PDA

View Full Version : Arrow Hand: Anyone Know Anything About It?

Shuul Vis
05-29-2003, 06:21 PM
I just started working on arrow hand in my class today and was wondering if anyone had any info on it. I like what i see so far.

Ben Gash
05-29-2003, 06:25 PM
Is this the Hung Gar one? I so I heard it was just a part of heart penetrating palm. If not what is it?

Shuul Vis
05-29-2003, 10:54 PM
So far i have been shown the form and applications. My sifu said it was generally taught to the higher ranks but he noticed they didnt understand it well enough and started teaching it to us sooner lol. To me it seems alot like the Siu Lim Tau form in wing chun, but im probably seeing it that way because i did alot of wing chun before i came to this school.

PHILBERT
05-29-2003, 11:19 PM
What is it used for? Is it like a palm strike? Vertical, horizontal or upside down palm? SLT has alot of open palm techniques mixed into it, tan sau, guan sau, bil jee, jut sau, etc. Is it used to strike in an upward fashion, horizontal, or upside down? Or is it like a knife hand? Or a finger strike like bil jee?

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-30-2003, 01:11 AM
is it the same one we do shuul? panther fist?

David
05-30-2003, 02:45 AM
Have you any idea what style it is? Hung gar's been mentioned. Southern mantis has 3-step arrow form.

-David

Nevermind
05-30-2003, 07:28 AM
Arrow Hand is a Hung Gar set. Although, I never learned this particular set, I have learned Heart Penetrating Palm. From what I understand, Arrow Hand is a shorter version of Heart Penetrating Palm. As I said, I have only learned HPP, so if I am wrong, someone please correct me.

Nevermind
05-30-2003, 07:33 AM
Is it the pigeon toed Yee Gee Kim Yeung Ma stance in the beginning that reminds you of Siu Nim Tao? I can see where you would draw the comparison. I thought of that too when I first learned Heart Penetrating Palm. I would be interested in seeing the set. I heard it was just another name for HPP. But without seeing it, its hard to tell.

David Jamieson
05-30-2003, 08:10 AM
I think the set is a recent addition to the Lam Jo lineage. Lam Chun Fai did an article on the set in KFQG not all that long ago.

btw- yee gee kim yeung ma stance (goat stance, pigeon toed stance etc etc) is found in a few styles and is not stand alone to wing chun. It is in Ha say fu (four lower tigers) as propogated by wing lam school and it's federation members as well as some other unrelated lineages.

It's also found in village Hung styles and old style Hung Ga.

There is a lot of crossover of technique from system to system of CMA. This is because of the nature of body mechanics and how the human form moves most efficiently. The facts of the limitations and capabilities of the human form are what serve as the groundwork for Martial arts styles.

Once you step outside of those physical truths, well...that is where you are going to find failures in a style. THis is due usually to someone trying to set themselves apart and also to just not understanding that there is a universal underpinning to combat arts that cannot be dismissed.

fwiw

cheers

Shuul Vis
05-30-2003, 11:16 AM
I just said it had similarities to the SLT of wing chun so you could get an idea of the type of movements. Yes the goat stance is there, lots of tan sau, jut sau, wan lan sau, pek jeung and alot of palm strikes and centerline punches. I dont know what style this form is taken from although i would suspect hung gar. Ill ask my sifu next time i see him. I was just curious what anyone knew about it, although i understand there are probably alot of different arrow hands out there.

GDA: No this is a complete form and doesnt involve that fist of yours. Ill show it to you next time im in town.

NEVERMIND: You sound like we are talking about the same form since you knew how it started. Anything else you can tell me about it?

Nevermind
05-30-2003, 11:56 AM
If these two sets are the same, there should be a few bursts of chain punches, splitting gold bridges, kiu saos, and lots of single tiger exits the cave. HPP is one of my favorite sets so far and it always gave me a challenge. Does a lot for the forearms. Be on the lookout for burning thighs and arms when you are done. :D

David Jamieson
05-30-2003, 12:38 PM
many styles owe their core offerings to Shaolin.

Wing Chun and Hung Gar included (amongst many others). They are both formed from and based in the Shaolin methods of combat. ergo, there will be similarities.

cheers

Nevermind
05-30-2003, 01:47 PM
True.