PDA

View Full Version : Ways To Train Wrist Strength

Shuul Vis
05-21-2003, 12:26 AM
Basically im looking for ways to train wrist strength, both with wieghts and without and also some progressions on those training methods. Thanks for any info in advance.

Robinf
05-21-2003, 06:37 AM
Pushups on your knuckles with palms facing in (or you can use pushup stands--still palms facing in. Good for developing basic stabalization.

I'll think up some more, but hopefully others will chime in.

Water Dragon
05-21-2003, 08:33 AM
What type of wrist strength? Grabbing or punching?

Shuul Vis
05-21-2003, 10:44 AM
im interested in mostly grabbing wrist strength as in control of a limb once i grab it.

vingtsunstudent
05-21-2003, 11:04 AM
clubbells will definetly help with anything to do with your grip, not to mention work your shoulders through ranges of motions you will also be thankful for.

check out r-max.tv or do a search for scott sonnon to find out more about them.

vts

Black Jack
05-21-2003, 11:23 AM
Forearm Roller- a dole with a rope that is attached to free-weights. My fave.

Dumbells- Forearm extensions and curls, wrist twists, hammer curls.

Big Bar Curls- Like a barbell but twice as thick like a cam shaft.

Kettlebell Flips- This is a taken from the russian kettlebell methods and it combines forearm impact conditioning with ballistic wrist strength. Get a kettlebell and using your wrist flip it so it lands hard on your top forearm muscle. Repeat at a fast rate.

Hope this helps.

Shaolin-Do
05-21-2003, 11:41 AM
wrist push ups (back of your palms w/fingers facing the middle)
Doing bo staff forms with a heavy ass rod helps quite a bit too.
(mines like 25 lbs)
Iron cross - basically an iron T, you hold the top of the T with the bottom sticking between your middle knuckles, balance on them and do pushups.

Basic Iron cross. the top part would go in your hand, the bottom would protrude between your middle and ring fingers.

Shaolin-Do
05-21-2003, 11:42 AM
I f*ckin hate the editing on this forum.

Lung Hu Pai
05-21-2003, 01:07 PM
plate curls are a good wrist strengthener and a personal fave.

WinterPalm
05-21-2003, 01:37 PM
Leverage bar.
Grab a dumbell with weight only on one end and do wrist curls inward and outward while balancing your forearm on your leg.

COC.
Check this guys stuff, he is insane!!

http://www.ironmind.com/griptip.shtml

Water Dragon
05-21-2003, 06:57 PM
Go back a few pages and check out the "My strength training routine" thread I wrote. Most of that thread is devoted to traditional SC body strengthening. One of the major goals is, yup you guessed it, building a hellified grip so you can throw someone with it. Also, you can get a 10 foot staff and rotate it in big circles using one hand.

Ask your teacher about SC brick pushing. He should be able to give you more than enough exercises and probably help you establish a routine depending on your particular goals.