PDA

View Full Version : New MA Website up, courtesy of Apoweyn

Merryprankster
05-22-2003, 09:20 AM
All,

I am proud to announce a new MA website. It's basically the sort of masturbatory, self-congratulating type stuff I swore I'd never do, but it's there all the same. Apoweyn, on the other hand, is quite in to masturbatory pastimes, so he decided to put up this website. As a penance, I promise to put up videos of me losing occasionally too.

Content is a little thin right now. We have one article Ap wrote awhile back, and my single one and only MMA fight from VA beach. Will I do more? Perhaps.

Anyway, we will try to add more content as we move along. As it is, let the traffic commence!

Merryprankster
05-22-2003, 09:21 AM
LOL, forgot the link!!!

http://home.earthlink.net/~apoweyn1/adharma_ma.htm

Merryprankster
05-22-2003, 09:22 AM
James SMASH? I can't believe you actually wrote that. *******.

Ap, next time I see you, you get a double helping of beatdown.

apoweyn
05-22-2003, 09:28 AM
Yeah. I probably should've sent you an email asking you to comment and critique it before it went live.

No, wait. I did do that.

Still, no arguing with a beatdown, I guess.

Stuart B.

shaolin kungfu
05-22-2003, 09:29 AM
LOL at james smash.:D

Which one are you in the video?

Chang Style Novice
05-22-2003, 09:29 AM
Couldn't see the video. It loaded and unzipped and then...nothing.

norther practitioner
05-22-2003, 09:30 AM
Hey, good work so far.
Like you said, a little light in the content so far, but I'm sure it will come.
Was that an ankle lock or something?

MasterKiller
05-22-2003, 09:30 AM
Impressive fight.

Suntzu
05-22-2003, 09:31 AM
Neat... when can i sample some of that world famous Irvin Thai-jitsu?

apoweyn
05-22-2003, 09:33 AM
Is anyone else having trouble with the video?

Chang Style Novice
05-22-2003, 09:34 AM
Don't sweat it on my account - I'm on this library pc, and I don't have any control over what it will and won't run.

Suntzu
05-22-2003, 09:35 AM
just finished watchin it… I hate those ankle locks… good stuff… good pq…

shaolin kungfu
05-22-2003, 09:36 AM
Good site guys. Get more content up soon.:)

Shaolin-Do
05-22-2003, 09:40 AM
dont have winzip on this pc :(

Merryprankster
05-22-2003, 09:45 AM
I'm the guy in the blue shorts who won. It was an ankle lock. I'm pretty good at them, but don't use them as often as I should. Incidentally, I keep noticing that I screwed up my shot and should have passed guard :D

Sun, you can sample some of it soonish. I'm thinking about heading over to 3rd power for another beatdown session soonish.

Merryprankster
05-22-2003, 09:46 AM
What's a pq, Sun Tzu? Is that wierd Shaolin terminology? :)

Suntzu
05-22-2003, 09:49 AM
picture quality… I believe it's taoist… u know up in the mountains… u gotta have satalite… pq is very important…
and soonish is cool wit me…

Taomonkey
05-22-2003, 09:58 AM
Nice interview with Cacoy!

apoweyn
05-22-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Taomonkey
Nice interview with Cacoy!

Thanks Taomonkey.

Black Jack
05-22-2003, 10:24 AM
Nice article with Cacoy Ap.

What is your direction for the site, mma, a mix, any certain direction?

rogue
05-22-2003, 10:31 AM
Royce would choke you out!:D

Ap is a ninja?:eek:

apoweyn
05-22-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Black Jack
Nice article with Cacoy Ap.

What is your direction for the site, mma, a mix, any certain direction?

Thanks Black Jack.

No real direction. I suppose it's more like a clearinghouse. James and I don't share the same perspective on everything (though clearly we agree on many things). So the site will probably be a bit split personality as well. We don't really have grandiose plans for it. Just to put things up in some ordered way so people can see what they think of them.

So no. No agenda. Just thoughts.

Thought we might hit up some other people to contribute as well. Get some other perspectives. See what evolves.

Stuart B.

fa_jing
05-22-2003, 10:36 AM
Good work!!!

:)

My stuff should be ready to go up in about a month.

Merryprankster
05-22-2003, 10:38 AM
Ap and I are seperate personalities in the same body. We argue constantly.

Ok, I made that up. Actually, we agree on more than we used to. He has mitigated my views to some extent. Quite frankly, his thoughts were emminently more reasonable than mine.

apoweyn
05-22-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by rogue
Royce would choke you out!:D

Ap is a ninja?:eek:

Nah. Last time I tried to wail on the guitar, I nearly put an eye out.

I'm guessing that's a reference to Sensei Joe Singleton, yeah? He was a kickboxing coach for me. Never tried a single day of ninjutsu myself. He's an amazing guy, Joe. Been in a wheelchair ever since a bad accident. Olympic powerlifter. Lecturer in the inner city schools in DC.

Good guy.

Stuart B.

apoweyn
05-22-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Merryprankster Actually, we agree on more than we used to. He has mitigated my views to some extent. Quite frankly, his thoughts were emminently more reasonable than mine.

I doubt anyone here is going to believe that. :)

Water Dragon
05-22-2003, 10:49 AM
Jim, are those cauliflower ears you're sporting in that pic?

Merryprankster
05-22-2003, 10:59 AM
Nah. My ears are pretty non-cauliflowery. I did have to get my left one drained. But I mean SLICED open and drained. But I don't have 'em.

Surely you aggressive KF guys have comments on the fight? :) I'm baiting you yeah, but I'm also genuinely curious.

Water Dragon
05-22-2003, 11:02 AM
I can't see video from work. I'll check it out tonight and let you know. But you gotta check out the SC vids. Just for you, I requested some tournament footage. I want to get your opinion on my art as well :)

MasterKiller
05-22-2003, 11:04 AM
Do you know what the background is on the other guy in the video? He didn't seem to be grappling you the same way you were him. Was he a striker?

Merryprankster
Sweet! I'd love to see it. Where can I find it?

Suntzu
Surely you aggressive KF guys have comments on the fight? GnP!!!GnP!!!GnP!!!
But you gotta check out the SC vids. where??

Merryprankster
05-22-2003, 11:07 AM
SunTzu, it's funny you should say that, I would GnP now, but I was very focused on maintaining my position in that fight. The reason is that I was not comfortable guard passing just then. I had just made it to purple and made it there on the strength of my guard. My guard passing was bad and my no gi passing was worse. I look at it now and see so many openings!

Water Dragon
05-22-2003, 11:08 AM
Check out the "Chang Dung Shen Clips" thread on this forum. When yo get to emptyflower, go to the "Old Masters Performance" thread. There seems to be some sort of problem with server now, so it's hit or miss if you can get in.

I'm probably gonna host the SC clips on the Yahoo list. So we'll see what happens.

norther practitioner
05-22-2003, 11:08 AM
GnP!!!GnP!!!GnP!!!
Yeah, I was surprised you didn't try to throw a few strikes in too when you got him down, but if you were going for that ankle lock I guess I can see what was going through you head.

Merryprankster
05-22-2003, 11:12 AM
Actually, what I was thinking was "If this guy gets back up, I'll have to take him down again. **** it, I'm going for the ankle."

apoweyn
05-22-2003, 11:28 AM
As a preview of coming attractions (I hope), I know MP has some more videos in store. And I've got some video footage of my frankly abyssmal 'win' at a WEKAF stickfighting tournament in San Francisco circa 1991(?) And my subsequent demolishing by the number 2-ranked stickfighter at the time. Gah.

Also, for your viewing amusement (and believe me, you'll be amused), segments of my black sash test for Doce Pares eskrima. (Yes, my school had a ranking system. Roll with it.) This was about 10 years ago. So I looked rather more like a stop sign than I do now.

Anyway, in the near future, I hope.

Stuart B.

Golden Arms
05-22-2003, 12:41 PM
I liked the fight, good one MP. Questions..what was and was not allowed (IE: elbows,knees, headbutts, standing and on the ground, etc.) Also, I watched that opening part over and over, and you handled that opening hit he went for quite well, but why didnt he sprawl or get his hips and legs back from you? I guess that part I will never know :) Good fight.

Christopher M
05-22-2003, 12:48 PM
Great article and vid, guys. Thanks.

MP - When you keep turning your hips to your left and his left knee drops, it looks like you can pass there, but I can't see what's going on on the other side. Is that you going for his right leg, and he's dropping his left leg to shift his weight and try and stop you?

yenhoi
05-22-2003, 02:31 PM
All I see is a couple of pagans rolling around on the ground..............

:cool:

Neat site. Get rid of the pagan and it will be a cool site....

:eek:

Grabula
05-22-2003, 03:24 PM
I think if the guy would have gone for a neck break when you went for his leg he would have one. Maybe an eye gouge when you forced him onto his back would have worked as well.

Merryprankster
05-22-2003, 03:58 PM
Golden Arms: I'm not sure what the rules were. I didn't bother going to the rules meeting. So, I can't really tell you. Sorry. LOL!

As for what happened at the opening, he was primarily a striker--but that's ok, I'm primarily a grappler. I was just better at what I did than he did--now, that said, why didn't he sprawl? Since I slipped and shot in I got in pretty deep under his punch. I was IN-in, not just yee hah, I got his leg. A sprawl still would have been better. Hopefully, it demonstrates how silly it is to try and whack somebody when you are getting taken down. (notice the flurry he tries to unload on my head as I am coming through to lift and drop him.)

Chris M--there were a billion opportunities to pass. The problem is that I had really just made it to Purple on the strength of my guard alone, and my No Gi passing was dreadful.

Grabula, I hope you're joking, but whatever works for you, man.

Grabula
05-22-2003, 04:00 PM
merryprankster - just a hint brother, those answers you and I have seen before on this forum, several times in fact....I did some experimenting with some kung fu and some grappling a while back and found your a wiser man then some might guess ;) Nice webpage you and Ap have by the way, can't wait to see more videos.

Oso
05-22-2003, 04:37 PM
nice site and win.

finally got home to dl the vid, it was too slow at work:rolleyes:

Shadowboxer
05-22-2003, 05:03 PM
I like the site, nice use of white space ;) . Will you guys PM me and let me know the specs on the video. Fa-jing has asked me to edit some of his stuff and your video loaded up nice and quick on my T1 line here at work. Nice fight - took him out in about a minute (Jason Scott Lee style :D )

BTW, I think you were noticeably quicker when I met you at Grappler's Quest last year compared to this fight.

Cheers!

-Shadow

Xebsball
05-22-2003, 05:06 PM
havent seen the vid yet - yeah i know you makin fun of my 56k connection :mad: :mad:

but you guys could put some tight mad sharp theories on life and stuff like i will do on my site, its awwsume and will have all my theorys, just wait, its awwsume :)

Water Dragon
05-22-2003, 08:01 PM
OK Jim, I got to see the clip. First off, much props to you for having the juevos to get in the ring, and congratulations on the win! good stuff.

Now for my critique. Remember, I know how tough it is to walk in there, so this is just a "here's what I saw that maybe you could work on for next time."

1. Nice shot, but where's the penetration step? You coulda got mauled if the guy sprawled on you. try for a little more forward momentum to get him moving backward as you take the leg.
2. When you first end up in his guard, it looks like you had a nice chance to start passing. Your left leg looks like it was positioned ao that you coulda got mount (or at least ended up in half guard) pretty easily.
3. Excellant control of the head on the stand up! You kept him down so that he couldn't gain any leverage. It looke like you could have been a little tighter on him. Why didn't you go for a standing pass? If you stayed tighter, I don't hink he would have been able to get his feet in your hips for those kicks.
4. Nice ankle lock! I doubt a lot of people here understand exactly how nasty (and how quick) the tech can be. Work on your set up and control though. It took you too much time to set the lock. He had another opportunity to thrash you there.

Well that's my arm chair critique. In reality, you did real good and I know full well I would be your byatch on the ground. Thanks for sharing the clip with us.

Xebsball
05-22-2003, 08:06 PM
i seen it too now yo

MerryDude
actually and precisely the first guard pass i learned is something very close to what you were gonna do or forgot to do or didnt wanna do in there.
you need to train more dude :D

i agree with point 1 of Water, cos i seen Vanderlei Silva totally spank dudes on stuff like that by catching their timing before/after takedown/sprawl

apoweyn
05-22-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Shadowboxer
I like the site, nice use of white space ;) . Will you guys PM me and let me know the specs on the video. Fa-jing has asked me to edit some of his stuff and your video loaded up nice and quick on my T1 line here at work. Nice fight - took him out in about a minute (Jason Scott Lee style :D )

Thanks. I was concerned that the design was a bit dull. And right this moment, it really is. But I had a background in mind that I'm working on now. Still, I like the white space. I'm strictly an amateur at the web design thing. But I've been in publications long enough to at least have some opinions on such things.

Stuart B.

Xebsball
05-22-2003, 08:08 PM
oh bigger font on the site please
i know i can incrise it on my IE's stuff, but still :)

Serpent
05-22-2003, 09:17 PM
**** you grapplers! You coulda pounded the crap outta him and you locked his ankle?!

Sheesh!

Merryprankster
05-23-2003, 03:09 AM
LOL!! ALRIGHT!! ENOUGH WITH THE GUARD PASSING!!! HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY THAT MY PASSING IN GENERAL AND MY NO GI PASSING IN PARTICULAR SUCKED AT THAT POINT?!!!

ARGGHHHHH!! :D

WD,

Yup, you're more or less correct, but I disagree slightly (only slightly.) I agree that I could/should have gotten deeper, but let me tell you where the REAL problem was--the follow through. While I did get in pretty deep (never would have been able to lift him otherwise), I did NOT bring my trail leg through into a stable base. I was on both knees. Notice that I had to gather myself, come to my feet and then lift. If I had brought my trail leg through properly, then I would have turned the corner and dumped him to my right. :D

This is a nasty, nasty habit that I have been working hard to break, oddly enough, by shooting more high-crotches than straight doubles--you HAVE to follow through or you can't turn the corner.

If that's what you meant, my lack of follow through, then we are actually in total agreement. Basically, I penetrated well--I got in DEEP. In fact, if he had sprawled, as deep as I was, it would have made it EASIER--I have a trick with my hands on the knees and my shoulder in the gut that turns a guy into a teeter totter and makes it easy to dump him.

A really, really good sprawl on that double would have made me switch to something else--or get flattened :)

Merryprankster
05-23-2003, 03:32 AM
Grabula,

Would be interested in hearing your experiences, either posted or PM...

rogue
05-23-2003, 06:07 AM
MP, you need to be more aware of camera placement. Next time try to make sure the camera can see your moves more clearly. And smile more.:p

PS Nice work to both of you.

Water Dragon
05-23-2003, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by Merryprankster

If that's what you meant, my lack of follow through, then we are actually in total agreement. Basically, I penetrated well--I got in DEEP. In fact, if he had sprawled, as deep as I was, it would have made it EASIER--I have a trick with my hands on the knees and my shoulder in the gut that turns a guy into a teeter totter and makes it easy to dump him.

OK. When I think of a good double, I actually think of something very similar to what you just described. What I try to do is on my charge, I will lunge forward with my lead leg. The most important point form is that my lead foot AND knee are as far behind his posted leg as possible. Now, I'll come in using a really deep forward stance (it's a lunging step) so that about 90 % of weight plants into my front leg. I'm basically barrelling through him with my shoulder and I use my hands to "block" his legs by pulling on the back of his knees.

Thats what I meant by get in deeper. What I saw was you on both knees in front of the guy. Which WILL work if you're lifting the double. But why lift when you can hit him with your whole body on the way in?

Does that make sense at all?

And I didn't read your post on guard passing till after I posted. But don't worry. If you had any idea how many times I've heard the phrase, "Hey dumb@ss, you can't just walk into the clinch. You have to punch your way in." LOL

Water Dragon
05-23-2003, 06:52 AM
DOH! You're right. In wrestling, it's the trail leg that comes thru and posts. Sometimes I get so focused on what I do, that I forget other arts will approach their takedowns differently. Please disregard my comment on the depth of your shoot. But gosh darnit Jim! Why didn't you bring that trailing leg thru? :D

Souljah
05-23-2003, 08:23 AM
i know nothing about wrestling, but nice site anyways :D

fa_jing
05-23-2003, 09:41 AM
I just watched the part where you shoot for the double several times - and I don't think there was anyway he could have avoided it, sprawl or not. It looks like he threw a quick 1-2 that glanced off, so he didn't break your flow. On the second punch he was quite extended - his weight was moving forward or locked in place at best, he couldn't have moved his hips back at that point because of the level of commitment to the strike - basically he did something strategically that allowed you to get in with that position. Maybe he was a boxer? because it was more like a boxer's strategy. It's ok to commit to a hard punch in this fight's context, but only if it's going to land and break their flow. Better would have been for him to have tried to stiff-arm your shoulder instead of throwing that hard cross, and maintain space in order to escape your grab. Since you went down to your knees, that left you immobile so if he had maintained space, that would have opened you up to a round kick to the head, possible breaking your forearm if you tried to cover up. Of course if he had played it differently, you might have adjusted so that you didn't go to both knees - if you did have one leg under you the round kick probably would not have been a good idea, as you could explode inward off your base leg not taking the kick at full extension and probably dump him.

Anyway that's my take, good show guy!

FatherDog
05-23-2003, 11:25 AM
Great vid, MP. WD and you yourself already noted just about all the things I was noticing about it... not that I'd presume to advise you about takedowns, since I suck.:D

Was it a heel hook that you got him with, or a straight achilles? Couldn't see because of the angle.

Thanks for the viewing, and the page, both ap and MP. I'll be checking for updates.

Water Dragon
05-23-2003, 11:31 AM
Father Dog. I know what I should be doing technically, but a lot of times, my body doesn't want to listen either. That's OK. As long as we keep training and keep an open heart and mind, we will keep getting better. Who knows, maybe one of these days in about 40 years, we'll actually be the generation that the current students look up to.

Shaolin-Do
05-23-2003, 11:34 AM
Or just come to san antonio so I can beat you up.
:D

Merryprankster
05-24-2003, 08:54 PM
If I'm ever in San Antonio, you're more than welcome to try...

apoweyn
05-27-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Xebsball
oh bigger font on the site please
i know i can incrise it on my IE's stuff, but still :)

Feh. I know it violates the first rule of writing (know your audience), but large fonts drive me bonkers.

On a purely design-related note, I've made a quick update. Nothing content related, though. There's still just the two things there so far. You've been warned.

Stuart B.