PDA

View Full Version : Please Respond Or He'll NEVER STOP!!!

Becca
05-21-2003, 11:33 PM
Trying to combat the off topic BS Sepent is putting out right now...

Any who...

I visited an Aikido (http://www.nippon-kan.org) school troday to see if my JMA training was based on it or not. I am now very convinced it is. I am thinking about taking some classes there to brush up on what I have and maybe improve my skills. So. A few questions.

1. Should I stop referring to my experience by the style's name (Ninjitsu Kai) as there is NO ninjitsu it it and just call it "Various Aikido"?

2. My Sifu is not vary aproving of me training in both at once, but said he would not forbid it. I am happy with my studies in KF, but curious about training at a "real" Aikido dojo. What would you do in my place?

Serpent
05-21-2003, 11:35 PM
Definitely train in the other school.

Is there a website or something for your current school?

joedoe
05-21-2003, 11:37 PM
What KF are you studying?

Becca
05-21-2003, 11:44 PM
I study White Dragon Fist Style Kung Fu, and no it doesn't. I'm working on one right now, but it's not hosted yet. :D Great way to spend my vacation, yes?:D The weather here is too unstable right now to go camping, which is how I usually spend my vacations...

Serpent
05-21-2003, 11:47 PM
Wait a while for Centrino technology and you can camp and build a website.

joedoe
05-21-2003, 11:48 PM
So you do White Dragon as well as Ninjutsu?

Becca
05-22-2003, 12:03 AM
Yes. Training right now: White Dragon intermediat class T/Th. Sometimes will drop in for Wosu's killer beginner's class on Mondays. Train the "Various Aikido" from home. I haven't studied under a master in it for some years now, which is why I'm interested in takeing the classes.

See the following link for more details.

the long stoy (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22322&perpage=15&pagenumber=3)

But, as I've said, my Sifu seems very concerned by my interest in training both at the same time. (he doesn't know I already do that)

JusticeZero
05-22-2003, 08:50 AM
I would be too - it's like trying to learn Spanish and Portuguese simultaneously, something my Portuguese teacher tried to do and has had her languages muddled together and more difficult to use correctly for years and years since.
What i'd ask would be where you can find the best teacher and school. If you can locate a strong, solid teacher in an art you like, focus on that. Only do other arts if they have an area of focus so different from your usual that your normal training won't apply for it, eg: if you do a sniping striking art, it's OK to study an art that doesn't have anything to say about an altercation until you're in ranges normally reserved for your husband or wife.

Shaolin-Do
05-22-2003, 08:52 AM
you take pai lum?
How do you like it?
Ive been looking for a good dragon school here, but all of them are like 1 hour or more outside town.

Becca
05-22-2003, 09:02 AM
Justice: Thanx, I hadn't thought about it from that angle.

Serpant: There aren't many around. Some in Florida, Wisconsin, Colorado, Texas, and Calafornia. All were founded by Grand Master Daniel K. Pai in the 70s. Pai Lum, a.k.a. White Dragon Fist, is the family style for the Pai Family, formerly of China and was brought to America in 1925 or so by Po Pai, Daniel Pai's grand fauther. It is basicly Shoulin five animals, but draws heavily from Norther Okinawan Kung Fu as well.

shaolin kungfu
05-22-2003, 09:06 AM
Wouldn't something from okinawa be considered karate?

Shaolin-Do
05-22-2003, 09:11 AM
was just thinking the same thing....

white dragon isnt the only "pai lum" however... Have seen gold dragon and green dragon and ground dragon as well.
Ground dragon is style I really want to learn....

What are some characteristics of your style?
(apart from the five animal form...)
What are characteristics of the actual "Dragon" you are learning?
More emphasis on chin na submission? striking? kicking? takedowns?

Becca
05-22-2003, 09:17 AM
Forget to add that I like it alot. It doesn't exclude past MMA experience, but rather teaches one how to blend them. If I had to choose between Aikido and Pai Lum, Pai Lum wins hands down. It has more scope. And since Grand Master Pai won alot of fame as a fighter in the 50s-70s using it, it is also prooven to be effective when applied correctly. Also Love the close family atmosphere. I not only train with my brothers and sisters, but work with them, relax with them, there are alot of inter kwoon marrages, and there is no "I'm 5 ranks higher than you, pond skum!" junk. We have almost a 1-3 ration of women to men in the intermeidiat levels and aloms 50/50 in the advanced levels, so you know there is no prejudice. Were as Aikido is a higher education type atmosphere, Pai Lum is a mini comunity.

Shaolin-Do
05-22-2003, 09:19 AM
cool....
but once again,
What attacking methods/ranges does your style mainly focus on?
Maybe give a list of some forms you learn?

Becca
05-22-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Shaolin-Do
was just thinking the same thing....

white dragon isnt the only "pai lum" however... Have seen gold dragon and green dragon and ground dragon as well.
Ground dragon is style I really want to learn....

What are some characteristics of your style?
(apart from the five animal form...)
What are characteristics of the actual "Dragon" you are learning?
More emphasis on chin na submission? striking? kicking? takedowns?

Pai Lum means white dragn. There are many Lum or Lung styles, yes. The Northern Okinawan Monastry was founded by Shaolin Monks who had fled China after the Manchu dynasty overthrough the Ming dynasty in the mid 1600s.

Exerpt from "History of the Style, Pai Lum White Dragon Martial Arts Hand Book"

(Kempo is used to define Chinese martial arts simply to make things easier to understand)

"Many went to Okinawa to regroup and continue fighting the Manchus. Because Okinawa is an ideal seaport, many Kempo refugee turned to piracy in their efforts to subvert the Manchu Rule.
Since the Nature of the pirate is to travel and fight in many lands, the Kempo masters learned new fighting techniques from their enemies. One particular band of Kempo Pirates were especially successful both in battle and collection of booty, were caught in a storm at sea. With the violence of the ocean pounding their small craft, many of the masters regretted their past ways. They pledged to each other that if they survived, they would dedicate the remainder of their lives to monastic study, as had been the custom in China, prior to Manchu conquest.
Those few masters that were washed ashore, surviving the storm, built a monastary on the norther coast of Okinawa. At the monastary, they began again to practice the ways of the Kempo masters of ancient China. The style that resulted is quite unique, since it encompassed both classical and non-classical movements.
Some elements within this style are found in other styles, but few if any other styles have the overall uniqueness of the Northern Okinawan monastary Kempo."

Shaolin-Do
05-22-2003, 09:50 AM
but once again, what ranges/methods does your style emphasize? maybe give a list of forms?

Becca
05-22-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Shaolin-Do
cool....
but once again,
What attacking methods/ranges does your style mainly focus on?
Maybe give a list of some forms you learn?

No spacific "you gotta do it" attacks. Low extreme stances with non-rigid posturing, and fluidity of movement are the halmarks of the style. Some of our forms are: Flowing Motion, Flowing Water, Golden Fist, Pai Chow, Chinese Soft Fist, Three Short Forms of the Tiger, and Tiger Long Form. These are just the ones I know right off the top of my head. We also have a couple dragon forms, some crane, monkey, bear, mantis, ect... We do use one-eyed dragon fist alot, (birdy knuckle sticking out a bit) and soft fist (index finger pointing with other fingers curled at second knuckle and thumb tucked under but in line with index finger.

Becca
05-22-2003, 10:03 AM
Sorry, your posting faster than I can answer.:)

Shaolin-Do
05-22-2003, 10:05 AM
apologies.
I type hella fast, played piano for 14 years.
:)
bear eh?
never seen a bear form.
sounds cool tho
so you use mostly pheonix eye fist and secret sword?
not many sweeping techniques tho?
hmm...

Becca
05-22-2003, 10:10 AM
Sifu has indicated that some of his fellow Sifus teach it, but he prefers not to introduce it too early. Remember, I have only just started this style a year ago. Sweeping is used, but not alot untill you get to the higher ranks.

Shaolin-Do
05-22-2003, 10:15 AM
ahh.
I see....
I love sweeping people out.