PDA

View Full Version : Turning the corner, TWC vs. other approach(es)?

fa_jing
05-16-2003, 12:14 PM
Hi, I remember that my Chueng-style WC teacher emphasized turning the corner, in other words going from a side-neutral stance to a forward stance, something like this:

********\
/ / -----> \

with the left leg landing where the right foot was

The movement was performed especially in conjunction with Lop Sao, and was for taking the blind side of the opponent.

I have a question, as a poor 4th year student don't know the answer: Does any other lineage practice this move? Or is this particular to TWC?

fa_jing
05-16-2003, 12:19 PM
P.S. I hope that diagram displays correctly on people's browsers...I had to insert those asterixes to get it to display properly - the slashes represent your feet...

TjD
05-16-2003, 12:34 PM
how does the left foot get to where the right foot was? a hop?

i use a similar step, but the left foot stays in place while the right foot cuts forward.

fa_jing
05-16-2003, 12:53 PM
Not the same move, TjD, because that wouldn't take you around the guy. Umm, actually both of the feet move in a curved trajectory - the left foot kindof hooking into place. The way the footwork works, it adds power to a strike from either hand.

Difficult to explain. I can't even properly do it, much less explain it. But the move is practiced alot in TWC AFAIK. Supposedly the counter is to cut them off by turning and driving into them as they make the turn (kwan sao was given as an example). If you let them get there you're toast.