PDA

View Full Version : question

Chichiri
05-23-2003, 04:06 AM
are praying mantis style and snake/serpent style very similar? Or are they totally different?
What are the main differences in these styles?

ursa major
05-23-2003, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by Chichiri
are praying mantis style and snake/serpent style very similar? Or are they totally different?
What are the main differences in these styles?

Hello Chichiri,

My exposure to Snake style is via Hung-Gar through various Canton and Hay Say Fu forms. As for PM I practice 7 Star Praying Mantis. From my vantage point I would have to say these are two very dissimilar systems, Snake and PM. Not sure where to begin discussion on the differences ?

Ok, here is what I consider to be the principal difference. The Snake that I practice does not have the notion of 'seizing' that permeates PM. It (Snake) is one of the least grapple oriented systems that I practice. PM, on the other hand and as far as I can tell, has little or no notion of the method of the Snake which according to the HG tradition is heavily dependent on speed and chi with the fingertip style striking. PM is the most grapple oriented CMA system that I practice. So from my perspective these are two polarized systems.

For example if applying Snake style one would use various methods to clear the opponent's attack/defense and deliver a crippling or fatal blow to a vital point of the body (throat, esophagous, armpit, etc). PM would use various methods to intercept the opponent's attack/defense and seizing the opponent, deliver the coup-de-grace which is often a nasty strike or throw to the pavement.

Hope this helps.
UM.

Chichiri
05-23-2003, 02:33 PM
oh i see....