PDA

View Full Version : Asking Questions

marcelino31
05-28-2003, 12:37 PM
It amazes me how so called authorities in WC rarely ever begin a thread of discussion by asking a question.

For me doing and learning WC is a process and there is no end to it - you can always improve and get better.

By not asking questions it appears that self proclaimed authorities are "know it alls." This, at times, can be a form of cowardice or insecurity, not wanting to ask a question for fear of allowing people to think that they don't have all the answers for everything. Ego holds them back.

Ego leads to condescending behaviour and it is ego that is the root of all evil.

Instead be selfless, for knowledge is infinite and learning begins by asking a question.

Grabula
05-28-2003, 12:55 PM
welcome to the internet marcelino. I find this forum to be especially good for sarcastic answers, mystical responses and garbage like that. however weed through all of that crap and there are a few knowledgeable people on this board who come up with some pretty good answers some times.

WCis4me
05-28-2003, 02:05 PM
Asking Questions
It amazes me how so called authorities in WC rarely ever begin a thread of discussion by asking a question.

I disagree, I see many people start their threads with inviting questions and comments. The only difference between them and other threads that I discussed in my thread, is they are being frank from the start that they have knowledge regarding the topic that the thread is about. However they are usually very humble in inviting and responding to questions/comments. Here is a sample of recent ones, all quotes coming from the initial post in the thread.

"Understanding TWC -
Any questions or comments so far?"

"Training in WC -
What do you think?"

"What is more powerful -
what do you think is a more powerful strike and why?"

"Pien Sun WCK -
Of course realize that I have only seen the 1st level of PSWCK and am by no means an expert. But at least I can provide a starting point. If questions arise that I cannot answer, Jim frequents this forum and will likely chime in. :-)"

"All Wing Chun is not created equal -
and if your good hearted share it for the benefit of others ."

"Rene-HFY Champion! -
So, please, everyone collect up all those nagging questions which haven't been answered and I will answer them calmly, respectfully, and in a way that will engender goodwill and good feelings for HFY.
With respect,"

As I said this was just a sample, taken from active threads over the past 10 days. Not one of these threads started with a question or statement that implied they knew nothing or very little about the topic. Instead they gave their take on the topic and then proceeded to invite discussion on it right from the start. Very constructive approach, IMO.

Vicky

Alpha Dog
05-28-2003, 02:06 PM
'Nuther word fer trouble makers is all!

WCis4me
05-28-2003, 02:16 PM
AD,
Why didn't you tell me that BEFORE I started one.......geeeeez. You are supposed to watch the newbie's back.....np...I will just blame it all on you anyway.;)