreation other than Midnite Rodeo and Polyesthers, and no quisine other than Taco Cabana.

What is of quality is quashed by the 110* sun and the attitudes of the lowest common denominator polished by years of grinding poverty and simply not ever knowing there was anything better. San Antonio is a shining star of teen mothers, illegal immigration, minimum wage, taco stands, unskilled labor, 40 oz beer, flood, famine, and pestillence. I left it as I found it.... and you can all keep it.

Sincerely,

Bill Lewitt

MonkeySlap Too
05-17-2003, 05:02 PM
So, uh, WD, guess you'll want to come to Cali then?

Chang Style Novice
05-17-2003, 06:00 PM
No (http://www.sa-museum.org/) culture (http://www.sasymphony.org/) other (http://www.lyricoperasa.com/) than (http://www.safilm.com/) fiesta (http://www.sadu.org/) and (http://www.tsos.org/dominion.htm) NIOSA (http://www.accd.edu/sac/vat/!vathome.html)?!!?

I call shenanigans.

Fred Sanford
05-17-2003, 06:10 PM
yes WD cali is superior.

only 2 things come from texas and you ain't got no horns, boy.:D

Chang Style Novice
05-17-2003, 06:14 PM
And this from Pahreah, UT?

At least booze is legal here, and marryin' four women isn't!:D

Water Dragon
05-18-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by MonkeySlap Too
So, uh, WD, guess you'll want to come to Cali then?

Whatya mean? Sounds like home with warm weather. But, Espy wants a Humvee, so we may have to stop off in LA for 5 years or so first.

Water Dragon
05-18-2003, 11:31 AM
Anyway, for those of you interested, please e-mail Gene @ kungfutofu@hotmail.com

He is the senior at the school and can provife you with all the info you need. I hope to see a few of you on the mat this summer.

txwingchun
05-19-2003, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by TaoBoxer
No one "disses" san antonio more than san antonio disses itself. It's horrible.... It's the most low rent city I have ever lived in and I have lived in 12 states all around the US. San Antonio doesn't have "beautiful people." San Antonio is the fattest city in the US, which is why that phony diet guru based himself there. I will stay away from racial stereotypes..... But no one in SA wants to train. They are lazy. All of the cops are "bubbas" (Knife?? who cares boy.... I got me a Glock) and most of the students just wanna sit around and watch Enter the Dragon and some Shaws Brothers movie. I once went to a Chinese New Year "festival" at a wing chun/ tai chi/ pentjak silat/ shao lin school over on West Ave... Was there Lion Dancing? Was there a seminar or guest instructor? Was there anything even vaguely cultural relevent? No. Students sitting on the floor watching some early 70's schlock movie with lots of wire work.

I knew a guy who had an ultra traditional GoJu school on Nacco-Perrin. He never had more than 5 students and it closed.... My Hsing I Sifu never had more than 5 students. Same for Ba Gua, and even less for Tai Chi, where i learned alone. But what thrives?? Mcdojo and people who outright lie and make up pseudo-japanaese "koryu" arts where all the techniques have names like a dish from the "black pool restauraunt" in Big Trouble in Little China.... and teaches "Japanese Tai Chi" (not TaiKiKen, mind you) where he starts in Seiza.... does some garbage that looks like Serving Tea, and then stands up to do the Yang Simplified.

No business "disses" san antonio..... SA simply has zero skilled workers except Nurses who make almost 1/2 the national average. San Antonio has a lot of colleges, and a lot of hospitals.... a similiar demographic to Boston..... So why is SA so poor?? Look at the labor business that has left SA.... Levi, Bauch and Lomb, all of the Civil Service out of Kelly Field. And why?? Not cuz it is cheaper someplace else.... The south side of SA is the cheapest place to do business in the country, I'd bet. As for as "entertainment" goes.... What do you mean? There is some sleazy strip club in almost every strip mall in the city. As for Greenery.... nothing in South Texas is green.... it is all yellow, and brown... and dead.

San Antonio is avoided by men and women of quality for a reason... It has the biggest concentration of shar chi I have born witness to. Don't blame racism or say we're just not down with "la raza" because we avoid SA. We just saw all that was worth seeing.... had every different kind of taco there was..... and got tired of having no culture other than Fiesta and NIOSA, no careers other than Barnes and Nobles or Bill Millers, no ocean other than Canyon Lake, no recreation other than Midnite Rodeo and Polyesthers, and no quisine other than Taco Cabana.

What is of quality is quashed by the 110* sun and the attitudes of the lowest common denominator polished by years of grinding poverty and simply not ever knowing there was anything better. San Antonio is a shining star of teen mothers, illegal immigration, minimum wage, taco stands, unskilled labor, 40 oz beer, flood, famine, and pestillence. I left it as I found it.... and you can all keep it.

Sincerely,

Bill Lewitt

I agree just trying to get a decent paying computer job in this city sucks. they keep bringing in all these "fantastic" min wage jobs. No one in this city wants anything better jobwise it seems.

Shaolin-Do
05-19-2003, 01:06 PM
lofl
nothing but ugly fat people here eh?
Maxim magazine rated san antonio #3 in the entire nation for HOT ASS WOMEN.
Tell me they are wrong, Ill tell you that youre gay.
There is any type of crowd you want to chill with here, you just have to look. San antonio is like one big @ss suburb, kinda like how oakland is one big @ss east side. :)
Ill give it to you, we have our share of lazy f*cks, almost as many as most the other places in the nation.
No one here trains, just watches tv eh? yeah. I have a 1200$ gym in my garage to impress my neighbors.
No jobs over minimum wage? exactly why Im sittin behind a computer, 19 years old, making 32,000 a year while im still in school.
Go feed your sh!t to someone else, cause I dont buy it.
:eek:

Shaolin-Do
05-19-2003, 01:11 PM
As for nothing to do....
We have the #2,3,4,5,6 night clubs in what??
the f*cking country. Thats what.
Nothing to do?
People in texas drop kegs like you people up north buy six packs.
Nothing to do?
Mexico is a 6 hour drive away
Nothing to do?
Coast is 4 hours away
5 different lakes, withing 3 hours
4 different rivers, withing 2 hours

Theres only nothing to do if your idea of something to do is thumbing your arse in front of the tv, and in that case we even have plenty of that.
rant over.
Just had to rep for sa.
:)

fa_jing
05-19-2003, 01:16 PM
I knew someone once that grew up in San Antonio and he has fine memories. I've actually heard good things about it. But #1 for anyone should be: do I have a job/career there and how does that jibe with the cost of living?

Shaolin-Do
05-19-2003, 01:21 PM
Dude, there are sooo many lax @ss jobs here with good pay, you just have to look for it. People are too stupid and lazy to find them.
Red bull and coca cola are almost always hiring Promotional workers, making 10.50 an hour to hand out coca cola or red bull at college places...
Computer jobs? I know of a few... ;)
But living down here is CHEAP.
I live in a 4 bedroom house on the northeast side, I pay 800$ a month.

txwingchun
05-19-2003, 01:57 PM
I've got a lazy a s s job well above min wage I work for the goverment can't get any easier than that. But employers in this city don't want to pay at least with experience I've had. But then I haven't looked recently either.

Shaolin-Do
05-19-2003, 02:03 PM
Very true, experience is a huge role here.
Anyways, Im off the clock, so PEACEOUT!
:)

ewallace
05-19-2003, 02:36 PM
For most jobs here, compensation is equal to cost of living. Houses are cheap. I'm in the same boat along with SD on the housing.

It did take me about 6 years of living here to not totally despise the place.

Looking back though it was all in my attitude, not the city.

Go Spurs Go

iblis73
05-20-2003, 06:41 AM
Hi, I don't normally post on these forums but I just visited the sc roup out at utsa. I used to train wingtsun under will parker some years back (was an asst.instructor) and am currently visiting all the ma schools in town since returning. I have to say I liked what I saw. As I was told (from memory here), they use wt/long fist for kick/punch range, sc for clinch and throwing, and bjj for the ground (the instructor has worked w/William Vandry of Austin for bjj.) The instructor had good power, integrated strikes w/clincching and throwing, and had a well rounded curriculum.
Oh, and he's a really nice guy. He's one of the better instructors I've seen in town, he knows "traditional" sc but everything I saw was well rounded and alive(they do sparring.) You don't wanna get thrown by this cat.

If anyone wants more info, I know of at least 4 "free" instructors in the SA area that teach for free, all are mma/bjj types.Iblis73@yahoo.com

iblis73
05-20-2003, 06:44 AM
And yes, I have to say SA has some problems-we are one of the poorest major cities in the US and the education level here is sad. Also some really bad crime at times (drive by capital of texas in the early 90s.) But I'll tell ya, its laid back and it doens't have half of the racial problems that I've seen in Cali or the south. People here are some of the nicest in Texas.

TaoBoxer
05-21-2003, 05:59 AM
Best clubs in the country?? Are you high? Best clubs in a 12 mile radius maybe. 6th street in Austin is better than anything SA has to offer. What are you gonna do?? Go to Park Place (which is in a mall) and hit on all the nasty Letti's from the south side? As for Maxim saying San Antonio has the #3 hottest women in the country? Better than NY, Boston, LA, San Diego, Miami, San Francisco, Myrtle Beach, Atlanta.....? Yeah.... I buy that. They are trying to generate a Latino audience for their magazine. It is called "milking a demographic."

As for how great the cost of living is there.... San Antonio has the 2nd highest denial rate for Latinos and the 8th highest denial rate for AA's for mortgages... The median FAMILY income in SA is 36k...... So if you're 19 and making 32 thousand a year(hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahha) then that puts you in what?? the 95th percentile? Congratulations. You're a booming success.

Lets continute to analyze your list.... you "drop kegs?" Ok.... once you hit 22 and binge drinking becomes less of a hobby that isn't exactly a big draw. I can make 10.50 an hour handing out Coke and Red Bull? and I can do that for what? 3 hours a nite maybe twice a week? yeah.... that's a great career. Mexico is 6 hours away..... Trust me, I know it is.... It is hard to ignore that...... The plentiful supply of cheap birth control pills, cheap Vanilla and cheap day labor is a constant reminder of Mexicos proximity. The coast is 4 hours away? Texas beaches (watch out for the medical waste and oil sludge!) are nasty. At least they have a great view of the oil rigs. Some of the lakes in the area are nice.... Calaveras lake has they great boat ramp next to the coal-fueled power plant... and there is come great canoeing along the San Marcos and tubing on the Guadalupe.

When you put it like that.... I think I'll quit my 70k a year Paramedic job and take back my old job with Frio County making 20k salary. Really makes the years I spent at the Health Science Center seem worth it. Makes me wanna go buy a taco, ride Via, and go down to Sotuh West Military to hit on all of Maxims "Hottest Women." 17 years old..... 3 kids..... No job..... <sigh> The good ole days..........

Water Dragon
05-21-2003, 07:01 AM
taoboxer=racist=punk

TaoBoxer
05-21-2003, 08:36 AM
You have got to be kidding me. Explain that.

Water Dragon
05-21-2003, 08:40 AM
When I'm down for vacation, maybe we can grab some tacos, get some cheap birth control, grab some south side women and talk about it.

txwingchun
05-21-2003, 08:44 AM
Sounds to me like WD is interpreting your dislike for the city as a racist comment. I didn't find it racist.

ewallace
05-21-2003, 08:53 AM
Mexico is 6 hours away
It's 2.5 to Nuevo Laredo. :)

TaoBoxer
05-21-2003, 09:51 AM
You can infer what you like from what I said.... That doesn't make any of it less true. I also said there was cheap vanilla.... Why don't you tell me I was talking about white trash?

During my time in san antonio I dated women of hispanic, asian, anglo and african american descent. I learned spanish for no other reason than to better treat the poor rural population of South Texas, where I was often time the ONLY health care they recieved. I worked in free clinics and for a county 911 service, treating up to 150 undocumented aliens a month for exposure and injuries sustained from entering this country illegally.

Calling me a rascist is like calling Lenny Bruce a Nazi... But that's easier isn't it?? It is easier to throw around "hot button" words than it is to make sound, reasoned arguments. This is the typical left wing "White people can't criticize anything" crap..... As soon as an Anglo makes a critical observation, no matter how accurate it is, they are a rascist. Take your PC censorship to the ACLU..... I'm not havin it.

Shaolin-Do
05-21-2003, 10:18 AM
lofl
since you so beuatifully conveyed your ethnicity in the first quote, we all knew you were white.
wait....
Im being a smart @ss.
You sure are a negative bugger arent cha?
Pretty much every magazine review for san antonio the editors loved it...
You dont sound to like clubs or drinking either, thats what most the people i know do on weekends.
As for having the 2nd highest denial rate for latino mortgages, well no ****. only what, 87% of the city is latino?
And with mexico, you forgot disease, cocaine, marijuana, and pregnant teenagers in your pessimistic schpiel.
But we go for all things cheap, drive towards the middle and it gets to be pretty beautiful.
hmm... If I werent on these **** panlor for my arm id be better to argue....
:(
Oh well..... Ill come back on later tonight when they wear off.
;)

'MegaPoint
05-21-2003, 02:28 PM
Best clubs in the country?? Are you high? Best clubs in a 12 mile radius maybe. 6th street in Austin is better than anything SA has to offer. What are you gonna do?? Go to Park Place (which is in a mall) and hit on all the nasty Letti's from the south side? As for Maxim saying San Antonio has the #3 hottest women in the country? Better than NY, Boston, LA, San Diego, Miami, San Francisco, Myrtle Beach, Atlanta.....? Yeah.... I buy that. They are trying to generate a Latino audience for their magazine. It is called "milking a demographic."

As for how great the cost of living is there.... San Antonio has the 2nd highest denial rate for Latinos and the 8th highest denial rate for AA's for mortgages... The median FAMILY income in SA is 36k...... So if you're 19 and making 32 thousand a year(hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahha) then that puts you in what?? the 95th percentile? Congratulations. You're a booming success.

Lets continute to analyze your list.... you "drop kegs?" Ok.... once you hit 22 and binge drinking becomes less of a hobby that isn't exactly a big draw. I can make 10.50 an hour handing out Coke and Red Bull? and I can do that for what? 3 hours a nite maybe twice a week? yeah.... that's a great career. Mexico is 6 hours away..... Trust me, I know it is.... It is hard to ignore that...... The plentiful supply of cheap birth control pills, cheap Vanilla and cheap day labor is a constant reminder of Mexicos proximity. The coast is 4 hours away? Texas beaches (watch out for the medical waste and oil sludge!) are nasty. At least they have a great view of the oil rigs. Some of the lakes in the area are nice.... Calaveras lake has they great boat ramp next to the coal-fueled power plant... and there is come great canoeing along the San Marcos and tubing on the Guadalupe.

When you put it like that.... I think I'll quit my 70k a year Paramedic job and take back my old job with Frio County making 20k salary. Really makes the years I spent at the Health Science Center seem worth it. Makes me wanna go buy a taco, ride Via, and go down to Sotuh West Military to hit on all of Maxims "Hottest Women." 17 years old..... 3 kids..... No job..... <sigh> The good ole days..........

6th Street is HIGHLY overrated. It's the Riverwalk without a River and lots of schizophrenic, vagabond, panhandling, homeless losers. Austin has one friggin' highway for a city of 1 million plus. Get freakin' real genius. You might make 70 Gs a year, but your cost of living probably makes it like 35. With 35 Gs here you can live like a cat who makes 80-100Gs in La-La land. I know that for sure. WTF, do you live in SA? If not take it off your location Einstein.

I commute from LA to SA. 6 months in Cali, 6 here. I have lived in Denver (biggest piece of s h i t city ever), Phoenix (hell on earth), D.C. (don't get me started), Miami (cool but Hurricanes suck), Tampa (talking about medical waste/polluted water, and crack is still a problem, hahaha). SF is cool, but TOOO COOL, like cold all year round. San Diego is cool but even more non-jumping than SA.

NYC stinks like p i s s all year round. Philly and Atlanta are a segregationist's dream, and Chicago is WAAAAAACK! I have been to every real city. I know this about SA. The women are BEAUTIFUL, every real man's idea of beauty. The cost of living is ridiculous. I bought a very nice 2-story 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom pad for $150,000. You can't get a section 8 crib for that in Cali, especially SF and LA. Jobs are plentiful and we have a minimum of 5 real 4-year colleges here, 2 being rated in the top 10 of Universities in the US.

LA comes in second just because of the weather and amount of young folks fun. Texas as a whole, DullASS and Boostin' Houston included, has a 40% HS grad rate. All the major cities have that same rate. We have a very educated populace here, especially in the healthcare/science field and that's not just nurses (why are all Paramedics so fascinated with nurses). We have a large ex-military population living here. They are AF guys and gals too. Not dumb-arsed Army and Marine f u ck s. The average Airman is above average intelligence when compared to the civilian populace, and they have skills.

The argument you give is the basic W.A.S.P. one. They would never hook us up- you know the good ole' boys. Then we would have the best city to live in as well as the riche$$$. SA is self-sufficient and has made the fact that it is a service industry dominated city into a positive. Just 'cause you like pollution and rudeness doesn't mean it is a good thing. Denver fu cks like to say we have a small TV market and we don't deserve an NFL team or a real world championship b/c of this. Have you guys ever lived in Denver? It suuuuuuucks, and they don't even know it. I don't care if every skinhead and hilljack there owned 3 TVs per household. It is rich b/c the whitey's hook it up.

Dallas is OKlahoha. Houston is Louisiana. Austin is an experiment gone awry and the people are aloof for no reason. SA is Texas for the reals. Right in the middle and the folks are that way-moderate. Not rednecked out or country fried to the bone. It's a lot like San Diego without the beach.

Oh yeah, as for watersports we have 2 big lakes in Bexar county. Calavares is awesome for Redfishing as is Braunig. The same goes for Hybrid (Striped-bass) fishing. Skiing, waverunners, all that can be done. Both are just outside city limits. Canyon lake has real Striped Bass and the adjacent rivers have Rainbow Trout. So WTF do you know foolio? Nathan obviously. The coast is the same coast for all of Texas. There is not much surfing because our coast is a "sloping coastline", not the end of a continental shelf like Cali. Therefore no dramatic waves crashing against a continental "wall". Still, it is near us 2.5 hours at the most, and far enough away to keep us out of a hurricanes path.

You musta' got dissed by a beautiful latina honey. Oh well. You sound like a bigot anyway. Good riddance. Only real people that don't like pallid, balding, bottle water drinking, prejudice, mercenary beer drinking barbarians dig SA. I'm very cosmopolitan. I have lived everywhere from Tokyo to Tucson and I can say that if you are smart and know better you could never diss SA. Plus, we just got Toyota to move here and regardless of that lucky a s s ed badly coached/reff'd. first game, we will also have the world champs in basketball.

Maxim was wrong (or YM or whoever). We gots the best looking chix in the whole USA!!! Caique my Brazilian BJJ friend from LA agreed! Come and see...

fa_jing
05-21-2003, 02:49 PM
"Philly and Atlanta are a segregationist's dream, and Chicago is WAAAAAACK! "

I disagree entirely - I grew up in Philly - only major city I know where black people dominate the government, there are large integrated areas including my neighborhood Mt. Airy which is cited as one of the top 10 examples of a successful integrated neighborhood in the USA...the one thing that everyone complains about is the f'd up city wage and gross receipt taxes which drive businesses and jobs out to the burbs - and the one -way streets downtown, but what are you going to do about that? Those streets were originally designed for horse and buggy. Also public trans is a nightmare. Beautiful area, though - lots of woods, streams, 1 hour from the ocean, 1.5 hours from incredible camping/fishing whatever in the Poconos, two hours from NY if that's your thing...

I live in Chicago now - there's definitely more segregation here, but there are still a lot of good parts - my neighborhood has Africans, Jamaicans, Mexicans, whites, African-Americans...a few blocks away is a Pakistani/Indian community, a few more blocks away is a big Jewish/Korean community. Much better run city than Philadelphia (city services, attractions) plenty to do, I think the place rocks, though the weather can stink, still there's plenty of sunny days. The disadvantages are high housing cost, not much in the way of day-trips, tough winters. Sorry you Southerners may have the weather, but I will always relate better to Northerners....

'MegaPoint
05-21-2003, 02:56 PM
I haven't been to Philly in awhile. My bad. There was a lot of bad attitude when I was there though. One thing I can say about practically every major city, except SA, is that the Hip Hop culture is at least present in them on some level. SA is like the only top 10 city to not have a branch of the "Zulu Nation". I have to go to LA to sell my beats. I know Philly is a hot bed for real Hip Hop culture. I'm not just talking rap either. The same can be said for Chi-town. Common, 'Da Brat, so on. We are behind like a decade when it comes to Hip Hop in SA. Still, for somewhere to live the cost of living, convenience, space and friendliness of this city is 2nd to none. Peace...

Water Dragon
05-21-2003, 05:38 PM

During my time in san antonio I dated women of hispanic, asian, anglo and african american descent. I learned spanish for no other reason than to better treat the poor rural population of South Texas, where I was often time the ONLY health care they recieved. I worked in free clinics and for a county 911 service, treating up to 150 undocumented aliens a month for exposure and injuries sustained from entering this country illegally.

OK, so your quick to talk about the poor old rural latinos, and how you helped los pobres mojados. Is that all you see? You're very quick to say negative things about the city, and then make references to hispanics or Mexico to back it up. Is everything negative associated with latinos?

There's a whole lot out there you're missing. Or if you do see it, you choose to reinforce the negative sterotype, and that is so much worse. Here's an example for you. I went to a wedding this weekend, and I had the chance to run into a lot of my old "poor hispanic" buddies. Franco, the groom, works for Hummer and supervises quality control at the plant. Cesar just opened his own restaurant. Armando just graduated law school and will be taking the bar in July. Jesse has 1 more year of law school to go. Tone is back in school and gets his BA in finance next year. Chris is plant supervisor at Ford. Orlando has 1 more year of med school and he will be a doctor. My other friend Chris is in territorial sales for Pitney Bowes. Raul's still not doing much, but Hey! that's just Raul :D Hey! at least he's educated.

Hopefully my observations will balance out your negative stereotypes so that people on the boards can get a truer representation of the community you so graciously decided to save.

fa_jing
05-21-2003, 06:01 PM
yes, Philly is kind of famous for bad attitude - actually they just aren't used to visitors/newcomers, and that's just the way people talk - it's an East Coast thang. To really appreciate the city, you almost have to have been born there - you won't find your way around easily or quickly. But man, South Philly Italian market, Fairmount Park (the largest municipal park in the country),which has a freaking great 7 mile gravel running trail in the middle of the woods by the Wissahickon river, with quarter mile markers and exercise stations, plus lots of trails if you're into mountain biking. The Art museum/area, Schukyll river, great clubs but NOT the d.umbass suburban meat markets/jello shot joints on Delaware Ave. --I mean the cool clubs like Silk City and the Bank on Spring Garden Ave, you've got Olde City area, also 17th -23rd street and Walnut/Chestnut, several jazz spots, South Street (OK too many piercings LOL), great pizza. Plus you can actually afford to live downtown if you wish. I don't know if you've hung around U of Penn but that area sucks, ignorant college kids can't figure out that you need to cross the bridge into Center City where the cool spots are. There's a nice Chinatown, better than the one here. The music scene is definitely hip. Man I'm starting to miss home.

Water Dragon
05-21-2003, 06:50 PM
Oh c'mon FaJing, the only thing that ever came out Philly was the Fresh Prince and Cheese Steaks.

'Megapoint, Watch you mouth talk about Chicago.

SCFalken
05-21-2003, 08:05 PM
How's the San Antonio Martial Arts scene? Good selection?

Steven

ewallace
05-22-2003, 06:24 AM
How's the San Antonio Martial Arts scene? Good selection?
Not very good now, but getting better. There might be more TKD schools than McDonalds here, more than Burger King for sure. Quite a bit of KMA. There are a couple of wing tsun places, and a MMA place that I haven't checked out yet, which I believe I am owed an ass whooping from sevenstar and water dragon for not checking out yet.

fa_jing
05-22-2003, 10:52 AM
The Roots, Bill Cosby, Kurupt, Pink, soft pretzels with mustard, the Hoagie, Rasheed Wallace, Benjamin Franklin.

Noam Chomsky and Mr. Roper from "Three's Company" went to my highschool.

Water Dragon
05-22-2003, 11:00 AM
Oh yeah?!?! Well we got, uh we have, um well...

Well we got Michael Jackson! (I don;t know if I should be proud of that or not :confused: )

Shaolin-Do
05-22-2003, 01:39 PM
There really isnt much for TCMA here in town... I just got back from martial art supply store, saw a SC buisness card WD.... hehe
That and shaolin-do were the only kung fu ads up.... the rest were tang soo doo, tae kwan do, kuk sool won, karate do, cardio kick boxing...... ect................
:(
Music scene : pretty weak as f*ck. gotta go to austin to catch good hip hop, but austin goes pretty hard. seen common, roots, talib kweli in the past 6 months.