PDA

View Full Version : The cool TV show alert thread

Chang Style Novice
05-25-2003, 04:04 PM
I hope this thread can last for a while - I think it could be pretty useful. This way, there's no need to start a new thread every time a good show is coming up.

Anyway, PBS in Austin TX is showing a 'reality' show called Warrior's Challenge this Tuesday at 8pm. It's focus is going to be a bunch of modern folks going through training like that of Roman Gladiators. I've seen one where they train some folks as English longbowmen, too.

Looks like a decent way to spend a non-training hour.

SaMantis
05-25-2003, 04:16 PM
I saw part of an episode where they had people train as Roman soldiers. Interesting stuff.

David Jamieson
05-26-2003, 05:23 AM
yes, i saw that show.

basically, 8 guys off the street go for training as roman soldiers.

day 1: one guy bails because he gets sick

by the end of it, these guys are practically crying to get back to civilization.

it's an eye opener for all the wannabe tough guys out there in the land o'cubicles :D

It lets people see and taste what "real" training is like. heh heh.

cheers

jun_erh
05-26-2003, 05:53 AM
Sat and sun nights at 9 on the new tnn: Most Extreme Elimination Challenge. (AKA Takeshi's Island) This is the best show. It's these Japanese people doing challenges like the rotating surfboard of death, and swinging from a rope and trying to land in this giant spider web thing. I won't try to explain it. There's funny/ sarcastic dubbing. Most of the people have very little athletic prowess. Highlights are the top ten most painful eliminations of the day, taco bell impact replay, etc.

taijiquan_student
05-26-2003, 03:39 PM
Oh those wacky little people.

neit
05-27-2003, 10:12 AM
warrior challenge is excellent, i have seen the roman, and the viking one. i thought the viking episode was decidedly better but both were great.

jmd161
05-27-2003, 11:47 AM
I saw the one about the Vikings.

I did'nt know it was a series.I thought it was just something that PBS showed that one night.I'll look out for the show now that i know it's a series.

jeff:)

Chang Style Novice
05-27-2003, 07:03 PM
That was cool - they did the same thing to simulate sword combat as has been suggested several times here on the forum to do relatively safe knife drills - dipped wood sticks in red paint.

They also had some ingenious mechanical solutions to answer the question "how do you train deadly weapon techniques without killing somebody?" And the answer is basically, contrive a moving dummy and hope it's good enough.

Oso
06-18-2003, 03:57 AM
from Stan Lee

on the New TNN.

A stripper who is also a super heroine.

Pamela Anderson as the voice of.

:D