PDA

View Full Version : Does chi sau and drilling translate...

Grabula
05-23-2003, 01:22 PM
to fighting? how do you know?

yenhoi
05-23-2003, 01:34 PM
No.

No training drills translate to fighting.

Chi sau trains sensitivity, one of many attributes that make up fighters.

:eek:

Grabula
05-23-2003, 01:36 PM
I should say "translate directly to" since drills and chi sau are all steps towards fighting.

I knew you would answer that way Yenhoi ;) You never let me down!

KenWingJitsu
05-23-2003, 05:30 PM
YENHOI IS DEVASTATINGLY CORRECT.

yuanfen
05-23-2003, 11:17 PM
yuenhoi/kwj-

I dont think so. The conclusion that chi sao is inferior to "sparring" etc or that it is only about "sensitivity"
involves a profound misunderstanding of chi sao- its various
types, their interrelationships and the development of maximized control in attacks and defense.

I dont expect to change your mind but important to identify quite different views and paths. (I agree that stationary poon sao is not enough- but there is so much more to chi sao than poon and luk)

KPM
05-24-2003, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by Grabula
to fighting? how do you know?

In the sense that they build attributes needed for fighting and are steps towards effective fighting....Yes! Otherwise, why would we be practicing them at all? Are they all that is needed to learn to fight effectively?....No.

Keith

AndrewS
05-24-2003, 08:58 AM
Yes.

Of course 'chi sao' and 'drilling' should involve simple starting points, rehearsed cooperatively with appropriate force and timing, practiced alone for choreography and muscle memory, then again with a partner with increasing variabilty of options and increasing force and contact, working to uncooperative practice exploring several options from a situation, first with light, then heavy contact, first with a small spectrum of variability then with all options possible, building over time.

Done properly, chi sao and drills become fighting, which then exposes the area you need more developmental work on- more drilling.

My question in turn would be 'Why doesn't your chi sao and drilling translate to fighting'?

Later,

Andrew

yuanfen
05-24-2003, 09:03 AM
Enough chi sao in variety and drilling as a prelude to fighting?

Mine does.
But I have remained in developing along the wing chun path consistently... but watching what others do.

old jong
05-24-2003, 10:00 AM
Training in kickboxing or wrestling will teach you how to fight but they will not help your Wing Chun. To be good in Wing Chun,you need to train to be high level in chi sau. Then,the results of this training will be effective in fighting.
Those who have practiced with very high level practicionners know what I mean.

russellsherry
05-26-2003, 06:08 PM
yes i think old jong is right, to a point ok chi sau intoduces us to contack, then we can jam, with bong sau in some cases. then also,from by jong we can use the chasing princable ok , we must
not think that chi sau is a fight but neither is sparring so we must keep that in mind. peace russellsherry