PDA

View Full Version : Chi Gerk

marcelino31
05-26-2003, 07:07 AM
What is Chi Gerk? Some WC systems practice it and others don't.
Are there benefits to doing Chi Gerk?

yuanfen
05-26-2003, 08:19 AM
All those nice wing chun principles of balance, control, sticking timing applied to the legs. Further skill development. Newbies really cant do it. Some advanced folks can chi sao and chi gerk together.
Helps with leg motions independently or coordinated with hand motions.

KPM
05-26-2003, 10:40 AM
From what I understand, some of Yip Man's senior students applied the concepts from single sticking hand to the legs and came up with Chi Gerk. That is why not all branches do Chi Gerk.

Keith

foolinthedeck
05-26-2003, 03:27 PM
there are major benefits to chi gerk.
or sticky legs as i know it.

hands take care of hands, legs take care of legs.
i'd be interested in how schools that dont teach it deal with leggy matters... although it is an advanced thing not for beginners, it should be used more.

benefits?
balance
kicking better
'blocking' kicks better
leg strength
moving better
stance improved
looks good
good if you are really tall like me and have to fight little people
good against wild dogs and other small things
good against doors
good to train leg senstivity
etc

black and blue
05-27-2003, 01:44 AM
i'd be interested in how schools that dont teach it deal with leggy matters... although it is an advanced thing not for beginners, it should be used more.

How did Yip Man deal with leggy matters :)? It was his students that played with Chi Gerk - it wasn't his conception, no?

Phil Redmond
05-27-2003, 11:33 AM
KPM/Black and Blue are right.
Yip Man never practiced/taught Chi Geuk. It was something made up by his students.
PR

Alpha Dog
05-27-2003, 11:37 AM
Better get some Jow or horse-strength Absorbine before trying this one, kiddies.

yuanfen
05-27-2003, 11:42 AM
Never? Curious- How do you know that Phil?

fa_jing
05-27-2003, 12:16 PM
the question remains - how did Yip Man teach the more complex leg movements? As seperate movement drills? We learned both in my study.

byond1
05-28-2003, 05:27 PM
my 2 cents....ive heard that wsl and several other senior students came up with the drill platform.....of chi gerk....
but...yip man has taught it to several students!! this is a fact.....so.....what does that mean? yip mans students created it....than yip man learned it from them and than taught it to other students?? lol....hard to say....

stuartm
05-29-2003, 06:02 AM
Hi all,

Chi Gerk is a very valid form of training. However, before you learn it you must have a decent level of footwork to ensure correct range, distance, angle etc. I dont think it needs to be over-complicated either. Im always bemused by these over complexed drills in chi gerk and chi sao. Remember the reality of a confrontation - you will have very little time to think and will rely on reaction. The confrontation is likely to last a very short space of time - seconds most likely. As such i prefer to teach chi gerk form a position of non-contact and to hone the skill from there.

I was never keen on learning CG from the arms linked position, and i prefer to teach it from a position of no contact. There a number of drills that I teach including.

1. Both partners standing Biu Ma stance opposite each other with arms crossed - maintain eye contact and have one person perform jic gerk while blocks by sweeping the leg to the side

2. To follow on, once you have swept the leg across you can follow up with wang gerk to the rear leg

3. Have someone throw a straght kick, use huen ma to circle around the kick while you kick at the opponents leg above the knee using the chum kiu turning kick. If done correctly and with good timing you will floor the opponent.

An earlier thread mentioned defence against a roundhouse kick. IU would agree with Phil and suggest that you dont try double gaun as you are likely to break your wrists / arm/ both !!! Kwun Sau can be used but only if it is used to absorb force rather than receive it head on, and that your distance is correct. I wil ltry and explain my viewpoint.

Your opponent throws a right r'house / mawashageri - the kick is at its peak usually at 12 o'clock (from the kickers side) - if you side step past thispoint the kick loses a great deal of its strength.
Side step with Kwun and pivot into the opponent throwing wang gerk to rear leg or groin. Again, not an easy move but depending on footwork and timing can be very effective.

Another technique than works is to receive the kick with a tok sau / lifting tan - however you see it. Use the same stepping motion as before but feed the tan/tok under the leg as you step and lift - i have used this and it works.

Just an opinion as always !!

Regards, Stuart

foolinthedeck
05-29-2003, 12:05 PM
stuart,

I dont think it needs to be over-complicated either. Im always bemused by these over complexed drills in chi gerk

so why did you describe it in such complicated detail ?

your ways of practicing it may be great but arent you contradicting yourself? just an idiots opinion.

Alpha Dog
05-29-2003, 12:19 PM
I think it would be good to post any video streams of what stuartm has described -- anyone got them?

stuartm
05-29-2003, 01:25 PM
Hi all,

Didnt mean to sound contradictory, just trying to give justice to the thread and provide a detailed explanation of the techniques, which is not easy to do in words !! The techniques are far from complicated in practise - that is not to say they are easy !

Alpha - a couple of my students are working with me on my website (www.swanseavingtsun.com) and there will be plenty of mpegs and pics up there in the next few weeks so keep checking back.

Best Wishes, Stu

fa_jing
05-30-2003, 05:38 PM
The kinds of drills we learned were very similar to the wing chun leg motions shown in "Martial Arts Masters present: Kicking"

This magazine was published a couple years ago and included articles by WT and YKS branches. What we practiced in my own classes included some more material than what was shown in the magazine, nevertheless I thought the magazine was a good introduction to WCK kicking skills.