PDA

View Full Version : 20 rep squat and other info!

Rolling Elbow
05-18-2003, 01:06 PM
I finally am well enough to try 20 rep squats. One set- to 20. (using hip belt squat mind you, still can't squat cause of my lower lumbar injury)

Well, as Iron reported, I too got that b$tch of a headache. Tried it a week later, got to 16 reps and the headache returned. One set to fried legs! after my second failed attempt though, (I bowed out at 16 reps), i did an additional 2 sets for 9 reps and my legs did not compare to the one set of 20 reps.

I am now convinced of two things: 20 rep squats are a ***** but they can't be good for ya no matter how much you breathe. Great on the legs but a killer on the rest of ya 2. Doing overall less weight training is probably better than the 3-4 week workouts and split routines. I'm now down 2 twice a week and notice no loss in size but an increase in strength. Imagine that.., getting brain washed my joe steroids and high volume training! Its b.s.

I have been concentrating on getting close to a gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, something which i think has also contributed in size gains again AND strength. So there ya go, pay attention to diet and don't overtrain- you'll get way further!

As for those 20 rep squats, I still can't figure out why my head would almost explode from one set but not from 3 sets of less reps. Anyone have any ideas of why this might have occured or how it can be controlled..

Becca
05-18-2003, 01:46 PM
3 sets of less = shorter amount of time you are putting pressure on your siatic(sp?) nerve. Less pressure = less stress = doesn't freek your body out as much and circulation isn't disruped as long.

Ford Prefect
05-19-2003, 08:54 AM
Try taking 3 breaths in between each rep. I've done 20-rep programs and never had a headache. Maybe you guys are high strung. ;)

Rolling Elbow
05-21-2003, 09:36 AM
tried it- killed my head again!

gotta get off the 20 rep sets i guess :-(

Suntzu
05-21-2003, 09:54 AM
20 reps is a every now-and-again thing right… not a every leg workout WO???

Ford Prefect
05-21-2003, 10:15 AM
It's a cycle. When I pick it up I go 8 weeks generally.

Becca
05-21-2003, 10:16 AM
RE: Maybe you could try working up to 20. You say you cam do 16? Maybe hold it to 15 for 2-3 workouts. then 16 again. then 15, then 16 for 2-3 workouts, the 17, then 16, ect... You may just need to condition your vasclar system for it.