PDA

View Full Version : Need...food!

zen_celt
05-24-2003, 10:56 AM
I'm currently living in an Army barracks and trying to gain muscle size and strength at the same time. The problem is, I have no cooking facilities and cannot have a heat source(hot plate, hibachi...) in my room. I get three Army square meals a day which are generally not too bad in terms of health but they can be a bit on the greasy side. I do have some myoplex and a fridge filled with veggies but that's about it. I find that I get so hungry at night(our last cafeteria meal is available between 5-6:30pm) that I'm ordering pizza 2-3 times a week just to eat since tuna fish gets old after a while. I do have access to a small fridge and a microwave, can opener, and the three cafeteria meals.
Any tips/suggestioons as to how to get my nurition/caloric needs without the ability to cook?
Thanks in advance
-ZC

Becca
05-25-2003, 10:48 AM
Good late night snack = celery with peanutbutter. Do you know any one who as an oven inbase housing or off-base? Sausage-eggs are good hot, warm or cold and keep well in the fridge. And lots of protien to build bulk. Recepe is simple, as well:

1 lb sausage
1 c bread crumbs
4 hard boiled eggs, peeled.

Mix sausage and bread crumbs. Divide into 4 equal portions, then cover each egg with 1 ball of sausage mix. Bake @ 350 for 1/2 an hour. Cool on the counter then store in ziplock bag in the fridge for up to 10 days.

zen_celt
05-25-2003, 04:05 PM
Guohen-thanks for the tip. I know it gets tough in the field without enough food, Ft. Benning taught me that. I can eat a little in the chow line so I'll start doing that.

Becca, I can't believe I didn't think of the celery and PB! Thanks. I'd like to try the recipe but for the next few months I'm not allowed to go off base to anyone's house I'm in training with(Army policy) but I'll give it a shot when I'm done here and headed to my next training post. The problem is we're all stuck in the barracks with no cooking facilities and the higher ranked soldiers we train with who might have a house or access to a kitchen aren't allowed to "fraternize" with us outside of the classroom. At least Tuna comes in can.

Thanks guys

Any other tips?

-ZC

TenTigers
05-26-2003, 12:15 AM
Myoplex comes in ready to drink containers-with about 40 grams of protien. You can also buy whey protien (designer protien) and mix it in milk.

nothingness
05-26-2003, 02:49 PM
From the reading I've done peanuts are one of the most heavily pesticided crops out there. I recommend organic peanut butter or another kind of nut butter. There's also a product a personal trainer recommended called Simply Egg Whites (I think)- its egg whites in a little carton, u can blend it with skim milk, banana, +whatever else you like

Ish
05-26-2003, 03:53 PM
If you have a microwave you can cook quite a bit of food like eggs as people mentioned.

Becca
05-27-2003, 10:12 AM
I don't see cotton seed oil listed in the ingrediants of my peanut butter. And just because they didn't always monator things closely 25+ years ago doesn't meen they are that lax now. For starters, science has come a long way since then. Also, not all cancers are caused by known carcinogens, and smoking does not cause all kinds of cancer.:rolleyes: Saying that eating peanut butter will cause someone to die from cancer is like saying if you bathe more than once a week you will die of a cold.

Former castleva
05-27-2003, 10:34 AM
Guohuen,sorry.

Smoking has been linked to many a cancer,liver included.
Not directly related,but.

SaMantis
05-27-2003, 12:20 PM
Good old Phase III restrictions ... no fraternization, no movies, no off-base.

Follow guohuen's advice on the chow line and always take a bit of fruit/cereal with you.

After AIT you'll have a slightly easier time of it. At permanent duty stations you'll have more privileges in your barracks & there will most likely be a full kitchen in the building. If you're stationed overseas, the PX/commissary carries a pretty good stock & will special-order anything you ask for.

Ford Prefect
05-27-2003, 12:21 PM
Yogurt (plain) add fruit as you will.

Fat-free Cottage Cheese: Mix with protein shakes or fruit for flavor.

Fruits

Organic Peanuts/Peanut Butter

Milk

Oatmeal if you can have a microwave or if the faucet temperature gets hot enough to sufficient heat the water...

nothingness
06-02-2003, 07:20 PM
Guohen- sorry about your friend. There is a book that everyone should read called 'Diet for a Poisoned Planet." It discusses all different kinds of conventional/non-organic foods, from produce to meats, in the United States and how safe they are in regards to pesticides, antibiotics, etc... Each category is broken down into red, green, and yellow lights as far as safety. Its probably available through your local library.

Serpent
06-02-2003, 10:21 PM
Just a word on eggs. Egg white is the source of great protein and there is fat in the yolk. A lot of people use this as an excuse to eat the whites and not the yolks. This is a mistake as the yolk contains the enzymes required to assimilate the protein in the white - you need the whole egg for the whole protein. If you're concerned about the fat levels, make an omelette with 4 whites and only one or two yolks and you should be right. Also, go for the free range eggs - battery eggs have all the hormones and antibiotics in them that are pumped into the chicken.

Merryprankster
06-03-2003, 02:01 AM
Will everybody please stop worrying about what you eat killing you and just start living. Sheesh.

Becca
06-03-2003, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by Merryprankster
Will everybody please stop worrying about what you eat killing you and just start living. Sheesh.

Amen!!!

If you spend all your life worrying about getting something bad, you'd go hungry and never enjoy anything. :(

Serpent
06-03-2003, 08:58 PM
Yeah, worrying too much is pointless. So is not worrying at all.

;)

rubthebuddha
06-03-2003, 09:22 PM
so just eat until you have no room left, then eat some more. whoever explodes and makes the biggest mess, wins.

Becca
06-03-2003, 09:25 PM
I'll just sit by and eat my possably-containing-cottonseed-oil peanut butter and Heavily-pestisided celery. Oh, wait let me get my umbrella to deflect chunks and bodily fluids.:D

nothingness
06-03-2003, 10:13 PM
Will everyone please stop worrying about getting beaten up and stop learning martial arts and start living! Sheesh!

Oh, I learned something startling today, by the way. I was talking to a fellow I work with who used to raise chickens and he informed me that, contrary to popular opinion, it is in fact the white, and not the yolk, that becomes a chicken. The yolk is that which the chicken-fetus feeds on. I always thought it was the other way around. Shocking!

Merryprankster
06-04-2003, 01:10 AM
Worrying is always pointless. Life rewards action. (shamelessly lifted catchphrase and true nonetheless) People who worry aren't acting. They're sitting around fretting. **** that.