PDA

View Full Version : discussing long and short bridge

MAreader
05-28-2003, 06:16 AM
I have a question for KFO people.

What exactly is a bridge?

Sometimes I read on KFO that northern styles fight out of the long bridge and southern styles fight out of the short bridge. If this is true what does it mean in terms of martial movement?

Suppose I face an opponent and there is a bridge, what does it look like? Does it mean I have my arm in contact with his body?

Suppose I want to stop the other person from bridging with me, what are some examples of things I could do?

What role does bridging play in fighting? Is it something that happens right away? Is it always present in a fight or optional?

What are some experiences that you have had with bridging during sparring or even street encounters?

My experience in CMA is limited to six months of N. Shaolin as a teenager, and that was a little over ten years ago. I lurk on this forum a lot.

Oso
05-28-2003, 06:23 AM
not to sound trite but all of the things you suggested are bridges or bridging. depends on who you talk to as to what definition you get.

for me bridging is usually, but not always, when you have made connection with their arm with your arm either defensively or offensively.

Shaolin-Do
05-28-2003, 07:18 AM
Bridging would mostly be things like when you yes, touch arms, or combining techniques... Or maybe whoever or whever you read that was just poor with english, and meant to say ranges. Most northern styles are more long range fighting, where as most southern styles emphasize on close techniques, low kicks, ect.

Shuul Vis
05-28-2003, 07:40 AM
Basically just ask yourself what does a literal bridge do? And the bridge in martial arts is pretty much the same thing, something that connects you to your opponent. The bridge allows you to connect with your opponents energy and begin sensing his center or root. It can be anything as far as a technique though.

Or you can see a bridge as a technique that bridges you from one fighting range to another effectively.