PDA

View Full Version : WC Fighters in training?

InjuryProne
05-23-2003, 11:36 AM
Hi everyone!

Great board. I cannot believe the quality of posters here!

Just to introduce myself, i am a wing chun fanatic . Althoguh i have limited experience studying in TWC, i absolutely loved the style and instructors that i met in my brief stint with it. Although i currently study brazilian jiu jitsu, i hold no delusions that it is the ultimate style of anything ridiculous like that. I do bjj because of the "fun" aspect of it.

And now to my request / question ...

One thing that bothers me though is that the general public has NO idea how effective wing chun can be. And although i believe otherwise, it bothers the heck out me to see the general consensus amongst non -wing chun practioners that other arts are more effective (specifically muy thai, bjj, wrestling, etc) because they have been proven in the ring. Wing chun gets a bad rap even though i know for a fact that there were students at my old wing chun school that i would bet on against teachers of other schools in the area that teaches supposed "effective" styles.

However, it bothers me to a great extent, that logically speaking, there is no way to refute the claim! In this day and age, people want proof for there own eyes and all they have are the few videos available of wing chun losign fights! This is bad for WC! and bad for chinese arts in general.

Others have noted on the WC Fighters thread that if a wing chun practcioner trains the same way as a pro boxer, they will be just as effective. I believe this!!!

I would like to know if anybody is currently training someone or training themselves in this matter for the purpose of fighting in a ufc style event. I think that even some local NHB wins with video proof would dramatically chagne the everyday people opinion on the effectiveness of the art as well as increase business for WC. I understand that this goes against the purpose of wing chun for some, but in order to "save" wing chun i would love to see this happen.

eddie

Grabula
05-23-2003, 12:13 PM
I am not training to fight in UFC type events but I go to open sparring periodically in my area. My WC seems to hold out ok. There are areas I could vastly improve and areas where I do ok.

InjuryProne
05-23-2003, 12:21 PM
Could you elaborate on which areas you are both weak and strong on as well as your training experience? Thanks for the reply!

yenhoi
05-23-2003, 01:31 PM
One thing that bothers me though is that the general public has NO idea how effective wing chun can be. And although i believe otherwise, it bothers the heck out me to see the general consensus amongst non -wing chun practioners that other arts are more effective

Why?

How would you prove "Wing Chun's" effectiveness to random people?

If you did have a WCK fighter in some public event, what makes you think his victory speaks for anything else except himself and his hard work and time in training? It doesnt.

Why does it matter to you what random people have to say about and abstract group of training methods? What does their opinion have to do with your kung fu?

:eek:

Lindley
05-23-2003, 01:44 PM
The proper propogation of Wing Chun, like other traditional Kung Fu styles, is that the Kung Fu is dedication and adherence to a high level of character. Martial Arts is an expression of an individuals being. People who boast about their ability to be the best often times "blow their own horn" or beat up their own students. Notice that the best martial artists in the world are people who appear relaxed and humble.

The people in Wing Chun understand why they love the art and their is no intent to "sell it" to the rest of the world. Wing Chun could definintely compete in the UFC, deviated from its more traditional teaching. That individual would train more like a boxer for stamina and being hit and also be familiar with going to the ground in case they were unable to take out the opponent while standing. Wing Chun"concepts" would then be more important and applied more so than the techniques associated with the system. Remember, Wing Chun is a true combat system, not bound by rules. This is why Wing Chun engagements are not meant to be "dances" with the opponent or to "block every technique".

Good luck with your Kung Fu!

ntc
05-23-2003, 03:15 PM
Lindley:

You are right on the money with your points. Combat training is different from traditional training..... there is more ADDED, especially the physical and combative elements. The school I am from was one of the top fighting schools in Asia and China back in the sixties and seventies. Almost all the Wing Chun fighters sent out to represent our school against the other kung fu schools were undefeated. They had to undergo a very strenuous, physical, mental, painful, and intense training to prepare them for the full-combat fights, which pretty much mirrors what you said.

kj
05-23-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by yenhoi
If you did have a WCK fighter in some public event, what makes you think his victory speaks for anything else except himself and his hard work and time in training? It doesnt.

<snipped etc.>

Dang; you're good.

Regards,
- kj

ntc
05-23-2003, 03:20 PM
Yenhoi:

I agree with you totally.... the martial artist makes the art, not the other way.

InjuryProne
05-23-2003, 08:24 PM
I agree man that mma wins wouldnt' prove anything other than that its possible to win an mma event using wing chun. It doesn nothing for my training. but i feel that it is possible. But i am far from the one to do it.

As far as why i care about other poeple's opinion's, wouldn't it be great to just be like "i told you so?" :) How bout a wing chun band wagon :D

Originally posted by yenhoi
[i]

Why does it matter to you what random people have to say about and abstract group of training methods? What does their opinion have to do with your kung fu?

:eek: