PDA

View Full Version : Sifu Brendan Lai

ursa major
05-28-2003, 08:27 AM
Recently I acquired a VHS tape in which Sifu Brendan Lai performs several 7 Star forms. This tape is the first I have ever seen of Sifu Lai.

For those of you without the benefit of a VHS recording, Sifu Lai's method, his execution, is electrifying to watch. It was truly inspirational and I do not say this lightly.

Does anyone know if there are more Bendan Lai tapes and/or books available ? Who to contact ?

Thx in advance,
UM.

Skarbromantis
05-28-2003, 08:47 AM
So....do you not plan on sharing :D

I think you need to give Neil a copy, so he can forward one to me, so I can show Sifu....what do you think...pleeese :D ,

I got some I know you want to see...trust me PM me and I'll tell you what I have.

Skard1

SaMantis
05-28-2003, 09:38 AM
Unless this is the tape you already own ... "Living Legends of Kung Fu, Vol. 1" features Master Lai.

I don't think Martial Arts Mart carries it, but the Wah Lum store has copies: Wah Lum Store (http://www.wahlum.com/kung-fu_store.htm)

BeiTangLang
05-28-2003, 10:10 AM
Hmmm,...if its not the living legend stuff, maybe we could trade?
(I'm sure I have _something_ you'd like!)

Shaolin-Do
05-28-2003, 01:25 PM
does it show any applications?

btw bei is talking about stolen crack babies.

:D

BeiTangLang
05-30-2003, 07:37 AM
Sigung Lai had some awsome applications. I enjoyed every moment of his presence. Anyone have taped seminars of him?

ursa major
05-30-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by BeiTangLang
... Sigung Lai had some awesome applications...

I have been watching his Tao Tou form he does some things differently than I was taught/practice. One piece in particular I have been studying for a couple of days now it looks simple yet is difficult to execute. Now if it works the way I think it might, then it will have a significant impact on the way I interpret the technique in the form. Well, I have to practice it a few more times and then try it in some sparring to see how it works ?

Regards,
UM.

BeiTangLang
05-30-2003, 12:05 PM
Just curious,...which section?

-N-
05-30-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by ursa major
One piece in particular I have been studying for a couple of days now it looks simple yet is difficult to execute.

Which part?

N.

ursa major
05-30-2003, 12:29 PM
BeiTangLang, -N-, the part I've been working on is in the first few steps of the form. Also, my apologies Sigung Lai is introduced as 'Sifu' on the tape.

In Tao Tou from start I:

1) step left strike to groin
2) stand to crane and strike long fist
3) step down to right and strike right hammer

Sigung Lai in the video:

1) step left strike to groin
1.5) makes right leg snap toe kick low as he ...
2) stand to crane and strike long fist
3) step down to right and strike right hammer

I was not taught the right leg 'low snap kick' as some of you may have been ? So after left leg and right groin strike I immediately stand to crane with long fist punch. I have been trying this as a kick and as a hook with the right foot.

UM.

BeiTangLang
05-30-2003, 12:34 PM
I noticed this as well,...
I am not positive but, 98% of the time I have found that an possition in which the crane stance is used, there is an implied kick. "Officialy" there or not, it works very well in actual application & Sigung most likely added it as a flourishment to the form. (Like I said,...my best guess...)

ursa major
05-30-2003, 01:04 PM
I noticed this as well,...
I am not positive but, 98% of the time I have found that an possition in which the crane stance is used, there is an implied kick. "Officialy" there or not, it works very well in actual application & Sigung most likely added it as a flourishment to the form. (Like I said,...my best guess...)

BeiTangLang, -N-,

Did you know Sigung Lai ?

Yes I agree on the implied kick. In fact I practice kicks often with my drills when in cat stance or crane stance. For example one of my favourite drills/methods is step two in Bung-Bo with a kick to the thigh, rib or armpit.

Now about that 'kick', I play step one groin strike in Tao Tou as part of a topple method. Moving to step two and withdrawing the right hand behind the opponent's knee and lifting as I stand to crane, I have used Sigung Lai's method first kicking then trying to hook the opponent's airborne leg, then the leg he is still standing on, before I stand to crane. Well that is one busy technique (haha). Adding the kick/foot hook doesn't work well for me when toppling is the intent. Maybe it's just me I am still working on it.

I am going to continue studying this tape and Sigung Lai's methods. He has a most interesting manner of stepping he seems to be 'jumping' alot in his stances and his change-ups are very quick, precise and meticulously timed with his upper body activity. I want to understand this.

UM.

BeiTangLang
05-30-2003, 01:27 PM
Yes, I knew Sigung Lai,..but not as well as others in this forum.
I wish I had a time machine to go back & pay even closer attention to his words.

[Now about that 'kick', I play step one groin strike in Tao Tou as part of a topple method. Moving to step two and withdrawing the right hand behind the opponent's knee and lifting as I stand to crane, I have used Sigung Lai's method first kicking then trying to hook the opponent's airborne leg, then the leg he is still standing on, before I stand to crane. Well that is one busy technique (haha). Adding the kick/foot hook doesn't work well for me when toppling is the intent. Maybe it's just me I am still working on it. ]

A very busy technique you have indeed! Interesting interpretations as well! I like it!
After the groin strike, imagine the opponent trying to block it; then seal his right side arm with your left hand as you rise to perform a facial strikewith your right hand...this would be making the assumption that it was a succesful "block", he would still be upright & beigining to turn on is heel to face you. This would open up his right leg just enough to sneak in the groin kick before he retreated. If the retreat was succesful,..you still have the hammer you can lay on him as you land in your stance.
This is jut another interpretation mind you, so don' assume that I think it is right by any means.....just another interpretation.

Best Wishes,
BTL

ursa major
05-30-2003, 01:52 PM
... After the groin strike, imagine the opponent trying to block it; then seal his right side arm with your left hand as you rise to perform a facial strikewith your right hand...this would be making the assumption that it was a succesful "block", he would still be upright & beigining to turn on is heel to face you. This would open up his right leg just enough to sneak in the groin kick before he retreated. If the retreat was succesful,..you still have the hammer you can lay on him as you land in your stance.
This is jut another interpretation mind you, so don' assume that I think it is right by any means.....just another interpretation.
Best Wishes,
BTL

Nasty bit that sneaky kick of yours.

I'll be taking more notes tonight there is more interesting stuff in Tao Tou that I am trying to figure out as well I'll post if you are interested ?

By-the-way, I play the opening of PM Exits Cave, Plum Flower Descending and Monkey Steals Peach all the same, a fake to the groin to loosen the opponent's lead leg then withdraw grabbing the inside of that leg as I stand to crane, step down and knock 'em over. Is this how you guys apply it ?

UM.

-N-
05-30-2003, 02:37 PM
ursa major,

Sifu Lai was my teacher. Sigung is the title used for your teacher's teacher. The term Sifu, as used on the tape, is just the generic title.

Raised leg stance, or single leg stance, implies: kick, or knee strike, or hooking and throwing. Stepping down from single leg stance can advancing footwork, or it can be part of a throw.

Snapping the leg out and then back in for single leg stance is also a way of generating force and speed in the strike or throw, and in the sharp transition from low to high positions.

The standard way we practice the solo form is with the snap, but w/o an explicit kick.

Forms are stylized for performance. So be careful of trying to do your applications the way they look in a form.

N.

ursa major
05-30-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by -N-
... Snapping the leg out and then back in for single leg stance is also a way of generating force and speed in the strike or throw, and in the sharp transition from low to high positions.

The standard way we practice the solo form is with the snap, but w/o an explicit kick.

N.

Is this method specific to Brendan Lai's line ? What I saw in the video is the first I've ever seen of this method. I will try it for effect in aiding transition from low to high as you say.

As for generating force and speed for the throw not sure I see it that way. I find that when I do the grab on the lead leg as I stand to crane without this 'kick' my trailing leg (right) moves readily into a position of stability and very quickly. I find that when I go directly to a crane I also maintain a great degree of favorable momentum. But if attempting the same toppling technique when I try advancing my right leg first with either kick or foot-hook then into crane I find myself 'stumbling' through the attempted follow through and the topple does not work so well.

However when I use the 'kick' as a straight forward kick which is to say to follow the common PM practice of striking simultaneous high and low it seems to work.

Well I'm done training for tonight I'll get some of the guys tomorrow and have another round of tests. I am interested in exploring what you said "a way of generating force and speed in the strike or throw, and in the sharp transition from low to high positions." Is this a teaching of Sifu Lai ?

BeiTangLang and -N- thx for your comments,
UM.

-N-
05-30-2003, 06:46 PM
ursa major,

The single leg stance executed as a throw does not make use of the arm grabbing the lead leg, in the version that I have in mind.

One way to apply this is for the raising leg to hook the opponent's lead leg from the outside while you use the same side hand to pull diagonally in a cross grab motion.

Try this combination. Both people are left lead in front. You use left grab, right punch. When his right comes up to parry, use right grab, left punch, with right leg hooking and raising opponent's left leg. Opponent falls toward direction of your pull.

N.

mantisben
06-02-2003, 10:15 PM
...a fake to the groin to loosen the opponent's lead leg then withdraw grabbing the inside of that leg as I stand to crane, step down and knock 'em over...UM.

Not how I apply it. But after your excellent interpretation of this movement, I can't help but add it to my arsenal. What a GREAT interpretation of this technique!

mantisben
06-02-2003, 10:44 PM
... I find that when I do the grab on the lead leg as I stand to crane without this 'kick' my trailing leg (right) moves readily into a position of stability and very quickly. I find that when I go directly to a crane I also maintain a great degree of favorable momentum...
BeiTangLang and -N- thx for your comments,
UM. How about using your right leg to kick the back of the left leg of the opponent as you lift his right leg with your right arm, AFTER striking his groin (or attemping to strike his groin) with the negative Diu (back of PM Claw)?
In hooking your opponents right leg with your right arm from the OUTSIDE of your opponents right leg, don't use a PM hook, use the same motion of the upper-cut in the 2nd movement of the Tou Tao form to "cradle" the back of your opponents knee in the "bend" of your right arm, lifting his leg up to the sky, and kicking the left leg of the opponent with your right leg?
Man this sounds confusing...:confused:

The practicioners on this forum never cease to amaze me with their interpretation of PM technique...

mantisben
06-02-2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by -N-
Try this combination. Both people are left lead in front. You use left grab, right punch. When his right comes up to parry, use right grab, left punch, with right leg hooking and raising opponent's left leg. Opponent falls toward direction of your pull.N. This sounds like the first 2 movements in the form Sa Pa Sau "18 Old Men", where you execute the left Tiao Sou, Advance into right 7* stance and execute Pek Chui, then execute the right Leg-hanging stance with the left Tung Chui.

ursa major
06-03-2003, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by mantisben
... Not how I apply it. But after your excellent interpretation of this movement, I can't help but add it to my arsenal. What a GREAT interpretation of this technique!

Mantisben thx for the compliment.

I worked out this method last year when I reviewed PM Falling Leaf. I have adapted or carried over the same application to PM Exits Cave and White Ape Steals Peach. The groin strike whether fake or actual, encourages the opponent to take some or all weight off the lead leg making it vulnerable to a grapple with your withdrawing right hand. A very natural action once you try it eh ? I use it often and it works well just be sure to use your left guard firmly eh ? I got a knee to the head a few times... call it growing pains haha.

Your variation of kicking the rear leg is a great idea in fact I have tried it on a number of occasions and had it applied to myself as well. If successful the opponent buckles like a wilted leaf if you have tried it then you know exactly what I mean. Wanna be real nasty ? Instead of kicking the rear leg with your right step on his rear foot with your right as you throw him. I have found no break fall from this method.

Regards,
UM.

mantisben
06-03-2003, 12:59 PM
...Wanna be real nasty ? Instead of kicking the rear leg with your right step on his rear foot with your right as you throw him. I have found no break fall from this method.

Regards,
UM. Thanks for the technique! To me, this is what studying PM is about!

Young Mantis
06-03-2003, 09:53 PM

Now about that 'kick', I play step one groin strike in Tao Tou as part of a topple method. Moving to step two and withdrawing the right hand behind the opponent's knee and lifting as I stand to crane, I have used Sigung Lai's method first kicking then trying to hook the opponent's airborne leg, then the leg he is still standing on, before I stand to crane. Well that is one busy technique (haha). Adding the kick/foot hook doesn't work well for me when toppling is the intent. Maybe it's just me I am still working on it.

Maybe it doesn't work well because that is not the application Sigung had in mind when he did his form. You seem to be trying to fit your interpretation of the technique to the way Sigung is performing the form.

In regards to your interpretation of this particular technique, I think it is interesting to consider but as anyone who practices Ling Bahk Yuen Tau Toe knows, that is not the original application as taught in the Ling form. Now I am not saying the method in the ling form is the one and only way, just not the same. But I do feel the ling form way would be closest to the creator's intended application particularly in the context of the form.

This sequence that is found in Bahk Yuen Tau Toe, Mui Fah Lok, Tong Long Tchut Dhong, makes use of alternating high and low attacks. First sink low to strike the groin. As the opponents attention is drawn down, rise up to attack the face with a simultaneous lower attack (the kick hidden in the form). Now that the opponent is focused up top and possibly hurt from the kick, we sink down again, perhaps even trapping the leg with the kicking leg to prevent escape as we crash down with the next strike. This is part of basic Praying Mantis fighting theory.

While experimenting with different applications can be a valuable exercise, I think is important to seek out the genuine applications that are passed down by legitimate instructors of the style.

YM

ursa major
06-04-2003, 08:14 AM
Hello YM thx for your comments.

Quite right -- I have/had no idea what Sifu Lai had in mind for applications and I apologize if I sounded like I did.

I would like to point out that my lack of understanding for what Sifu Lai was doing and why Sifu Lai was doing what he did -- was my motivation for examining his method. In the process I learned another genuine application.

Regards,
UM.

-N-
06-04-2003, 08:38 AM
YM - agreed.

UM - no apologies necessary.

N.