PDA

View Full Version : OT: Getting ready to fight.

Laughing Cow
05-28-2003, 08:27 PM
Hi All.

I am busy getting ready for a slightly different fight.
At my son's creche they will soon start a test-project for "passive Solar".

First a bit of background, the creche is rather old and was build before air-con became the norm. Now all the new buildings come with full air-con and some parents insist that ours get upgraded too.

Tonight we will have a discussion about "passive Solar" vs "Airconditioning."
Personally, I prefer the passive solar method but will have to convince all the younger parents that don't know anything besides electric and electronic gadgets.

"Passive Solar" in this case would involve:
1.) digging a well
2.) planting green stuff on the roof of the House and at other important locations
3.) replacing the hard dirt playarea with a nice lawn and putting a small pool in too.
4.) etc

Bassically using natural, traditional methods to cool the building during the summer heats.

Wish me luck on my quest to convince the tech-freaks that technology is not always better.

Cheers.

Serpent
05-28-2003, 08:31 PM
Sock it to 'em, big guy.

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-28-2003, 08:48 PM
hippy.

Serpent
05-28-2003, 09:03 PM
:D

Ben Gash
05-28-2003, 09:07 PM
fascist :D

Becca
05-28-2003, 09:24 PM
Did you explaim that natural is pretty as well as good for the kids and the earth? Will cost less, as well. Once you get the passive solar established it will be selfsufficient. A/Cs usually cost alot to maintain, which will up the rates.

joedoe
05-28-2003, 09:24 PM
You need to take the terrorist method of operation here. Pick out an easy mark, slap them around, then sodomise them. Then ask if anyone else would like to oppose you.

Works well :D

Laughing Cow
05-28-2003, 09:29 PM
Becca.

Those are some of the arguments I already got lined up.

If they test suceeds at the current creche it will be extended to other old buildings in the Town.

Joedoe.

Can't do that the wee ones are watching too.

Becca
05-28-2003, 09:39 PM
Wait till nap time...:p

Serpent
05-28-2003, 09:41 PM
Ah, the wisdom of an experienced mother!

joedoe
05-28-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Laughing Cow
Becca.

Those are some of the arguments I already got lined up.

If they test suceeds at the current creche it will be extended to other old buildings in the Town.

Joedoe.

Can't do that the wee ones are watching too.

You didn't say the children would be there - so much more leverage then. Just grab one of the kids (make sure your kids are being well protected by your spouse first) and kill them. Then grab another one and threaten to do the same unless they agree to your plan.

If you think killing them is a bit extreme, just break some limbs or something. The important thing is to ensure that everyone understands that you are not mucking around and that you will carry through with your threats :D

SevenStar
05-28-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Becca
Wait till nap time...:p

That always works

shaolin kungfu
05-28-2003, 09:54 PM
Joedoe's reminding me of gda.:eek: :)

Ben Gash
Yeah, cept you have to explain how you were teaching mummy how to pass the guard when they wake up too soon ;)

Serpent
Mmmmmrearnakedchoke...

joedoe
05-28-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Ben Gash
Yeah, cept you have to explain how you were teaching mummy how to pass the guard when they wake up too soon ;)

Don't you mean showing mummy how to use the guard correctly? :D

Or you might have been practising your escape from the mount :D

joedoe
05-28-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by shaolin kungfu
Joedoe's reminding me of gda.:eek: :)

You never saw Passenger 57? I think the terrorist dude in that had it right. You don't take one hostage and threaten to kill them. You take one, kill them, then take another one. That shows that you are willing to kill and will make your opponent think twice about trying anything.

Serpent
05-28-2003, 10:18 PM
Remember that thing back in the day where the dudes took over a ship? They threw that poor ba$tard over the side, in his wheelchair, to make a point.

Scumbags.

joedoe
05-28-2003, 10:46 PM
The Achille Lauro. They caught the guy responsible for that when they went into Iraq. They shouldn't have picked a cripple - they made themselves look weak by picking an old, crippled man.

Dirty deed.

Serpent
05-28-2003, 10:50 PM
I think they were trying to emphasise their ruthlessness.

*******s.

joedoe
05-28-2003, 11:17 PM
But that is like saying "I am tough because I bash up 6 year olds". Which I do BTW, so I am really hard :D

Serpent
05-28-2003, 11:29 PM
You think that's hard? I beat on infants. If they can walk (or even crawl well) it's too much of a challenge.

joedoe
05-28-2003, 11:46 PM
Well, I tried bashing fetuses but the pro-lifers threatened to kill me :D

Serpent
05-28-2003, 11:59 PM
Fetii?

Merryprankster
05-29-2003, 02:25 AM
Once you get the passive solar established it will be selfsufficient.

Apparently, you never tried to keep anything alive :D

Becca
05-29-2003, 05:11 AM
Actually, my house resembles a small non-tropical jungle.:D
I love gardening of all kinds. even my fish tanks have live plants.
The trick is not to try so hard and follow the directions that come with the plant.

Laughing Cow
05-29-2003, 04:39 PM
Ok Guys.

Fight report.

I went in swinging, slamdunked the Husbands, rear-choked & mounted the Wifes and kicked the little ones.

j/k of course

Went a lot better than expected, except for the fool from the muncipality we all ganged up on him for being incompetent. ;)

They are starting the 1st phase next week which includes:
1.) Additional awnings
2.) Sinking the well and installing the pump
3.) Pumping well water to the roof and letting it trickle down to cool the roof.
23 litres a minute.

Lawn will not be forthcoming till phase 2.
Gotta love your local muncipality that has extra cash and wants to get ISO certified.
Our Shopping mall is getting a new roof this year too.
Plus, we will get a ban on public smoking in the streets too.

Yeaaahhh.

Cheers.

rubthebuddha
05-29-2003, 05:02 PM
as far as i know, they didn't toss the guy over the boat because he was in a wheel chair, they singled him out because he was jewish. the disabled part just made their job easier.

either that, or the uniqueness of saying, "arrr, matey, roll down the plank" struck a happy nerve with them.

anyhoo, kudos to laughing moo-cow. good luck with phase II and beyond.

sing fu
05-29-2003, 05:33 PM
Laughing Cow,

Nice job! That's some feat, getting local bureaucrats to sign up for eco-AC over here - way to go. I don't know about swinging the kids around, rear mounting the husbands and kicking the wives, but congrats anyway on your win! :)

Ben Gash
05-29-2003, 05:43 PM
who mentioned Tokyo? :cool:

rogue
05-29-2003, 05:43 PM
What's it get up to in the UK in the summer? Maybe 80F for a couple of weeks? You are a girlie man and should move to the mid-atlantic region of the US. Not only do we get the heat we get the humidity too. :D

Ben Gash
05-29-2003, 05:51 PM
Rogue, I'm working nights at the moment (hence the posts at 2am) and today it was so close I had to get up and have a shower before I could get back to sleep
http://www.freeadpower.org/~mrsmiles/cwm/cwm/eek2.gif

rogue
05-29-2003, 05:55 PM
Ben, I think we have your weather as it's been raining on the east coast for weeks. It's so bad I'm starting to crave warm beer with all sorts of pond life in it.;)

Laughing Cow
05-29-2003, 05:58 PM
Ben.

Local weather over here yesterday
27 degrees celsius as well as high humidity.
Tomorrow we got a typhoon coming in.

Summer over here is BAAD and it hardly cools down at night, humidity is VERY high too.

At my last kwoon the air-con was only switched on when temps went over 30 degrees.
Current kwoon no such luxury.

:( :(

Ben Gash
05-29-2003, 06:05 PM
Yeah, but I used to live in Hong kong :cool:

Ben Gash
05-29-2003, 06:08 PM
Anyway Rogue, I'm not old enough to understand farenheit
http://www.freeadpower.org/~mrsmiles/otn/funny/moon.gif

rogue
05-29-2003, 06:28 PM
Try this whippersnapper (http://pubweb.northwestern.edu/~hsl700/Fah.htm)

50F = 10C
90F = 32.2C

Ben Gash
05-29-2003, 06:50 PM
Todays forecast High temp 22-24 degrees Celcius
Windspeed 19Km/hr
Visibility unlimited
Days like today make England great :)
However, it was tipping down with rain last week :D

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-30-2003, 01:15 AM
i almost missed a good thread.

Mr Punch
05-30-2003, 01:38 AM
Laughing Cow
Tomorrow we got a typhoon coming in.

Dagnabbit. Should have watched the weather report. Still, being English and having gone to Uni in north Wales, it'll just be like an average day in Bangor!

Congrats on your score LC. Very encouraging. Your last kwoon was Gessoji, wasn't it? I don't remember Tada Shihan's aiki people ever using the aircon! And Kawagoe Budokan never bothered with aircon or heating in the winter! Try seiza on bare boards at -5 with the kendoka stomping up and down...!

Ben, that may be the forecast... but what's the weather like!!! Have those poor palukas at the Met Office managed to get one right since MacGaskill in 91 (wasn't it?) who just before the biggest hurricane to hit the UK for 400 years said something like
"Hmmm, nothing unusual to report, fairly calm and clear, should be a good day for everyone...'...?

Laughing Cow
05-30-2003, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by Mat
Laughing Cow
Dagnabbit. Should have watched the weather report. Still, being English and having gone to Uni in north Wales, it'll just be like an average day in Bangor!

It developed from the tropical storm that killed 25 in the phillipines.
Number 4 for this year.

Congrats on your score LC. Very encouraging.

But like most projects out here good aim but half-assed efforts in getting them done and planning.

Your last kwoon was Gessoji, wasn't it? I don't remember Tada Shihan's aiki people ever using the aircon! And Kawagoe Budokan never bothered with aircon or heating in the winter! Try seiza on bare boards at -5 with the kendoka stomping up and down...!

I can believe it knowing the MA guys out here. Air-con was only used when everybody was already soaked in sweat and NEVER in winter.

Current place we share a gym atrium with Table tennis guys and air-con does not even exist or a Kendo hall if the school need the atrium.
Atleast Sifu makes sure everybody got
an Isotonic drink with them during summer.
;)