PDA

View Full Version : My Current Training Routine. 'bout yours?

Ford Prefect
05-23-2003, 08:18 AM
Some of the threads about routines got me curious as to what you are all doing. I've attached a copy of my current workout plan. You will need Microsoft Excel or a program that can view Excel spreadsheets in order to view it. Please note that it is split into 4 different worksheets (micro-cycles) which will appear as tabs on the bottom of your Excel Window. 18 weeks total.

Below are quick explanations on some of the things on their. Obviously the spreadsheet was for my use only, so some things really aren't intuitive. I'm on week 4 now. After this, I have a 14 week recovery/hypertrophy mesocycle planned to let my nervous system recover from all the high intensity stuff. After that, I pick up with some more maximal work and work my way into submaximal, explosive olympic and power lifts.

Please post your workouts as well. :)

Descriptions of things:

1-10-1 Pyramid:
Pull-ups 1x; Push-ups 2x; Abs 3x
Do 1 pull-up, 2 push-ups, 3 reps on an ab exercise followed by 2 pull-ups, 4 push-ups, 6 abs, 3 pull-ups, 6 push-ups, 9 abs… all the way to 10 pull-ups and back down again. The goal is to rest as little as possible

Burpee/8-count Bodybuilder w/Ab Pyramid:
Pyramid 10-20 burpee’s (10,11, 12,…20)
Do 15 jumping jacks between each set of burpees
Pyramid 10 reps – 15 reps – 20 reps –15 reps – 10 reps of:
Flutter Kicks, Sit & Tucks, 6” Crunches w/no rest at all.
Pyramid 20-10 8-count Bodybuilders (20, 19, 18, …10)
Do 15 shuffle splits between each set of bodybuilders
Pyramid 10 reps – 15 reps – 20 reps –15 reps – 10 reps of:
Flutter Kicks, Sit & Tucks, 6” Crunches w/no rest at all.

Push-ups & Sprint Pyramid:
Pyramid 10-20 push-ups by 2’s (10, 12, 14…20)
Do 20 squats between each set of push-ups
Pyramid 20-50-70-100-120-150 Yard Sprints
Do 5 pull-ups after each sprint and rest 20 seconds
Pyramid 20-10 push-ups by 2’s (10, 12, 14…20)
Do 20 squats between each set of push-ups
Pyramid 150-120-100-70-50-20 Yard Sprints
Do 5 pull-ups after each sprint and rest 20 seconds

SEAL Abs:
Crunches x 40; Rev Crunches x 40, Left Side Crunches x 40; Right Side Crunches x 40; Flutter Kicks x 40
Do this TWICE

Any 8-6-4-2-8 Pyramid:
What this means is that you do 8 reps of the exercise, rest, do 6 reps with a heavier, rest, do 4 reps with a heavier weight, down to 2 reps. The next set after the 2 reps should be for 8-12 reps with the ORIGINAL Weight you used. For example: 8x135, 6x155, 4x175, 2x195, 10x135

The following exercise should be superset (done immediately after the previous set with no rest). The exercise you are to superset is right after the pyramid in the program and is generally marked as 1 set of 10-15 reps. (ie the last set of a bench press pyramid is followed immediately by a set of incline flies

Even week bench press and deadlifting
Every even week (2,4,6,...) I bench press one day and deadlift an other. On week two it starts as 8x2 and week 4 is 8x3; week 5 is 8x4...

I am using the same exact weight from week to week. For example:

Week 2 = 135 x 2, ... 225 x 2, 275 x 2, 315 x2
Week 4 = 135 x 3, ... 225 x 3, 275 x 3, 315 x 3

The purpose of this is to make my old 2RM my 6RM by the end of mesocycle.

Explosive Benching and Squatting

Done as explosively as possible with only 20 seconds rest between sets. I use only 50%-70% of my 1RM. Yes, this is from Westside BB as are other schemes in the program.

The goal of this program is to try to gain endurance, maximal strength, and undergo a little hypertrophy all at the same time. I've taken a few days off already because I felt myself burning out, but it seems pretty manageable as of right now.

Suntzu
05-23-2003, 08:36 AM
MON - WED (eve) - SAT (morn) >> Judo… altho I have been skipping 1 day the past couple of weeks due to just being tired/sore…

MON - WED (lunch) >> weight training… MON > upper body… WED > Legs… 5x10 on legs… 3x10 upperbody… I'm not really wooried about lbs'age… specific exercises… just tryin to get a nice (u can shoot me for this) pump… basically to prepare my body to work on MAX STRENGTH WOs... which i will start week after next...

TU - TH (early morn) >> san shou… mostly just general conditioning and techniques… combinations… bag work… moving to limited sparring next week…

FRI - SAT >> san shou… it all depends on what coach wants us to wrok on…

EDIT - oh yeah… goal is to be ond baaad mahfu(ka…

Ford Prefect
05-23-2003, 08:39 AM
Do you find much carry over from the Judo to San Shou? I liked Judo, but I found the carry over minimal to no-gi grappling. I did nail some guys at my wrestling club with osoto-gari though. ;)

Suntzu
05-23-2003, 08:53 AM
the carry over for me is the foot work… general condtioning… and getting killed by more experienced guys… some throws they/we work on… I try to fing a way to work them w/ gloves… others I toss away… I couldn't get them gi or no gi… but the entering skills... balance disruption... footwork... etc... is amazing...

conditioning wise… I'm spent after a class… plus it's specific… its 2+ hours of live resistance training… and competition...

and dealing with greens… browns and blacks… whites too… that are better than you builds your tuffness up quickly… I get sooo charged the one or 2 times that I get a brown on his back… I mean it’s a real rush… and a since of accomplishment… and that carries over... plus they know i'm competitive so they push me real hard... and i think they get a kick out of this lil skinny guy that keeps getting up off the mat...

plus its fun… a cool group of guys… the kids make me smile… but I could do w/o the gi's tho… and I'll never get the jpnese names…

Ford Prefect
05-23-2003, 09:00 AM
That's cool. I was thinking the same thing about entering and balance disruption. The latter of which is pretty key. The gi's are tough. Have you trained in the summer yet? Man, it's brutal. I can still count in japanese from my judo days... ichi, ni, san, chi, ...

There's nothing like that power you feel with a clean throw. It's almost like they are as light as a feather.

Suntzu
05-23-2003, 09:07 AM
summer? Not yet… winter? Yes :eek:

There's nothing like that power you feel with a clean throw. It's almost like they are as light as a feather. everyone there is no less than 180+… I'm 155…so I only got that 'light' feeling when its perfect… the rest of the time it's hi rep/weight squats and bends :)...

Ford Prefect
05-23-2003, 09:20 AM
I hear ya. I was only 150-155 when I was doing Judo. At 6' tall, lets just say that osoto-gari and uchi-mata were my friends...

Robinf
05-23-2003, 11:23 AM
Tues/Thurs/Sat - kung fu, run 3 miles, jump rope, tae kwon do

Wed, Sun - warm up: chin ups, unsupported leg raises (holding on to the dip bars), dips, one legged squats - 4 X 5
hold horse stance w/60 lbs on bar on shoulders 4 X 20 seconds (building on time)
leg curls/leg extension (super set) 4 X 6 both
mid row/35 lb crunch 4 X 6 / 4 X 30
lat pull/35 lb ab twist 4 X6 / 4 X 30
db rear delt row/db shoulder press 4 X 6
db chest press / db lat raise 3 X 12 / 4 X 6
db arm curls / db arm extension 3 X 12
db wrist curls 3 X 12
Cardio : swim 800 M, run 3 miles
Fri - teach cardio kickboxing using heavy bags for 50 minutes.

Mon - academic class

Typical week for me.

Ford Prefect
05-23-2003, 12:27 PM
Robin,

Can you do chin-ups without any aid? If you can, you have my respect.

Inic,

lol! I don't know if I have 4-6 free hours a week!

WinterPalm
05-23-2003, 12:38 PM
Wed, Sat kung fu class
Mon, Fri, kung fu practice involving forms and technique practice and occasionally, depending on what I feel like doing, I'll lift weights usually only deadlifts and pullups and then some grip exercises.

I also ride my bike everywhere I go.

Robinf
05-23-2003, 12:49 PM
Ford,

I do both chin ups and dips, full range of motion, without aid.

It took me 6 months of hang and yank and jump up/lower down to get to be able to do any.

I'll set up my video camera in the gym and see what I can do about posting it on the web. I tape myself every now and then to make sure my form is correct.

I can only do 6 in a row, at best, for chin ups, and 5 for dips. I'm working now to increase that by adding on sets. Once I get to 30 chin ups in a work out, then I'll go back to seeing how many I can do in one shot.

Black Jack
05-23-2003, 01:09 PM
Dips are da bomb. I do a ton of them. I guess its a habit I picked up in gymnastics back in HS.

CD Lee
05-24-2003, 12:39 PM
My workouts consist of:

Everyday - (Xingyiquan) Flexibility and warmups.
1. Standing
2. Stepping Drills
3. Whatever skill I need to work, circles, fists, forms, self defence form, etc.

Every other day, sometimes consecutive days -

PTP (using cycles of course) -
One warm up on bench with 135 (I can't start cold heavy, sorry)
Bench 2sets x 5 reps
Deadlifts (Sumo Style) - 2sets x 5 reps

Other items in my workout, not really PTP
Pullups (bodyweight 200lbs) x 6 reps (took me 2.5 months to get 'ONE'!)
Dumbell Curls using PTP form - strict and slow - One set with left and right arm.

Occasionally, I do shrugs with 285 barbell off a clean rack 6 reps, because my deadlift is only at 190 right now. 4 months ago when I started lifting, I could not even literally hold a 225 lb. bar because my grip would not hold the bar. These build great grip, because I can pick up off the rack 300+ lbs now.

Once a week - 3-4 hours competitive tennis.

Samurai Jack
05-28-2003, 10:31 AM
Monday

2 hours Aikido

Tuesday

1 hour kid's Aikido class (these are often tougher than the adult classes!)
1 hour weapons (Aiki Jodo right now)
1 hour adult's Aikido
30 min. Zazen

Wednesday

2 hours Aikido

Thursday

1 hour kid's class
1 hour adult's Aikido

Saturday

1 hour Zazen
1 hour Aikido

Weight Routine

Thursdays Power Factor training (partials)

Seated Shoulder Press 3x20 at 150% 1 rep max
Shrugs 2x20 at 200% 1 rep max
close grip Bench Press 2x20 at 150% 1 rep max
Preacher curls 2x20, 1x15 at 200% and 150% 1 rep max
weighted crunches 2x20 at 200% 1 rep max

Every ten days Static Contraction training

Deadlift
Bench Press
Lat Pulldowns
Leg Press
Toe Press

Kempo Guy
05-29-2003, 08:54 AM
For the last few of weeks my workouts have been something like this:

Monday
Morning: Five Tibetan Rites & Warrior Wellness
Evening: Ballistic Kettlebell workout (high-rep snatches/swings) and/or rope work. Ab work (Janda, Ab wheel etc.)
Independent Martial Arts training

Tuesday
Morning: Five Tibetan Rites & WW
Evening: One of Scrapper's workouts from Mod 1.
Martial Arts class

Wednesday
Evening: Ballistic Kettlebell workout &/or rope work, Ab work (Janda, Ab wheel etc.)

Thursday
Evening: One of Scrapper's workouts from Mod 1.

Friday
Evening: Ballistic Kettlebell workout &/or rope work, Ab work (Janda, Ab wheel etc.)
Martial Arts class

Saturday
Afternoon: Martial Arts class

Sunday

On my ballistic KB workouts, I try to switch the routines up on every workout. The same goes for my Mod. 1 workouts. Mod. 1 workouts include exercises such as (but not limited to): push-up pyramids, varioius push ups (hindu, diamond, divebomber etc.), pull-ups (various grips), ab-work, lunges, hindu-squats, bootstrappers, bleacher squats, reverse squats etc. etc......

On occasion, I'll go on a PTP or Bear cycle.

KG

Ford Prefect
05-29-2003, 09:36 AM
But the Tibetan's have no rights since China took over. Don't you listen to hippies?

yenhoi
06-02-2003, 02:00 PM
Ford: what was your training goal/goals with this 1 month cycle.

All your meso-cycles are labeled meso-1. I noticed it says maximal strength, does that mean raw-strength increase was the overall goal of the 4-week program? What were your results... what would you change about this particular 4-week program that would have made it better/easier/more effecient.... looking back, that is... to have achieved your goals, or achieved them better (more..?)

etc..

thanks!

:eek:

Ford Prefect
06-03-2003, 06:30 AM
yen,

It's a 17-week cycle. If you look at the bottom of your Excel screen, you'll see tabs for micro-cycle 1, microcycle 2, ... etc. I post my goals in the original post. Basically it's to increase my 1RM's, lactic acid threshold, muscular endurance, and aerobic endurance. The only thing I've change so far is lots of the long distance jogging sessions to different sprint routines because my lower body was losing some maximal strength.