PDA

View Full Version : do martial arts make you paranoid.?

captain
05-24-2003, 11:20 AM
Or perhaps ultra aware.the more i learn about martial arts,
the more i look at people in the street and think."well,if he
did this,i would try this".or."i wont go past those guys,they
look like trouble to me".and yet before martial arts,i was
never this way.is that the double edged sword of ma's,you
learn more technique,but lose some a certain amout of
calmness.any thoughts amongst you all?

russ.

AndrewS
05-24-2003, 12:13 PM
What do you mean paranoid? You think martial arts make you paranoid? Paranoid how? Like crazy paranoid? It's not paranoid when there people like you out there calling martial artists paranoid, calling me crazy. How DARE YOU CALL ME CRAZY?? WHY DO YOU KEEP CALLING ME CRAZY??? . . . you're just like all the others, always talking about me, looking at me, laughing, waiting, just waiting until my back is turned but i have you fooled, i'm the one who's laughing now 'cos i realized i don't need to sleep so i can always watch you i'll never have to turn my back and as long as i have my dear little white pills i'll never have to sleep I HEARD THAT!!! DON"T CALL ME CRAZY!!! STOP LAUGHING!!! i know you're out to get me but i'll show you because i never have to sleep, and you're going to sleep eventually, sleeping quietly while i'm awake, like you have something to prove, laying there in your bed sleeping at me like that just like you always try to f*ck with me STOP LOOKING AT ME!!!! just sleeping there and i can't sleep, but i'll show you because i have this knife and you have to sleep so then i can come and take the sleeping part from your brain, from all your brains and it'll taste warm and it will never laugh at me. . .

Andrew

old jong
05-24-2003, 12:34 PM
No... Paranoid is when you think that everybody is against you or want to hurt you in some way. Martial arts make you KNOW that everybody wants to hurt you!...:eek:

....Who are you looking at?...:mad:

azwingchun
05-24-2003, 12:40 PM
I always tell my students that there is a fine line of being paranoid and being aware. To me paranoid represents a form of fear, and being aware is a form of confidence.

But at the same time, thinking about what you would do if this happens or that happens is actually a great tool which I think many people leave out of their training. I do this type of thing constantly on a daily basis. I believe if you just go over controlled physical applications in the classroom and don't train the mental, you have lost 80% of your training. IMHO.

I believe the mental training I have mentioned conditions your mind. I know I am not going into great detail but, I hope you get my point. I actually have a couple of stories where this type of training helped me in real life. ;)

yuanfen
05-24-2003, 01:38 PM
They say- even paranoids have real enemies-

Are you looking at me?

De Niro in Taxi driver.

yuanfen
05-24-2003, 01:40 PM
BTW- Old Jong has had to handle some problem people.

Dont stare at him too long!!

old jong
05-24-2003, 05:50 PM
...You bet!...One guy once charged on me with both his hands full of s..t !...I managed to control him without getting "dirty" but I have to admit,I felt a little "paranoid" for a few days after this incident.
For those who don't know,I work in a psychiatric hospital

rogue
05-24-2003, 06:52 PM
For those who don't know,I work in a psychiatric hospital Shhh, that's just what the people at Happy Acres tell Old Jong.

ZIM
05-24-2003, 07:17 PM
if it worries you excessively, disrupts your daily life, or keeps you awake at night, you're paranoid.

if you're sizing up situations and ppl, you're playing a mental game and being prepared. Just keep the perpective that its a mental game and your game is up!

if you're losing 'calmness' perhaps you're seing some realism you didn't see before. :eek: limits are hard, but hopefully MAs transcend limits.

FWIW

we now have proof that OJ don't take no sh!t from nobody.

yuanfen
05-24-2003, 08:30 PM
we now have proof that OJ don't take no sh!t from nobody.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Proof? how do we know that he is not one of the inmates?<G>

I have yet to meet a perfectly normal person- atleast one that was interesting.

Isnt there a little cuckoo in people all over this wide world?

Many "psychologists" I have met need more help than some of their patients.

In any case an informational non sequitur- a late cousin (will Sampson) of my late beloved wife was the big American Indian
in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's nest". The chatter there was
often more sensible than some of the noise in this forum!!

old jong
05-25-2003, 04:52 AM
I'm not an inmate!....I'm not a psychologist!...??? (oups!...got carried away here!):eek:

BTW, we have our own version of the "big indian" at my hospital the guy can make a frig fly in the air like it was nothing.Lucky for us,he doesn't aim at us! Some of these guys have good chikung!

I know Rogue hates me. :mad:

captain
05-25-2003, 06:08 AM
attempts at humor aside,i do "see" potential for violence
now,where before i would not have done so.and that is
as a result of the ma contact i have had of late.

r

reneritchie
05-25-2003, 06:16 AM
No, being human makes you paranoid. Martial arts just gives you a false sense of combative readiness for when the come to get you.

captain
05-25-2003, 06:26 AM
"fasle sense"...?perhaps i hould have said "ultra wareness"
verging on paranoid.surely some of you know what im
talking about.is rene having a sort of subtle jokette there?
[montreal stylee] or is he making comment on wck??and now,
i have two fears,..will it work???

russ

Alpha Dog
05-25-2003, 06:56 AM
My backside! They are coming and I will be ready!!

jesper
05-26-2003, 06:31 AM
Captain just for the record. Its ok to look at other people you meet as potential enemies. But you should lay of doing the what if scenarios. This is not karate.
React to what comes, take charge, stomp the MF. Thats the WT way :)

The reason many people freezes up in confrontations are because they have played these what if games. Then in real life your opponent does something completely different and your mind goes blank because it has no insta response.

kj
05-26-2003, 06:40 AM
May be a post hoc ergo proctor hoc fallacy. Some people drawn to MA are paranoid to begin with.

Regards,
- kj

yuanfen
05-26-2003, 09:12 AM
kj- yes- garbage in- garbage out!!
Any activity including wing chun can change people- but their
brains especially the ethical side has to be receptive and engaged- for that to happen constructively..

burnsypoo
05-26-2003, 11:08 AM
"the trick is to be in a constant state of departure, while always arriving".

:P

kj
05-26-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by old jong
I'm not an inmate!....I'm not a psychologist!...??? (oups!...got carried away here!):eek:

That's right. You just keep telling yourself that, OJ. ;)
- kj

old jong
05-26-2003, 11:16 AM
I knew it!...You are against me also ! ;)

yuanfen
05-26-2003, 05:53 PM
"the trick is to be in a constant state of departure, while always arriving".
-------------------------------
((I like that!))-good wing chun too
-------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by old jong
I'm not an inmate!....I'm not a psychologist!...??? (oups!...got carried away here!)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's right. You just keep telling yourself that, OJ.
- kj

old jong

I knew it!...You are against me also !

(---You know the old story---neurotics build glass houses, paranoids live in them-psychologists collect rent from both- and then
the tax man cometh.))