PDA

View Full Version : Lets Talk About Targets!

Shuul Vis
05-21-2003, 08:12 AM
Sure we train myriads of punches, kickes, elbows, ect. but do we think about where we are landing those blows? Certainly we think to ourselves, "This punch is to the head." or, "This kick is to the knee." But do we consider where on the head we are striking, and how important that actually is? For example i did an elbow strike to GDA a few years back with decent power right to his upper forehead. We were doing a series of combinations and the elbow was one of the strikes which happened to be to "the head." But that was all that was taught just strike to "the head." Now i landed this blow with considerable force and i thought i really hurt him. However all it did was make a kind of funny sound and made him a bit shocked that he recieved the blow without any real damage whatsoever. Had this been a fight i would have been really discouraged by this.

In archery or any kind of marksmanship, you are taught to aim at a tiny point within the bullseye of the target. The theory being that if you miss that tiny spot you still have a good chance of hitting the bullseye because you were aiming alot tighter than what was actually needed. I think this should be applied to strikes. So think about it. When you are throwing strikes to the head for example why not aim for specific parts of the head, the smaller the better, and if that part is a sensitive "pressure point" of some kind even better still.

So to respond to this topic lets hear what targets you can and do actually go for that your know are effective and maybe share some experiences similar to mine. Or you may talk about anytime that you got to pet a bear. Bears are like big dogs and very friendly.

Oso
05-21-2003, 08:37 AM
Head Shots

Temple is the obvious one.

Jaw joint, better with conditioned bare knuckles but dang that's a pretty painful area to be hit in. Last night at jujitsu we were using the shin bone to grind into the joint while applying an armlock.

Occipital bone: round punches, hammers from above if they are lower than you.

Sinus Cavity: Between the cheekbone and nose. light layer of bone that cracks pretty easily. again, bare knuckles of a conditioned hand.

The nose itself but mainly to reduce vision.

IF you have a good, conditioned single or double knuckle fist then striking in the center of the upper lip or in the cleft of the chin is pretty painfull. Obviously you have to be very accurate as well.

Shuul Vis
05-21-2003, 10:44 AM
thanks for a response.

Golden Arms
05-21-2003, 11:21 AM
Eyebrow/Right above the eyebrow area. Tears very easily, and gets the blood flowing fast into the eyes...Works like a charm...

Former castleva
05-21-2003, 11:30 AM
"Or you may talk about anytime that you got to pet a bear. Bears are like big dogs and very friendly."
Hamsters are like small bears,wanna hear?

Sorry,I prefer not to participate in these kinds of threads in these kinds of days but I´m sure www won´t be holding anything back.

shaolin kungfu
05-21-2003, 11:31 AM
I'm lost:confused:

Shaolin-Do
05-21-2003, 11:32 AM
Most the good ones have been covered....
Right below/behind either ear is good too.
Best for knockout as far as Ive seen tho, is the one in the bottom corner of your jaw.
If you really want the ko tho, knock the air out of them first, the most any face shot with good power will be enough.

Oso
05-21-2003, 11:37 AM
cr ap missed the bit about bears...

never petted one but saw a couple in Montana in '99.

I almost petted a baby grizzly at a mall 2 years ago but it looked so sad I wanted to beat up the handler and steal the bear...

bears are sweet and flip out way better than stupid ninjas

SLC
05-21-2003, 01:38 PM
I think the point that was intended is what care do you take when striking to hit what should be hit... not whether you are able to recite good places to strike.

Translated back to archery, the above answers would be "It is best to hit the very center of the target." But just SAYING that, does not put an arrow in the center of the target... if when you shoot... you just aim at the whole target (or center of mass).

Our school, for instance does NOT spend much time on learning precise targeting. We just do basically Jodan, Chudan, Gaedan (high, middle and low). We should be more specific, though. I don't see any difference in not needing target practice whether you shoot a gun, or a bow, or your fists or feet. If all you are doing is throwing a punch at that great big "shape" in front of you, rather than concentrating on specific points, thats all you will hit... that great big "shape".

Shaolin-Do
05-21-2003, 01:42 PM
Randomly throwing blows at a "shape" is going to lose you the fight, especially if they are smacking you in the face instead of attacking your shape.
Make it habitual to attack key points, and when crunch time comes, you will.

rogue
05-21-2003, 01:44 PM
For SD
Forearm or elbow to the neck or throat.
Hitting the ribs, kidneys or bladder however I can.

Shaolin-Do
05-21-2003, 01:48 PM
even in a fight im hella careful about hitting someone in the throat or temple... just too easy to kill people there.
Id rather break their nose and hit them in the jaw, breaking someones teeth is always good too.
:)

greendragon
05-21-2003, 03:31 PM
no killing strike points on the head.

norther practitioner
05-21-2003, 03:41 PM
I think, ankle, knee, and waist/lower abdomin with most kicks....
punches/hand strikes go to whatever the open target is.

Becca
05-21-2003, 06:27 PM
Kideny shot for most kicks, elbow or bear claw to the floter ribs and kidenies if they are too close to kick. Or you can poke'em in the eye.:D

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-22-2003, 12:22 PM
the bear thing is actually a story i posted on here a while back about the time me and a couple friends went to pet tigers and what not .... shuul was one of those friends.

when the circus comes to town in wheeling wv, they leave the animals in their cages outside the fu cking civic center all night. so we'd go back there around 3 in the morning to pet the animals.

the tigers, elephants, and bears were all there for the pettin. the elephents were friendly enough until my friend blew a kazzoo in its ear. at that point it swung at shawn with his trunk and you could tell it wanted to stomp him to death. no were werent 10 ... it was about 4 or 5 years back ... shawn just happened to have a kazzoo. one of the reasons why shuul and i love shawn. the elephant was still cool with me and shuul though.

the bears fu cking rocked. they let you pet them under the chin and behind the ear and everything. i was a little nervous about reaching in the cage at first, but they aleviated that by coming right up to it so i really didnt have to very far. shawn also made an enemy of one of the bears by blowing the kazzoo in his ear while it was sleeping. they truly were like big fu ckin dogs.

the tigers on the other hand .... you couldnt fu ck around with them. the only way to pet them was to catch one sleeping with its back pressed up against cage and reach in and out as fast as you could. so i guess we really didnt pet the tigers, but we did touch them. i even touched one on the head .... pretty ballsy when your 18 i guess. as soon as you touched them they spun around as fast as they could in their cages and just stared at you and started pacing the small amount of room they had. they didnt look mad ... they didnt look enraged ... they simply looked like they wanted to paint the black top with a mural of human carnage ... plain and simple. nothing like looking into the eyes of tiger who wants to fu cking rip you piece from piece. it was fu cking intense. they were also not fond of shawn's kazzoo.

there were trailers all over the place that i assumed had circus staff in them, but not so much as a light lit up the entire time. either we didnt wake them or they were silently watching us and taking bets on who would lose an arm first. in barney and baileys defence the entire parking lot was heavily secured with **** near impassible yellow tape.

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-23-2003, 10:40 AM
i thought it was a good story anyway.

JusticeZero
05-23-2003, 04:13 PM
Center of eyes, tip of nose, breastbone, floating ribs, diafraghm, groin. On several occasions i've been dissapointed by people throwing crescent kicks as my ass and thinking that it had the slightest bit of meaning. Really it doesn't, especially if I have a three or four point base at that moment.