View Full Version : abbreviations e.g. HFY

foolinthedeck
05-17-2003, 02:17 PM
can someone leave a permanent thread on with some explanation of abbreviations?

what is HFY ??

there are others.. it took me ages to work out that people used ycwyk or something just to mean the basic stance...

no more BS! (bong sau)

dezhen2001
05-17-2003, 04:41 PM
hey m8 - this is the internet - u have 2 use abbreviaitons :D

dawood

John Weiland
05-17-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by foolinthedeck

what is HFY ??

No one seems to know. Many are the questions, but the answers....? :p Speculation is that's it's a form of Kung Fu practiced in San Francisco.

there are others.. it took me ages to work out that people used ycwyk or something just to mean the basic stance...

There is no one basic stance. Yee gi kim yung mar (abbreviated YGKYM) is the Romanization of the Chinese for "two-legged goat gripping stance." Other basic stances have their own Cantonese names. While it isn't necessary to learn the Cantonese, at present, it is the argot of the main lineage, Yip Man Wing Chun.

Regards,

Mike Mathews
05-19-2003, 06:57 PM
>can someone leave a permanent thread on with some >explanation of abbreviations?
>
>what is HFY ??
>
>there are others.. it took me ages to work out that people used >ycwyk or something just to mean the basic stance...
>
>no more BS! (bong sau)

HFY stands for Hung Fa Yi. The translation is:
Hung- red
Fa- flower
Yi- righteuosness

Hung Fa Yi is a system of Wing Chun that came from the Southern Shaolin Temple. It's history goes back approximately 350 years.

If you're interested in more information check out the Ving Tsun Museum website @ www.vtmuseum.org

Mike

canglong
05-19-2003, 07:19 PM
Hello sisuk Mike,

Excellent post, the only thing I might add is that foolinthedeck might take up the issue of an appendage page with the moderator of this forum sounds like a good idea.

Train
05-19-2003, 11:42 PM
No one seems to know. Many are the questions, but the answers....? Speculation is that's it's a form of Kung Fu practiced in San Francisco. John Weiland

hmmm..... mud slinging?????? another cheap shot from Mr. John Grendal......woops i meant Weiland........ :)

desertwingchun2
05-19-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by John Weiland

No one seems to know. Many are the questions, but the answers....? :p Speculation is that's it's a form of Kung Fu practiced in San Francisco.

Since HFYWC is practiced across the United States, many with first hand experience know what it is!

"Many are the questions, but the answers ....." are not for a troll student and a certain troll wanna-be student from Ben Der and Ken Chung schools.

No "speculation" to it Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun is practiced in San Francisco and other cities across the U.S.

The only "speculation is" when you will answer for your behavior toward Chris Chan sifu and his wing chun family.

Your behavior on here reflects very poorly on the Ben Der/Ken Chung wing chun family. Thankfully not many of your sihingdai follow the behavior you exhibit on this kung fu forum.

-David

dragon lady
05-20-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by foolinthedeck

what is HFY ??

no more BS! (bong sau)

Although HFY is an abreviation that I am quite familiar with, I do agree that there are quite a few others floating about that I have had some trouble with. Luckily I have a built in forum thesaurus at home (aka taltos/Levi) to help translate. It was particulary difficult for me when I first started following the forum because some of the other schools and lineages use different vocabulary than ours does and that made the short hand confusing. Then there are all of the basics like "IMHO" that totally threw me. Levi had quite the laugh when I inquired about that one...I just couln't figure out what technique it refered to!! IMHO I am much wiser now.

I also agree that, as canglong said,
foolinthedeck might take up the issue of an appendage page with the moderator of this forum

I am all for an abbreviation cheat sheet to ease the read for the newcomers!

Crystal

Grinding Hands
05-20-2003, 09:17 AM
WRT?? Whats that mean?

Grinding Hands
05-20-2003, 09:21 AM
Oh is it "with regards to"?

canglong
05-20-2003, 09:23 AM
WRT = with regards to,
with reference to I believe ;)

reneritchie
05-20-2003, 11:33 AM
Has anyone registered a trademark for WC++ yet?

Geezer
05-20-2003, 11:54 AM