PDA

View Full Version : Hung Gar

PaleDragon
09-13-2001, 08:27 AM
I've started learning Kung Fu about 5 months ago...the only traditional form i know is called la gar kune...im not sure if thats spelled right...anyway, ive read a few different places that hung gar is the same as the tiger and crane style...but nowhere i've looked, either a "hung gar" or "tiger/crane" website has mentioned this form...is it known by another name? is it not actually a form just a set of moves preparing us for an actual form?

illusionfist
09-13-2001, 12:34 PM
Lau Gar Kuen is literally translated as Lau Family fist. It was incorporated into the Hung Gar curriculum some time ago. Its meant to be a fighting form and is usually taught before Gung Gee Fuk Fu Kuen or its sometimes used to fill the gap between Gung Gee and Fu Hok (Tiger/Crane). Lau Gar Kuen is a system unto itself. You can see that it once had a distinct shorthand nature to it.

Lau Gar was implemented into the Hung Gar system so that it wouldn't be lost. We also have the Lau Gar long pole set as well. Its said that Lau Gar had three forms at one time- a fist set (ala Lau Gar Kuen), a pole set (the long pole set), and a palm set. The palm set is said to have been lost. There is also some people who believe that the form called Chum Sam Jeung (heart penetrating palm) is actually the Lau Gar palm set. No one is for sure however.

Peace :D

PaleDragon
09-14-2001, 09:04 AM
Thanks alot for the information...i appreciate it very much.

-later

hasayfu
09-15-2001, 02:29 AM
Si-Gung Chiu Wai taught the Lau Gar Palm set at Lam Kwoon a few months back. It's an interesting set with 4 tornado kicks and some really nasty attacks.

It is not the same as Chin Jeung (Penetrating Palm) which is also known as War palm or Arrowhand.

illusionfist
09-15-2001, 03:52 AM
Good stuff HSF. My comments were basically made from conjecture thats been posed for a while. I'm not really knowledgeable about the Lau Gar Palm at all really, and i'm in the **** lineage, haha. I've always been told that it was lost. Did Chiu Wai sigung give you guys any history on it? I'd be interested in hearing what he said.

WongFeHung
09-16-2001, 12:57 AM
I have seen Arrow Fist and it its alot different than Chuen Som Jeong, but hen again, quite often different schools have different interpetations.

illusionfist
09-16-2001, 09:30 AM
Well i know both jin sau kuen (arrow hand) and Chum Sam Jeung. Jin Sau Kuen is just the first section in Chum Sam Jeung. Peronally i like jin sau cuz its all the fresh material. The rest of chum sam jeung is a lot like a lau gar/gung gee mix.

hasayfu
09-17-2001, 03:10 AM
Hi TenTigers,

Whose Arrowhand version have you seen? If it's Wing Lam's, our version is just various movements taken from War Palm. (Mainly from the beginning and not everything as illusionfist says) Sifu uses it as a beginners form.

Does another line have a form they can Arrowhand?

illusionfist
09-18-2001, 01:53 AM
I'd like to correct myself on something i said earlier. Chum Sam Jeung isn't really a lau gar/gung gee mix. Techniques from this form are found in those two forms, but the flavor in Chum Sam Jeung is distinctly hung gar. The faht found in Chum Sam Jeung are pretty unique when examined within the context of the form. Chum Sam Jeung has a little bit of everything in a lot of ways. I think this lends to it being a good fighting form.