PDA

View Full Version : dont let your mind overcome your body

inic
05-21-2003, 02:36 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I realized that my mind puts limits on my body... like today, i was running for about 20 min, then stopped for a lil big. Then i thought "wtf am i doing, i can run faster and harder than this, so stop ****ing around Nic and get going!" I ran another 20 min at 80-85% and got a nice burn from it. Later I did pullups. Now i usually do 6-7 sets of 15. on my 3rd set i got to 10, and i stopped, and again, I yelled at myself to stop acting like thats all i can do when i can really do more.
case in point. For me personally, i constantly get a thought of "i cant do anymore" "i cant lift that much" "i'm tired" "I did enough for today"
and i think anyone who trains gets these thoughts. I'm just encouraging everyone to fight whenever you get a thought like this. The body can do a lot more than people give it credit for. Just encouraging everyone to really push hard and don't let your mind dictate what you can really do..... because it's more than you think.

people say i overtrain, and maybe i do, but in my eyes, i just push myself as hard as i can. I think this shows in my speedy results. I mean who goes from doing only 5 handstand pushups to doing 25 in only 2 weeks? Or curling 50 lbs 8x when you could only curl 30 lbs 10x 2 weeks ago... I think anyone can if they push themselves hard enough.
When i run, i ask myself "if someone was chasing me with a gun, or someone grabbed my wallet and was running away with it, how fast would i be running? Am i running that fast now?"

Train hard!

rubthebuddha
05-21-2003, 10:41 PM
my sisok tells us this:

when the mind quits, the body stands up. when the body quits, the mind sits down.

or something like that. think of it this way -- when you DECIDE you're done, you stand up, stretch out a little, and move on. when you really ARE DONE, you fall over and realize that wow, you just went balls out until you gave. there's a marked difference between the two, and most people lean toward the former when they work out -- especially in cardio. the voice of fatigue is louder than the voice of discipline. a major goal is to teach discipline how to shout fatigue down.

IronFist
05-21-2003, 10:51 PM
When i run, i ask myself "if someone was chasing me with a gun, or someone grabbed my wallet and was running away with it, how fast would i be running? Am i running that fast now?"

Dude I hope you don't burn out your nervous system...

...not really sure if that's possible :D

IronFist

Serpent
05-21-2003, 11:06 PM
I think he'll just implode one day. We'll be sitting around, checking out KFO, and we'll hear this *POP* followed by a quick rush of air filling a vacuum.

"Oh well," we'll say, "there goes Inic."

Laughing Cow
05-21-2003, 11:14 PM
His nervous system might last, but can the same thing be said for his joints and similar parts?

:(

Kinda reminds me of a friend, kept saying he could take the stress at work.
Woke up one morning bleeding from nose and ears, Doc put him on compulsory leave for 4 months, special diet, etc.

Repulsive Monkey
05-22-2003, 09:03 AM
Over excercising will definitely bring about jopint and ligament depreciation, so slow down.

Plus I find it a touch ironic when you're complaining about the limits of your mind but then it's your mind telling you push yourself further!!! I think you're a little bit confused in that this is all just the mind still. All you're doing is registering the effects of what exercise you have done and then forcing yourself to go against the warning signals that your body has shown you and push yourself into overdrive, which to be honest, is a pretty lame thing to do.
Effective exercise is overbearing its consistent and within the parameters of the body's requirements. One can increases ones training too but still at a rate where it doesn't actually start to damage the body.

Royal Dragon
05-22-2003, 10:40 AM
I used to train like that when I was younger, now if I decide I've had enough, I stop. Instead of going 110%, I try not to exceed 85-90% I find I need less recoverytime, and I train more days a week that way. My mind is DEFENTLY capable of pushing my body to the breaking point and beyond. Learning to hold back, and pull the reins in on myself is now the order of the day. If I don't I'll over train every time.

When I first started, I used to push with everything I had, because It was hard to push myself, but as time goes on the mind gets very strong, and soon pushing yourself to the utmost limit becomes as natural as eating chips, you almost can't help yourself. At this point, you become a danger to yourself because it is so easy to really over do it. It becomes time to learn how to hold back, and not let yourself get caught up in the mental push to go beyond your limits. It's just too easy to really over do it and hurt yourself.

A beginner can't push hard enough, the advanced can't hold back enough. In the end, whether your trying hard to beat your limits, or trying hard not to go beyond them, you end up getting what you need, the middle ground.

Robinf
05-22-2003, 11:03 AM
My mind stops me from things.

In particular a kip up and a certain jump/spin kick that conciously I know I can do, but something is stopping me. Driving me nuts!

Serpent
05-22-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Robinf
My mind stops me from things.

In particular a kip up and a certain jump/spin kick that conciously I know I can do, but something is stopping me. Driving me nuts!

Try surprising yourself. Just do it.

Robinf
05-23-2003, 06:20 AM
How do I surprise myself into a kipup?

Guile
05-23-2003, 08:05 AM
Have someone beat you everytime you dont make it.

JK
:D

Robinf
05-23-2003, 08:31 AM
:mad:

:p

rubthebuddha
05-23-2003, 09:39 AM
just try it at random times when you're really not expecting it, preferably when people aren't looking. ;)

Robinf
05-23-2003, 11:10 AM
My problem is I can't seem to land my feet right. I can get off the floor, but I don't know how to plant my feet.

I think I'm strong enough to do it--I can do an iron bridge from standing without hands (down and up).

It's freaking aggrevating.

That jump spinning kick is one where your body is parallel to the floor. I know that's totally in my head--for fear of falling on it. One of these days I'll just close my eyes and do it.

But the kip up is :mad: grrrr

inic
05-23-2003, 11:59 AM
whats a kip up?

my mental block is doing a back flip or back hand spring.... i know i can do it. but like Robin, i'm just scared i'm gonna do something wrong and look stupid/get injured

Robinf
05-23-2003, 12:43 PM
kip up is lying on your back, kick your feet out at a 45 degree angle and land on them, standing up (usually in a horse stance).

inic
05-23-2003, 12:45 PM
do you mean with hands or with out? i can do em with hands pretty easy, but without hands.... i dont see how people do that....
any tips for no hands kip up?

Guile
05-23-2003, 12:46 PM
speed.