PDA

View Full Version : How does Luohan fit into Shaolin Kung Fu?

freedom76
05-17-2003, 08:38 PM
I understand what a Luohan is in the Buddhist doctrinal sense, but how does the term fit into Shaolin Kung Fu movement? What makes the form Luohan? I've seen three Luohan forms (short, xiao, and da), learned the xiao luohan, but I'm missing what makes it Luohan. What are the concepts involved? What are the signature movement(s) involved? (zuo pan?) Is it just empty-hand forms or are there Luohan weapons forms?

joedoe
05-18-2003, 08:12 PM
There are usually some signature movements in Lohan style kung fu. I am no expert, but things like buddha hands (both palms facing upwards, arms raised above the head) and the stances are usually good indicators.

I think there are weapons in Lohan kung fu.

NorthernShaolin
05-23-2003, 12:33 PM
First there are no weapons or weapon sets associated directly with Lo Han in that it specifically belongs to it.

The style, Lo han, is really a sub style that grew out of Shaolin. At one time, Lo Han was so highly developed and was regarded as the official protecting style of the temple. During this time period, not everyone could learn this style and thus became a very desireable style to learn. But this was many years ago. Lo Han is almost as old as Shaolin so what we have here is a long time span with many generations of evolving the style.

Originally the style was more of a defense mode where it was non aggressive but still contain techniques that would contain or disable the opponent. Today, there are many different variations of Lo han because of the layers upon layers of generations that branched off and thus none of the original techniques of Lo han can be identified.

Todays Lo han, the techniques are very active and agressive. Most styles have incoperated Lo Han sets into their curriculum. Usually in situations like this, but not always, anything labled Lo han would mean "best techniques" of my style. It is very difficult to locate a complete curriculum of the Lo han style in a school. But there are some out there. You just have to look very hard to find them.

Tainan Mantis
06-12-2003, 07:22 AM
NorthernShaolin,
May I ask where you read that Luohan was the official protecting style of the temple?

bodhitree
06-12-2003, 07:45 AM
Do any of you have a list of all (or most of the)Louhan style forms?

NorthernShaolin
06-12-2003, 12:20 PM
Tainan Mantis,

I read this many years ago. I have to give you a rain check on this because it may take some time for me to re-locate the original source.

Tainan Mantis
06-14-2003, 06:44 AM
Hi NortherShaolin,
I can wait.
Have you heard of the book Elucidation on Shaolin Stick, Spear and Saber?

Written late in the Ming dynasty.
As far as I know this is the oldest book on Shaolin MA.
It doesn't mention any empty hand fighting systems by name.

NorthernShaolin
06-20-2003, 09:32 AM
Is this the book that you are currently working on? I think I have a copy somewhere. Can you tell me who wrote the book? Is it General Chi Chi Kung?

beiquan
06-20-2003, 12:27 PM
Tainan,

Would this by any chance be Cheng Zongyou's "Shaolin gunfa Chanzong"? I have heard of this as a Ming book on Shaolin pole techniques written by a lay disciple... although no mention of spear and saber in that title.

If not, I'd be interested to know the title and author too!