PDA

View Full Version : natural fat burners?

Rolling Elbow
05-20-2003, 11:51 AM
some say omega 3 fatty acids like flax seed oil...

others say tribulus but that can play with hormones and possibly increased chance of side effects like increased chest tissue or gyno in men...

soo many conflicting ideas, where are the answers?!!Then you've got products like Yohimburn which is an add away from being a ***** enlargement supplement lol..

I only started looking at this as i noticed getting older and working a desk job, the pounds can creep up on you awefully quickly. Gotta start some cardio, but need to hold onto the lean mass!

Who has tried natural solutions and can debunk or provide us with info on some of the effects you experienced using any of these or other herbs?

(no roids please)

norther practitioner
05-20-2003, 02:21 PM
Just be careful with the likes of ephedra and mahwong etc.

Becca
05-20-2003, 09:45 PM
everything I've tried along those lins have given me the shakes and rapid hartbeat. I've alos tried things like apple vinigar and ginger, but those did nothing. Well, drinking a swing of vinigar before diner did kill my apitite, but that had more to do with the taste and the heartburn it gave me.

Ford Prefect
05-21-2003, 04:24 AM
Eating often (every 3.5 hours) combined with a reduced calorie intake, not eating within 2 hours of bed, cardio in the mornings before you eat anything, and eating smart (no simple sugars; always combine carbs with a protein or fat; etc) will strip fat off your body. No need for using pharmaceuticals.

Rolling Elbow
05-21-2003, 08:31 AM
that's interesting.. there are those who say you should eat something before you sleep as wellas those who say to eat carbs independently of protein.

One thing i have noticed since looking at my diet, is that i was getting nowhere close to the amount of protein i should be taking. I'm now adding 2 shakes a day plus regular eating and i am still only at 160 g of protein a day MAX. I way 180-185. And yes, i'm counting protein in breads and milk as well.

What cardio routines have worked for all of you? I was thinking of power cycling- aneorobic/aerobic combined or sprinting.

Becca
05-21-2003, 09:02 AM
Regular running agrivates an old hip and ankle injury, so I bike instead. I also walk every were if I can. In addition, I practice my forms and such in a way that it keeps my heart rate elevated for 45-60 minets at a time. It makes it easier to get my cardio when I make it part of just getting things done. I also shoot for at least 20 minets of cardio every day.

Ford Prefect
05-21-2003, 10:21 AM
Rolling Elbow,

Since you don't need much energy when you sleep, anything you have in your stomach when you go to sleep will generally be stored as fat.

Also, eating carbs independently of protein will cause a bombardment of glucose into your bloodstream due to the fact that it metabolizes very quickly, which will cause your pancreas to secrete insulin to regulate your blood sugar, which will cause any glucose not needed for energy production to be taken to your liver and converted to fat for later energy needs. If you eat some protein or fat with carbs, it will slow down the digestive process and thus cause a more drawn out release of glucose into your blood stream.

fa_jing
05-21-2003, 11:13 AM
My wife has had moderate success with L-Carnitine. I have a feeling this would vary from person to person, however.

Golden Arms
05-21-2003, 12:12 PM
skip the herbs and stuff entirely...try to eat a semi balanced diet between carbs, proteins and fats..and do interval training. This is way easier than it sounds...instead of running for 20 minutes..run hard for two, then walk for 1, then run for 2, walk for one..etc until the 20 minutes are up.......

Thats it! You do those two things, (substitute any activity that you can vary the intenstity of, like stairs, bicycle, jump rope, elliptical machine, etc.) and you will see WAY more results in just a month or two than you will ever see with herbs that play with your heartrate..plus it will increase your metabolism as well.

I know its fun to try and get results out of a jar, but if more people would just TRY Interval training and small changes in their diet, they would see the results they want.

Just my two cents.

inic
05-21-2003, 01:42 PM
take a spoonful of cod liver oil then go running for 30 min....

SevenStar
05-21-2003, 02:49 PM
Everything that ford said.

Since the topic is about natural burners though, here's something that an old wrestling coach I know used to drink when he was cutting weight - I've never tried it, this was just something he told me about, and it's relevant to the topic...

lemon juice
cayenne pepper
honey

he'd mix those together and drink it with his small meals.

Black Jack
05-22-2003, 06:35 AM
Since you asked for supplement type info- Make sure you get a solid amount of good quality protien.

Make sure you also get enough fiber in your diet or add a bulk cleanse type product if you need more.

Other things to consider is to reduce suger cravings by stablilizing the metabolism. Their are products on the market with one of the ket ingredients being Chromium picolinate. Their is also Lecithin capsules which act as a fat emulsifier which breaks down fat so it can be removed from the body or better yet Gamma-ammino-butyric acid (GABA) which suppresses craving and even has antidepressant qualities. Calicum is also import as it helps in the activation of lipase which also breaks down fats in the body.

Also take a look at the following amino acids which also aid in decreasing body fat- Arginine, ornithine, lysine, carnitine, glutamine, methionine, phenylalanine, tyrosine, take the ones you can in a chain supplement. Do not take to much arginine without lysine as it can cause an imbalance and you could get cold sores.

Colostrum is also good.

Take a look at Sports Nutrition as it is often the best bet besides a controlled diet and good excersice. Calcium pyruvate, CLA, Microized Creatine, 7-Keto-DHEA, Cross-flow Whey Protien,