PDA

View Full Version : internal in Bak Silum

Cincinnatus
09-02-2001, 07:23 PM
Hi, this is a question for any Bak Silum practitioners out there. I was just wondering if there are any internal sets within the bak Silum curriculum. I have looking at several external styles of KF and seeing how they transition into the internal in the advanced stages and the only info I have been able to find is Iron Wire in Hung Kuen. I know that BSL has the 10 core hand sets, but none of them look like an internal set per se. Are internal exercises simply interspesed throughout the training and not collected as a separate set, or are they taught at a way more advanced level and thus not divulged to the public? And if anyone doesn;t mind one more question, are they more hard qigong/dynamic tension oriented like Iron Wire or are they softer, like the various 18 lohan exercises? Thanks.

What we do in life, echoes in eternity
--Maximus Decimus Meridius, General of the Army of the North, Commander of the Felix Legions

Subitai
09-03-2001, 06:29 AM
Not my particular field of study but as i've been told. Most BSL people don't really get any strictly internal from the 10 core hands or 18 weapons.
They get into internal when they traditionally add to thier repetoir by doing seperate Chi Gung Exercises, Small Golden Bell Iron Body and also doing Iron Palm.

2 cents
"O"

"Brilliant general"! "When the dirty ******* finds out, he'll return with his men--then we kill the all of them..." www.kwoon.tv (http://www.kwoon.tv)

Srluntyde2
09-12-2001, 09:18 PM
there is internal practice in the within the core set of bak sil lum. I have only been with the school for only over a year, and I can most definitly say the sets can be done fast, but by doing them slowly; you can see where you are tense in the arms or legs, as well as concentrate on breath.

Ralek
09-12-2001, 09:26 PM
You seem to be interested in fantasies. Your interested in internal this, external that, chi powered punches, ect. None of this stuff is going to help you in a fight. You can learn all about breathing and how to ultilize mystical chi powers but it's very sad becuase all of it is an illusion.

Doing drills with your classmates will not help your fighting. Doing 10 hand sheot will not improve your ability at all. Practicing low stances that are suicidal in a fight will not help you.

In short. Take up boxing/kickboxing/san shou/muythai. These will teach you how to fight and there is no mumbo jumbo of mystical chi powers.

For grappling do Brazilian jiujitsu. If you get very good at BJJ then you will be able to stomp people in fights that are much better strikers than you becuase most people are clueless on the ground.

Brazilian jiujitsu is superior.

Fu-Pow
09-12-2001, 10:19 PM
I think that the "internal" in most of the Shaolin derived arts is something like iron shirt. Basically, you learn to excite muscles to a high state. It is not to be confused with the internal arts like Taiji.

Fu-Pow
http://www.makskungfu.com/images/Graphics/Choy%20Lay%20Fut%20red.gif

Subitai
09-13-2001, 12:55 AM
Srluntyde2 Wrote: "there is internal practice in the within the core set of bak sil lum. I have only been with the school for only over a year, and I can most definitly say the sets can be done fast, but by doing them slowly; you can see where you are tense in the arms or legs, as well as concentrate on breath"

** You are deviating from your system. BSL, should have speed, endurance, flexibility, punches like a Stone at the end of a rope, 1 kick should equal 10 punches. A bullet is small...why is it deadly? ...speed! If you're not doing this you're not using your training to your strengths. Nor are you sticking to the flavor of your system.
Then if you get beat don't blame the system.

fight your fight
"O"

"Brilliant general"! "When the dirty ******* finds out, he'll return with his men--then we kill the all of them..." www.kwoon.tv (http://www.kwoon.tv)

Kung Lek
09-13-2001, 01:51 AM
although i find there are far to many definitions of "internal" and "external" in regards to martial arts practice, as a student of Bak Sil Lum I don't think it is to far a stretch to note that 10 road Tan Tui can be played as an internal set.

Iron Vest and Iron Palm are closely connected with this system also (Master Kyu Yu Cheong, Founder of Bak Sil Lum was a noted practitioner and teacher of these), although these practices aren't generally defined as "sets".

peace

Kung Lek

friday
09-13-2001, 05:35 AM
Hi Ralek,

Sorry but I disagree with the comments you have made. First of all what you refer to as 'mystical chi powers' do exist. But we just call it chi or internal power. It is certainly not an illusion although there are conmen and women out there.

kung fu does teach people how to fight. Just one example is a police instructor in the US who practices and instructs wing chun. He did boxing and wing chun and was the title holder of the American police tournament for 10 years. If you were to tell him about his mumbo jumbo kung fu and mystical chi...it wouldn't be a good idea.

low stances in kf are sometimes just training techniques. isometrics etc. or it does have other purposes.

the other MA styles you mentioned are pretty good. all with their advantages and disadvantages.

grappling and arts like BJJ are great. Your comments remind me of an article i once read. a friend of Sifu Chan Cheuk Fai in Jin Wu Koon n Sydney said that he could kill him if they fought on the ground. But Sifu Chan said something along the lines of you will have to get me on the ground first. i would kill you before that.

:) cheers

Srluntyde2
09-13-2001, 10:04 AM
I didn't explain myself very well. Yes, you are right, the tech should be done fast in the core sets, but I am explaining that the core sets can be done slow, which allows the student to look at this breath, and movements. There is no point doing the techinques fast, if you are going to do them wrong. Besides, the body naturally remembers more if done slow. But ultimitly, Yes, the body should strike like a rock at the end of a rope. It took me awhile to get shaolin 6 down, and when I thought I had it down, I find out, I haven't even began to truly grasp it.
Well that is my 2 cents, and thanks for the tip Subitai

beiquan
09-13-2001, 08:02 PM
In Northern Shaolin style there is the song of the "eight methods" which describes the attributes which a practitioner should exemplify. these are:

fists like shooting stars
eyes like lightning
waist like a snake
root the feet as if they are glued down
energy (jing) must fill the body
breath (qi) must be long and heavy(sinking)
force (li) must be issued smoothly
skill (gong) must be pursued to the highest level

these requirements encompass both external and internal elements; Northern Shaolin seeks to harmonize the internal and external.
if you're asking specifically about qigong sets, that probably depends on the school.