PDA

View Full Version : Instructors in Pittsburgh, PA?

atip
05-29-2003, 12:08 AM
I live in the Pittsburgh area. There are many martial art schools around here that teach a variety of martial arts. However, all the ones that I see teach Tai Chi as a physical exercise.

I am a graduate student at CMU here. I attended one Tai Chi class a long time ago, which was taught by a graduate student from China. However, he only viewed it as a phyisical exercise. I believe he learnt it as part of the standard education in school back in China or something.

I was wondering how difficult it is to find an instructor who won't give you a funny look when you start asking about "energy" or "chi', and etc. All the people I talk to treat Tai Chi as an external art for older and slower people.

If you know of any good instructors around here, can you please recommend to me. I am not just restricting myself to Tai Chi. I am open to all internal arts.

Laughing Cow
05-29-2003, 12:16 AM
Excuse my ignorance in regards to PA.

If you are anywhere near try to see

Frank Shierry (http://www.pachentaichi.com/)

I am sure that he will show you some good Chen TJQ.

If not he might be able to provide some contacts closer to you.

Cheers.

atip
05-29-2003, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the reply. It's actually 6 hours away by driving. Most of the good things in PA are near Philly, which is on the other end of the state. I will try contacting him though to see if he can point me in any good direction.

RAF
05-29-2003, 05:39 AM
http://www.geocities.com/ycgf/YCGF_PAB.htm

Wang Peishang's student is in Pittsburgh located at the above site.

bodhitree
05-29-2003, 05:47 AM
Dude I private messaged you. Email me I live in Pittsburgh and have a good Sifu. desajeet@hotmail.com. My Sifu's Taiji lineage is good and I think he is an excellent teacher.

Ron Panunto
05-29-2003, 10:00 AM
ATIP, take RIF's advice. Go see Yang Zhun. I've worked with him quite a few times and he is the real Mc Coy. He is a direct indoor disciple of Wang Peishing who is one of the greatest living martial artists in China. Yang Zhun teaches wu taiji and xingyi among other arts. He has a published book on taiji sword and video tapes on taiji sword and xingyi.

You won't find a better teacher.

Ron Panunto