PDA

View Full Version : Questions about running

IronFist
05-20-2003, 10:25 AM
I don't know anything about running :D So I figured I'd ask here.

Ok, my girlfriend did a marathon when she was 18 (she's 22 now). I was like "Holy crap! I can't even run a mile" :p Anyway, she told me some stuff about training for running that sounded suspect so I thought I'd ask here cuz I'm sure someone here has to know something about running.

She ran like 8 miles the other day and said it wasn't too hard, but she said her legs were a little bit sore. Then she said that in running, you aren't supposed to wait until the soreness goes away before you run again. I was like :eek: :eek: :eek: because in weightlifting I know that generally speaking that's not the case. However, I imagine the damage done by running long distances may be different from the damage done by lifting heavy weights for relatively few reps (few reps meaning in comparison with many many many reps done in running).

She said that running again while you're still sore is the only way to be able to run longer distances. You can imagine what I was thinking at this point.

So my question, is that true for running, or is it better to wait until you're completely healed? I don't know much about endurance activities.

She also said that she has read in some running books something about "resistance running." That is, running with parachutes behind you and other stuff. I think I could understand that. But she also said she read that it's good to run with light weights in your hands. I said that was pretty useless... but have any runners here ever heard that?

So, someone enlighten me in the ways of running :D

IronFist

Robinf
05-20-2003, 10:59 AM
I don't know about running long distances like that, but I can't imagine running when you're sore is any good. I understand working through the burn in sprinting, but I just don't like the idea of running long distance while sore--shin splints are not good.

Has she taken a break from running and just recently gotten back to it?

As far as running with parachutes--it's mostly to help sprinters get faster, has little to do with helping endurance.

Running with "heavy hands" helps cardio to an extent if you pump your arms up above your heart level. It can also help those in relay races get used to running with a weighted object in his/her hand. But, again, I don't think it will do much for endurance.

To help run long distances, you need to run long distances with varying levels of hills.

Ford Prefect
05-20-2003, 11:09 AM
Hey IF,

I'm definately not as up to par on my running knowledge as I am on lifting, but I've been doing a lot of research while training for triathalons for the summer. The soreness from running and the soreness from lifting are generally caused by two seperate stimuli. The soreness from running is generally just an inflammation of connective tissue due to overuse and repetitive stress. Continuing to run, especially if you are an experienced, conditioned runner, isn't as dangerous as you may think.

However, overuse injuries are still common to runners for trying to push the point. During BUD/S (Navy SEAL training) the trainee's don't run every third week for this reason. One of the most common injuries in BUD/S is a somewhat dabilitating inflammation of the IT Band, which runs along the outside of your leg, from running. Like anything, you should listen to your body. There is a difference between being sore and/or stiff and being injured.

Resistance running is generally done for training sprints. Dragging parachuets, sleds, and tires are all pretty common in a wide-range of sports.

CD Lee
05-20-2003, 12:24 PM
IF - It just so happens I used to be a running fanatic doing 10K and 5K races a few years ago. I am pretty well read on a lot of the running techniques and training methods.

1. Distance runners can indeed run every single day. What they should not do however, is increase their milage more than 10% per week when upping the volume. So, if they suddenly out of the blue run 50% more than normal, it is advised to take off some days. Also, all good running programs cycle your intensity to keep from breaking down too much. Most running programs for distance runners involve 1-2 days off per week. So, no you do not need to wait until you are completely un-sore before running again. Elite runners run 150-190 miles per week! That is...world class runners, who are not only incredibly talented but also have efficient frames and usually weigh no more than 2 lbs per inch of height. If you are 5'9 - that is 138 lbs.

2. You should never run with weights on your ankles for distance training. This applies especially if you run a lot or are well trained. Your body produces stabilization muscles that balance every single inefficiency in your body while running and even walking. Some of you may get onto me for this statement but this invites serious injury for a regular runner. Great runners develop great running technique just like cyclists develop great technical 'spinning'. Efficiency and technique are critical for runners. That means biomechanics, body weight, foot pronation, VO2Max, and other factors.

3. 'Distance' runners build strength by running properly at all times, and using resistance techniques that involve running on hills, or doing interval training. Similar to PTP for runners if you will. Just like in weight training, runners cannot max out and stay at that level indefinately and keep improving. They have to cycle their training just like everybody else to keep breaking into faster times over a period of time. The difference is that they can run every day, but CANNOT run hard everyday.

4. The parachutes would be for sprinters and explosive sports. That is fine, as it does not change the 'running machine', just adds resistance to the machine. Runing with weights 'changes' the machine.

IronFist
05-20-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Robinf
Has she taken a break from running and just recently gotten back to it?

Yeah. She did the marathon 4 years ago. She's kept up with running, but not as hardcore as she used to. I just met her last semester (January) and I know she didn't run much during that semester. I don't remember if she did before that or not, though.

She said the day after the marathon you feel like complete crap. I guess I could understand that.

I'd like to get to the point where I could run one mile. I've always avoided cardio because of my already fast metabolism, but still... maybe if I ran like one mile I could eat a ton of food afterward to make up for it :D

I have to go eat dinner now. I'll post more later. Thanks for the info so far.

IronFist

CD Lee
05-20-2003, 09:04 PM
Iron - You only burn like 100 calories per mile, whether you walk or run. So you can do 2.5 miles, and wipe it out with one Snicker bar. No excuses now right? Go run with your woman and be a man!

Robinf
05-21-2003, 06:14 AM
Cardio doesn't do that much in burning calories. Cardio is great, however, for the (cough) cardio vascular system--to make sure your heart keeps pumping, the blood gets around.

I know that after taking time off from running, my shins and hip flexors get pretty sore that first time out. Usually, I take a day off and stretch lightly throughout the day, then run the next day. But that's me. And, I am thirty--I don't heal as quickly as I used to :mad:

I love running, myself--but not marathon distances. I'm comfortable at 5 miles max.

My sister and I are competing against each other in a Sprint Triathlon for Reebok to support Ovarian Cancer research. Swim 750M, Bike 12.4 miles, Run 3.1 miles. The swim kills me, but I kick it on the bike and run. My sister's a d@mn fish!

fa_jing
05-21-2003, 08:23 AM
C'mon Ironfist - you don't do cardio training at all? Is your whole goal to get hyuge? I mean jump rope, hit the bag for six rounds, please. You seriously can't run a mile and you say you're interested in Martial Arts?

IronFist
05-21-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by CD Lee
Iron - You only burn like 100 calories per mile, whether you walk or run. So you can do 2.5 miles, and wipe it out with one Snicker bar. No excuses now right? Go run with your woman and be a man!

Yeah right, maybe 100 calories for you :)

I can burn 100 calories doing nothing. It's not the same for everyone.

IronFist

Robinf
05-21-2003, 10:21 AM
IF,

I can burn 100 calories doing nothing.

Wanna switch metabolisms?

:D :(

IronFist
05-21-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by inic
"if you can talk while you're running, it means you're not running fast enough"

I asked my girlfriend, "Isn't running for miles boring?" She said "no, because I usually talk with the person I'm running with."

Maybe I'll actually start running one of these days.

:D

IronFist

Fred Sanford
05-22-2003, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by inic
"if you can talk while you're running, it means you're not running fast enough

*that is not necessarily correct. If you are running that hard it's anaerobic exercise. Depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

when i was training for a marathon the vast majority of my runs were low intensity long durations runs. 70% of max heart rate or so, aerobic not anaerobic.

3 hours and 6 minutes isn't too bad for 26.2 miles.

CD Lee
05-22-2003, 08:10 AM
if you can talk while you're running, it means you're not running fast enough

I would have to agree with Fred on this point. In fact, most running experts say if you can't carry on a conversation while running, your running too fast. Of course, this is to build milage and does not apply when pushing the pace or interval training, which takes you into anerobic territory.

Fred, that is a very respectable marathon time for a normal person. I doubt most people could obtain that time without years and years of solid training.

Fred Sanford
05-22-2003, 01:55 PM
that was back in the days when all i did was swim, cycle and run. I only weighed 145-150 lbs, at 5'10".

Now it's 6 years later and I'm about 50 lbs heavier. Running doesn't interest me much anymore. Been there, done that.

zen_celt
05-25-2003, 04:25 PM
Iron-
Go out and run dude. I hated running when I was in high school and my best 1 mile time was aroun 8min or so and I thought I was going to die afterwards. Now I run just for fun to clear my head and get some breath. You may not think you can do a mile, but if you push yourself, you'd be surprised at the speed and distance you can go. Before Army Basic training, a mile was tough, but afterwards(9 weeks) of running 2-3 mile every other day, I can run 2 miles in 13:28-14min or go for about 5 miles straight(at a slower pace). I did get some bad shin splints during training, though, so I suggest you ease into it and remember to keep good form! Roll on yor foot from heel to toe and keep your strides long. If you take short strides and bounce on your toes, you'll hurt bad. But try it for at least three months of steady training and see if you like it. Remember, the first few times you run will be the worst. As the cross country coach at my school used to say, "The hardest thing about running distance is putting on the shoes(getting started)."
Also, like was said earlier, don't run on concrete, choose asphalt, grass or softer dirt as the impact is less on your shins, hips, and lower back.

P.S. I too have a crazily high metabolism, but I found that if I eat a bit more than usual, I'll be alright. You may find you lose a little fat in the beginning, but it will even off as you get used to it.
In fact it cut my bf% a bunch and I feel better when I finish a run. Except in the mountains because the altitiude is so high and there's not enough O2.

-ZC

jun_erh
05-26-2003, 06:03 AM
my teacher used to run with a heavy weighted vest and says he got great results from this. I used to run like 4-5 miles every other day. I tried doing about half that w/ ankle weights and was totally dead. Running is great for endurance, but not really fat burning.

What I'd do, Ironfist, is run for about the same length of time as your martial arts class is. If it's one hour, run one hour.

Ish
05-26-2003, 04:12 PM
You should deffinatly give it a try Iron. I couldnt run a mile a couplke of years ago but i can do over 10 now.

Why's running on a treadmill so pointless?

iron thread
05-26-2003, 10:10 PM
Why's running on a treadmill so pointless?

Because you can run for an hour and be beat by a baby in a minute.

jun_erh
05-27-2003, 09:00 AM
I use a sort of gear system when I run, like 1st gear second gear. first gear is like an old person, 4th or 5th is like a sprint. So you want to stay in like 3 with occasional (telephone) pole to pole sprints.

Fred Sanford
05-27-2003, 01:36 PM
Running is great for endurance, but not really fat burning.

running is great for fat burning.