PDA

View Full Version : Teaching in USA

Adam R
05-21-2003, 01:45 AM
A question to any and all.

I am moving to the US soon to teach WC.

I have heard a lot of talk about the lack of good teachers on the West Coast of the US.

Hyperthetically, If you were me.

Where would you go.

OdderMensch
05-21-2003, 02:20 AM
As far from Texas as possible.

anerlich
05-21-2003, 04:16 AM
To San Diego on June 8 (thread below) to see whether you or the people you've been listening to actually know anything about what WC on the West Coast is really like.

hunt1
05-21-2003, 05:15 AM
Adam I assume you are serious about your intentions. Although your post has the ring of a joke. Someone has been feeding you some bull manure. If I were to guess and you really intend to earn a living teaching wing chun then your best bet would be Kansas or a state similiar. As for the west coast you will be hard pressed to find an area without a good wing chun teacher.

Adam R
05-21-2003, 07:19 AM
Thankyou for the reply's.

This is no joke at all. All imfornation is second hand news unless you are actually there. So which part of the west coast are we referring to when it comes to having too many WC Instructors.

L.A. San Fran... Etc.

Adam R

yuanfen
05-21-2003, 08:26 AM
As far from Texas as possible

((That would rule New Mexico out- besides it has some good people there in Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Also note Alduous Huxley in the Brave New World....poor New Mexico...so far from heaven and so close to Texas!!))

Spokane Washington!

((What?? Who would want to live there... been there done that))

((Arizona, California? Nah. Nah, nah. Enough of the good, the bad and the ugly.

Montana- where the deer and the Antelope play?

North to Alaska- I would say.... some folks may need the chi sao to keep from freezing))

KingMonkey
05-21-2003, 08:33 AM
The most important thing is ratio of potential students to instructors not necessarily avoiding areas where other people are already teaching.
If I were you I'd pick the 10 biggest US cities, find out how many WC schools there are in each and go to the one with the least coverage.

aelward
05-21-2003, 08:58 AM
Perhaps you have already looked, but if not, check out http://www.wingchun.org for their school listing. Maybe get an idea of how concentrated WC schools are.

aelward
05-21-2003, 09:15 AM
Practically speaking, are you coming here JUST to teach Wing Chun? Or do you have other business in the United States? Are you a United States citizen?

If you are NOT an American citizen, then you will have a hard time getting a visa to come. Things are geting more difficult in the post 9-11 world, though they might be more lenient on Aussies. Regardless, you will probably need a very good immigration lawyer and an excellent track record as a martial arts teacher in order to get a resident visa.

As for the west coast, it generally tends to be more expensive than other parts of the United States; in order to make a living off teaching Wing Chun, you will have to find an unsaturated market and be able to market yourself very well. Even then, I would not expect it to be easy.

Of course, if you are independently wealthy, it tends to solve your financial problems pretty quickly.

BetaSao
05-21-2003, 05:23 PM
Adam:

You need to check the source where you got the info from. California, both north and south, have quite a few quality Wing Chun instructors, both direct students of Yip Man as well as the next generation, and downwards, and so on. Furthermore, you also have the pick of whether they had received their training here in the US, in China, or overseas. Hence, you are looking at information that is either totally incorrect, or extremely biased.

I agree with one of the earlier responses... if you are here to teach full-time, then you will want to check out some of the midwest states where Wing Chun is not as prominent. There, with some of your own promotion, you will be able to start a potentially successful school there and minimize the competition impact with other existing schools. However, if you are only thinking about teaching as a hobby or part-time, then pretty much anywhere should be in your scope. After all, if you are a good teacher, you will always find students who will want to learn from you.

Now, making enough money is another story, and California is one of the most expensive places to live in the US. So you will need to take that into consideration as well.

Hope that helps.

John Weiland
05-22-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Adam R
A question to any and all.

I am moving to the US soon to teach WC.

I have heard a lot of talk about the lack of good teachers on the West Coast of the US.

Hyperthetically, If you were me.

Where would you go.
Why do you want to teach Wing Chun?

Regards,

rubthebuddha
05-23-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by yuanfen
Spokane Washington!

((What?? Who would want to live there... been there done that))

joy -- spokane (affectionately called "the can") is just sad because it realized it wasn't on the west side of the mountains. talk about a blow to the ego. :(

;)

yuanfen
05-23-2003, 11:03 AM
Rubthe buddha- I understand-in happy wandering days--(a long time ago)
have been to both sides of the mountains..canning in Ellensburg
and Dayton...farm work near Walla Walla, canning again in Kent,
golfclub(Inglewood CC) bartending in Bothell way Seattle... "sporting" activity in Dayton and Seattle.

Then in the late eighties wasa guest in army firepower demos at Ft...wood? Big booms.Tried to figure out the wing chun scene- not much there then. Some hung gar in Seattle (Leong?).

I understand there is more wc these days. But nowhere near Arizona and California in volume of wc anyway???