PDA

View Full Version : Joints

bodhitree
05-21-2003, 05:19 AM
Does anyone use glucosamine or anything else to prvent joint injuries. Asides from qigong, are there any other exercises to protect joints and tendons?
Thanks

Ford Prefect
05-21-2003, 05:31 AM
I've tried it when I was doing bjj because my joints would get hyperextended a lot. It didn't work too well. I like to do the old fashioned lifting heavy weights to strenthen my connective tissue and the muscle around it.

bodhitree
05-21-2003, 05:37 AM
Ford Perfect
Thanks for the reply, but what is bjj.

Ford Prefect
05-21-2003, 07:05 AM
Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. You know the Gracie/Ultimate Fighting/submission grappling stuff. It was hell on the joints.

bodhitree
05-22-2003, 06:54 AM
Thank you for releiving me of my ignorance!

bodhitree
05-27-2003, 07:59 AM
Anybody else?

sticky fingers
05-27-2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by bodhitree
Anybody else?

yeah, I didn't know what BJJ was either

Shaolin-Do
05-28-2003, 09:02 AM
I just came cause it said joints. :)
joints make your joints feel better, I know that much. :)

Becca
05-28-2003, 10:51 AM
I read somewere that jello is good for joints and cartlidge health. Don't know if it's true or not, but it's not that hard to eat it every few days and it tastes good.;) I have noticed that it has made my hair and finger nails stronger, though.

Judge Pen
05-28-2003, 11:31 AM
I take glucosamine and condritin (sp) for joints, but since I haven't had any problems, I don't know if its effective or not. I also do qi gong/I ching type exercises for tendons but again I can only speculate that it works in the absence of a problem.

bodhitree
05-29-2003, 05:38 AM
Are Lecathin, glucosomine found in any foods? Thank you for the replies!

ElPietro
05-29-2003, 06:35 AM
Stuff like glucosamine are difficult to tell their how well they are working because I believe you need to use it for quite a prolonged period of time before it starts working. It's more of a daily defense type supp, for chronic problems.

Drinking water is important to preserve your joint integrity, and of course, heavy lifting can really help strength the connective tissues and muscles that surround your joints.

If you tweak something, you'd probably be better off just taking ibuprofen, or whatever anti-inflammatory you use.

bodhitree
05-29-2003, 07:41 AM
I don't have any joint problems, I just want to keep it that way in the midst of intense workouts!

sweaty_dog
05-29-2003, 09:04 AM
Glucosamine and Chondroitin are one of the few supplements proven to reduce joint pain. That doesn't mean they'll work for you, or actually strengthen connective tissue although that is probably how they work. I think they can be found in shellfish and cartilage naturally. If you want to avoid joint pain and degenerative joint problems then eating plenty of fruit and veggies (especially pineapple)and fish oils and limiting rich high protein foods is supposed to be good. Personally I live on meat and processed flour, but that's just because I'm lazy.

Kempo Guy
05-29-2003, 10:19 AM
For joint-health you should work on your ROM (range of motion) using exercises that address this issue.

You may want to check into Warrior Wellness (video series by rmax.tv) or Super Joints by Pavel Tsatsouline (book and video offered at dragon door website. (www.dragondoor.com)) These tapes address joint health and recovery of your ROM specifically.

I've had chronic shoulder problems in the past and have been doing Warrior Wellness (and some other exercises) for about 8 months. My shoulders are mostly pain free and I attribute this to my daily WW routine (takes about 15 - 20 minutes).

BTW, I do not take any glucosamine, but drink about a gallon of water every day.

KG