PDA

View Full Version : Spears!!!

Brad
05-29-2003, 12:15 PM
Anyone know where I can purchase a good quality waxwood staff & spear, preferably "traditionaly" weighted?

dwid
05-29-2003, 12:17 PM
If you want a real spear. Get one of the heavy waxwood staffs cold steel makes and get one of their spear heads.

Cold Steel makes functional spears and javelins, which is a step up from anything you're going to find in any martial arts catalogue.

Brad
05-29-2003, 12:22 PM
Cool. Got a link? :D

dwid
05-29-2003, 12:28 PM
Here are the spears and staffs from Cold Steel's Special Projects webpage:

http://www.ltspecpro.com/whwaxwocaand.html

http://www.ltspecpro.com/spears-high-performance-spears.html

Chang Style Novice
05-29-2003, 01:08 PM
Spears (http://www.mtv.com/bands/az/spears_britney/artist.jhtml#)

(I apologize in advance)

dwid
05-29-2003, 01:15 PM
Whats the difference between boar spears and Britney Spears?

I don't know, something to do with penetration. I'll leave it to the perverts here to figure out...

:D

Starchaser107
05-29-2003, 01:26 PM
those swords look awesome. great link.
however the traditional chinese spear is not used for throwing like european and african spears. the wood should be flexible unlike japanese spears which are made of more stiff wood.:D

other than that wow way cool, i love this stuff.

Chang Style Novice
05-29-2003, 01:27 PM
Isn't a spear for throwing more properly called a javelin?

I was under the impression that spears as wielded by european infantry had pretty much the same kind of use as in asia - ie: get some space between you and the other guy!

Starchaser107
05-29-2003, 01:36 PM
ok my bad , but i was just going off what the site said

"For people who have everything, here's something new! Cold Steel's spears make for a unique, and athletic target throwing experience!"

did i mention those swords look really cool, i'll say it again.:cool:

Taomonkey
05-29-2003, 02:12 PM
Brittany Spears....
"the wood should be flexible unlike japanese spears which are made of more stiff wood."

he said "stiff wood"

Judge Pen
05-29-2003, 02:25 PM
Try e-bay Chinese Antiques. They sometimes have traditional spearheads in good shape. Add one of those to a Waxwood staff.

Ben Gash
05-29-2003, 05:39 PM
those butterfly knives are sweet :)

Starchaser107
05-29-2003, 07:17 PM
ahh my lightning wit has been discovered by Taomonkey...:D

is it possible to combine the two spears: possibly a bore brittany spear?

dwid
05-30-2003, 05:27 AM
I'm pretty bored by Britney Spears....

Anyway, I agree with the above that a throwing spear is more properly called a javelin. European infantry used spears on long poles much the same way chinese infantry did. It just doesn't make sense to throw something that weighs that much.

That said, the spears made by cold steel are probably designed for throwing very short distances as in hunting, but I'd say the heads look pretty formidable and who says you can't adapt them to doing spear forms.

quiet man
05-30-2003, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
Isn't a spear for throwing more properly called a javelin?

I was under the impression that spears as wielded by european infantry had pretty much the same kind of use as in asia - ie: get some space between you and the other guy!

No, no; nobody would listen to Britney Javelins.