PDA

View Full Version : spinning kick defences

namron
05-25-2003, 02:55 AM
Since there is a whole bunch or wing chun families out there I would be interested in hearing from people regards their defence strategies against countering spinning kick attacks (both hooking {circular} and turning side {linear}).

How many wing chun people actively train these kicks?

Do you think you need to have these kicks in your training/club syllabus in order to produce effective counters?

Do you have effective leg trapping and takedowns applied against the spinning kick?

What works the best for you in a random/sparring situation? (ie: charge, retreat and re-engage, side slipping, counter kicking)

Neurotic
05-25-2003, 08:05 AM
Just push the shoulder blades as they spin.

Doesn't matter if it's a spinning backfist/hook kick/cresent...

One of the things that makes a spinning move dangerous, is that it can end up being so many different things, and therefore has a high degree of variability. Cut out the middle man.

Just interupts the spin, and makes them plant a foot.

Presto, insta-target.

(This is of course assuming you are close enough to do it - other option, stright kick to back/rear leg, same difference).

OdderMensch
05-25-2003, 10:44 AM
probably the fastest kick I ever saw sparring was a jump spinning kick preformed by a young TKD student. The problem was that I saw it, the whole thing from begining to end, while I was some 5 feet away! :D The look on his face was priceless, I just stood there and let him land.

reneritchie
05-25-2003, 11:02 AM
There's a Yiu Kuit, roughly "when cross, charge the center". If an opponent is actually doing a spinning kick (ie. crescent, hook, etc. not a back which looks like its spinning but is actually straight) just charge the center and slam anything along the back of the spine (push gently if in practice). If you're a little more advanced, you can do the same with the back kick, but will need more in the way of leg methods for angling and interupting.

A funny story. When we were shooting the pictures for the YKS book, my classmate Antony refused to do anything posed (like most books/articles are) and insisted we hit each other at least 50%). When it came time to show a sample application for Jin Choi (arrow punch, ie. the forward step and punch), my classmate Georgia wanted to counter a jumping spinning crescent kick. Antony refused, saying there was no way she could do it, he would take her head off, etc. She insisted, tempers flared on both sides, and finally Antony let out a Kelso-esque "FINE!" and they went for it. He jumpd, spun, and kicked. She closed. He slammed into the ground and lay there writhing for about 20 min. When he could talk again, he just said, "okay."

(Had another classmate, Deon, who fought NHB back in the early 90s and his first match was against an national TKD champ, the guy started off with a spinning kick, my classmate closed, and smashed him so hard he flew across the ring, knocked the camera man off the ring apron, and then bounched back into Deon for more punishment.)

Play around. Find a good kicker though with roughly the same experience you have in WCK (not a WCK guy pretending to kick) then start slowly, think, try, and if something goes wrong, figure out what and try again. Build up from there as your confindence and timing grow.

Kristoffer
05-25-2003, 11:31 AM
"my classmate Georgia wanted to counter a jumping spinning crescent kick. Antony refused, saying there was no way she could do it, he would take her head off, etc. She insisted, tempers flared on both sides, and finally Antony let out a Kelso-esque "FINE!" and they went for it. He jumpd, spun, and kicked. She closed. He slammed into the ground and lay there writhing for about 20 min. When he could talk again, he just said, "okay."

LOL :D "FINE!" That is so funny...

Anyway, in Shuai Chiao theer's a counter to a wheel kick that is; As soon as the kick beginns you move in close, enter arm/hand under groin, punching upward. While your left hand is on the shoulder lifting. This way you can easy lift and throw him backwards on to his head. Funny too :)

reneritchie
05-25-2003, 01:09 PM
I had another friend, fairly decent a greco-roman. Someone tried a spinning kick on him outside a store. He countered with a belly to back suplex. Lucky for the kicker they were on grass...

hunt1
05-26-2003, 06:06 AM
Moral of the story: Spin for show: close for dough!

jesper
05-26-2003, 06:21 AM
Hey Rene.

Nice story. Just remember that its important to have a good timing. If your to slow the spinning back kick will take your head of. Happened to me because I lost concentration for a split second, I was knocked out.
But with a bit of practice its pretty easy to defend against these types of attack.

AztecaPreist
05-26-2003, 09:37 PM
I think that training these kicks in class gives you a fine sense in what the body needs to do in order to use this technique thus giving you the ability to identify it out in the streets when confronted by an attacker who knows martial arts. Although I do not see the superiority on turning my back to an opponent in a physical confrontation for not even a split second but there are those ma's that train this so you must be aware of what can happen to you if you face someone like this. there are those who are so fast that their kicks are as fast as punches and placed with the utmost deadliest of accuracies. So, I say train with these kicks to learn to identify when that foot comes across and the hips head and shoulder start to spin that get that pak gerk to center or whatever defense is availiable to you to prepare for the oncoming attack. Also I find that training with these kicks buils up self confidence in not only recognizing the atack but, but also being prepared to react to the attack and not freeze up. To not be mesmorized by the gracefulness of the kick as it smashes the side of your face in or crushes your rib cage. But then again this is all in my own opinion :oP

namron
05-27-2003, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by AztecaPreist
I think that training these kicks in class gives you a fine sense in what the body needs to do in order to use this technique thus giving you the ability to identify it out in the streets when confronted by an attacker who knows martial arts. Although I do not see the superiority on turning my back to an opponent in a physical confrontation for not even a split second but there are those ma's that train this so you must be aware of what can happen to you if you face someone like this. there are those who are so fast that their kicks are as fast as punches and placed with the utmost deadliest of accuracies. So, I say train with these kicks to learn to identify when that foot comes across and the hips head and shoulder start to spin that get that pak gerk to center or whatever defense is availiable to you to prepare for the oncoming attack. Also I find that training with these kicks buils up self confidence in not only recognizing the atack but, but also being prepared to react to the attack and not freeze up. To not be mesmorized by the gracefulness of the kick as it smashes the side of your face in or crushes your rib cage. But then again this is all in my own opinion :oP

Pretty much in line with my thinking.

Now how many people out there can actually perform a spinning kick?

Or how many people have the opportunity to train with some one who is not just average but good at these kinds of kicks?

How did you/ do you fare????