PDA

View Full Version : Using Internal Energy

atip
05-29-2003, 12:15 AM
I have been practicing breathing and energy circulation for a long time. I have no problem completing my microscopic orbit. I can really charge my brain and energy up with all that energy. I can heat up my body and my hands to a very hot degree. I also found it interesting that when do the opposite, I can make my hands and body very cold as well. I am getting better at this every month, every week and every day, but I don't know what do do next.

I basically started by talking to people and reading books. I have no access to a formal trainer who can guide me along the way. I live in Pittsburgh, PA, so I don't think I can gind a qualfied teacher.

Now I wonder what are the next steps? I want to learn about how to transform this energy to more uses -- both in every day life and for martial purposes. Is there a book I should read? Is there an online forum I could go to?

Becca
05-29-2003, 05:19 AM
What you are doing is Qi Manipulation. Any good internal arts instructor can help you with that, even if they don't believe in it.

bodhitree
05-29-2003, 05:50 AM
atip
get a hold of me!

atip
05-29-2003, 07:44 PM
"Use the cold power in your combat forms."

Why cold?

I have read about masters of internal arts making a deadly strike with their palms. I have the following questions in that regard.

Is that based on Chi or external strength or both?

Is Chi used to strenghten the palm and the muscle to deliver the strike, or is Chi actually projected into the target to damage the target from the inside.

Where can I read about about this? What is this technique call? Is it "Iron Palm"?

But when I searched around I find that the external artists have their own Iron Palm as well. I don't want to be confused.

Becca
05-29-2003, 09:57 PM
"Is that based on Chi or external strength or both?"

Depending on what style you are studying, Qi/Chi/Yi is internal strength. And others have them being different. That is why it is best to study under someone. Maybe even several different people, though not all at once.:p

"Is Chi used to strenghten the palm and the muscle to deliver the strike, or is Chi actually projected into the target to damage the target from the inside."

The way my Sifu explained it, "You wouldn't slam your head into a steel bar with out protection, would you?" Basically, you use the flow of Qi inside your body to prepar muscles and bone, but you also use striking Drills to get your mind ready to excpt the blow and you use physical strengthening to make the bone and muscle harder in the first place. Some styles call this Iron Body and/or Iron Palm.Others simply call this body or hand skill. TheQi is used almost like a suite of armor.

Qi flows along the body using the skin and circulitory system as "roads". It sweeps away harmful buildups of bad energy and refreshes damaged areas, allowing them to heal better. The Qi that flows along your skin is used like a blanket, and difusses the kinetic energy of the incomming strike. The more you are able to focus your Qi, the more protection it can provide.

The ability to transfer Qi into the body of an oponant is a very high level of Qi Manipulation. I'm afraid my Sifu hasn't started to train me on this skill yet, as I haven't mastered the lower levels yet.

"Where can I read about about this? What is this technique call? Is it "Iron Palm"?"

You can read about it in any book that discusses the theory of certain internal arts. Look especially into Shaolin. They would call it hand or finger skill, body skill, ect...

"But when I searched around I find that the external artists have their own Iron Palm as well. I don't want to be confused."

You will find that there is some hard elements in all internal arts and some soft in External. While External arts do not focus on the metaphysical aspect much, they do incorporate parts of it, just as Internal arts incorporte body strengthening.
:) Nothing is absolute in martial arts.

Laughing Cow
05-29-2003, 10:04 PM
Becca.

Is on the mark.

Some of the internal arts use Qi-gong like Iron shirt which are similar to some external arts.

So far I have failed to find a style/art that is either 100% internal or 1005 external.

If you haven't trained under a good Qi-Gong teacher i would recommend seeking one, as the experiences you feel might not be what you assume them to be.
You NEED a good master to validate your ideas and offer corrections and advancements.
Most of what you read in books and similar is not complete and often only cover the basics.

Cheers.

Becca
05-29-2003, 10:12 PM
Yep: While I do have some hand and body skill material for background reading, I use it only to help me understand the history of certain techniques or to refresh me on some topic Sifu has already covered.

Rurouni Kenshi
05-30-2003, 03:02 AM
next step is condensed Qigong, read this book "essence of taichi chuan" by chambalha classic edtions.
and read athers book from the same author (wich i forget his name) thart's very interested.

No_Know
05-30-2003, 01:57 PM
Becca, I woul think that Qi might be part of Yi. But that they are not synonymous.

Next step? You, decide.

Becca
05-30-2003, 03:41 PM
Ok. I was under the impression that they were yet another example of the "eight words for one thing" issue in MA.